Modular PSU Recommendations

I need some recommendations for a good modular ~800 watt PSU for around $150. I'm planning on building a Core i7 system with 1 GTX 260 initially, but eventually plan to run another in SLI.

I saw the thread where some people said that the 620 HX could potentially handle a system like this, but I'd like some headroom for the future. The main reason I want to go with modular is because I'll be using an Antec 900 case and I've heard it sucks for cable management.

620HX won't run SLI with 2 cards that require dual PCIE pins. Well I guess you could use the molex and power connectors if you want the system to look like shit inside.

My ST70F of similar series (newer though) has been running superb and audibly silent with my set up.

The 620HX has been shipping with 4xPCI-e connectors for awhile now. The original I bought didn't, but the one I bought last year has 2x8-pin's, and 2x6-pin's.

I would go with an Ultra X3 850 and is not much more than the HX620 (also a great PSU). There us no tax and shipping is only $1.99. This one is the same price as the Antec SG850 and a little better.

The 620HX has been shipping with 4xPCI-e connectors for awhile now. The original I bought didn't, but the one I bought last year has 2x8-pin's, and 2x6-pin's.

You can still get the 4xPCIe set of cables from Corsair for free, that's what I did anyways for my 620hx :) BTW, it's on sale at Fry's B&M for $100AR

You might want to consider this Mushkin 800 Watt PSU. It's get's a soild review here:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/mushkin_xp800ap_800w/

You can buy it @ Newegg for $139.99 plus shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817812006

Or...You can save yourself appx. $20.00 & buy it direct from Mushkin:

http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/power_supply/xp-800ap.asp

Mushkin carries a nice 5-year warranty. I'm doing a little more research on this PSU @ the moment. One feature I really dig is being able to switch from Quad to Single rail.

You might want to consider this Mushkin 800 Watt PSU. It's get's a soild review here:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/mushkin_xp800ap_800w/
That is not a proper review. Simply by the language, you can tell that the reviewer has practically no understanding of electronics.
One feature I really dig is being able to switch from Quad to Single rail.
That is a fairly useless feature. You may as well just leave it on single-rail all the time, since there are no real benefits to having many rails as opposed to a single one.

Given that I cannot find a proper review of that PSU, and this review indicates fairly high ripple at less than half of the PSU's rated output, I recommend that this PSU be avoided unless a proper review becomes available and it is shown to be a good-quality and reliable unit.

Zero: I'm not an expert @ PSU's. I just wanted to chime-in & let the person know that this Mushkin PSU has caught my eye (so to speak) I have always had good luck my Mushkin memory, customer support & rebates.

I think Mushkin is trying to follow Corsair's lead in the PSU segment. I wish I could find more information about Mushkin PSU. I posted a thread earlier tonight for any insight about their PSU track record.

Zero: I'm not an expert @ PSU's. I just wanted to chime-in & let the person know that this Mushkin PSU has caught my eye (so to speak) I have always had good luck my Mushkin memory, customer support & rebates.

I think Mushkin is trying to follow Corsair's lead in the PSU segment. I wish I could find more information about Mushkin PSU. I posted a thread earlier tonight for any insight about their PSU track record.
I realise that you're just trying to help. However, given the absence of any proof that that PSU is any good, your suggestion may do more harm than good. Hence why I always recommend the avoidance of PSUs for which proper reviews do not exist, since there is no way to know how good or bad they are. Otherwise, you might end up with something like this.

I need some recommendations for a good modular ~800 watt PSU for around $150. I'm planning on building a Core i7 system with 1 GTX 260 initially, but eventually plan to run another in SLI.
GTX 260SLI pull more +12V amperage than 280SLI or 285SLI, about +12V@32A with OUT any OC'ing, and of course you still must power the CPU, mobo, HDD's, etc, and have room for OC'ing, so we want a minimum of +12V@60A & +12V@70A would be preferred.

So +12V@60A to 70A & Modular:

$200: SILVERSTONE DECATHLON DA850 850W
+3.3V@28A,+5V@30A,+12V@70A,[email protected],[email protected]

$160: SILVERSTONE ST85F 850W
Max. Combined: +12V@70A
+3.3V@25A,+5V@30A,+12V1@35A,+12V2@35A, [email protected],[email protected]

$140: SILVERSTONE DA750 750W
+3.3V@28A,+5V@30A,+12V@60A,[email protected],[email protected]

I believe these Silverstones are your Best Buy's.

Always Build with the Best,
Dave :)

I realise that you're just trying to help. However, given the absence of any proof that that PSU is any good, your suggestion may do more harm than good. Hence why I always recommend the avoidance of PSUs for which proper reviews do not exist, since there is no way to know how good or bad they are. Otherwise, you might end up with something like this.

Zero: Fair enough. Point taken. I can't believe that Ultra would slap a 750 Watt label over the 550 watt PSU! Some companies. I always thought & read Ultra PSU were junk.

Anyway...I did find a more detailed review (Tech Power-Up) on the Mushkin 800 Watt PSU. Seems like a soild enough choice for the coin. They gave it a "Thumbs=Up"

Review:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Mushkin/XP-800AP

Anyway...I did find a more detailed review (Tech Power-Up) on the Mushkin 800 Watt PSU. Seems like a soild enough choice for the coin. They gave it a "Thumbs=Up"

Review:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Mushkin/XP-800AP
If you'll look above, you'll see that I actually posted that same review earlier. However, it is still not a proper review, since they did not load the PSU to its full capacity; they only used a bunch of resistors that produced a fixed load of about 350W, which is less than half of what the PSU is rated for. Therefore, we still have no indications regarding whether or not the PSU is actually capable of putting out the full amount of power it is supposed to, which means that we still don't know if it's any good or not.

If you wouldn't mind stepping up a bit, might I suggest the Corsair HX1000? Top of the line, really. JonnyGuru's review agrees too, and itsn't much more expensive than a lot of 800+ PSUs that don't have the reputation for quality that the Corsair, PC P&C and the new Enermax (possibly) do.

the one i bought this last week had 2 connectors, and every site i see has the specs at 2 not 4, hell there are only 2 connectors on the psu itself

I just got a Silverstone ST70F. I'm loving it. Quiet, modular, and efficient. I can only imagine the ST85F is just as good.

the one i bought this last week had 2 connectors, and every site i see has the specs at 2 not 4, hell there are only 2 connectors on the psu itself
The newer cables have two PCI-E connectors each instead of one. That's how you can have four.

Thanks for all the replies. Thanks especially to Dave for the information on GTX 260 current draw. Was this something you have tested yourself or can the information be found in documentation somewhere? Were the figures you listed for the newer 55nm cards?

I've decided to just go with 620HX, because I probably won't be upgrading to SLI for a while and this PSU was reasonably cheap with a mail in rebate and should last me until I need to upgrade.

Thanks for all the replies. Thanks especially to Dave for the information on GTX 260 current draw. Was this something you have tested yourself or can the information be found in documentation somewhere? Were the figures you listed for the newer 55nm cards?

I've decided to just go with 620HX, because I probably won't be upgrading to SLI for a while and this PSU was reasonably cheap with a mail in rebate and should last me until I need to upgrade.
The HX620W is an excellent PSU, rated at 50C & with a 5yr warranty, I use them myself.

X-Bit, Toms & AnandTech all publish "power consumption" information, as do ATI & nVidia.

Anyone have any opinions more opinions on that Silverstone ST70F?
Sounds like what TC needs.

Anyone have any opinions more opinions on that Silverstone ST70F?
Sounds like what TC needs.

Kind of low on the +12V rail considering that the BFG MX-680 and the Corsair 620HX have 51A and 50A on the +12V rail respectively. The ST70F has 50A on the +12V rail. Quality is decent though. Though I'm fairly share that the BFG MX-680 and the Corsair 620HX are of better quality.

Kind of low on the +12V rail considering that the BFG MX-680 and the Corsair 620HX have 51A and 50A on the +12V rail respectively. The ST70F has 50A on the +12V rail. Quality is decent though. Though I'm fairly share that the BFG MX-680 and the Corsair 620HX are of better quality.
The Corsair HX620 620W is a "quiet, server-grade" PSU rated at 50C, by far the best of this group.

Always Build with the Best,
Dave:)

Back