Monitor Decision Dell U3014 or another 23" Samsung

dpoverlord

[H]ard|Gawd
So currently I have 2 Samsung 2333T monitors, I saw the U3014 was down to $1200 and was considering buying it. I really do not have a specific reason as I am happy with the 23" but I have been itching to do my work and do a bit of gaming on a bigger screen.

Looking at my desk I think it would be difficult to do Nvidia Surround with 3 monitors. So this leaves me, I can get one large 30" monitor and get a 780/titan or stay as is / get another 23"

In your opinion with the new Asus, the 27" 120hz monitors, what is the best choice? I am really tempted to get the Titan but when I spoke with EVGA they said that even if I had the titan it would not work well with 2 23" 1920x1080 monitors coupled with 1 30" 2560 monitor.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I bit the bullet and bought the 30" Dell U3014 for $999 and now I need to figure which GPU and stand to get so I can put the Dell U3014 in the center for gaming and then utilize the 2 23" monitors for work.

Last edited:
Reading this here are your options and my suggestions:

First and foremost if you get 3 x 23 surround your gonna need more than just one titan to run that as thats quite a bit of gpu power needed, to save money you could do 2 780's and overclock it a bit and its basically a titan without the extra 3g and you save about 250 on if you get a 780 on one.

As for surround you can only do it 3 identical monitors with the same res, you can still use 2x23 monitors and a 30 but you wont be able to do surround on it. The xtra real estate on the 30 is amazing and honestly is worth the jump, pictures dont do justices at how big that monitor really is, Id personally go for the 30" get a 780 and save for another for some extra frames later on.

Thanks a lot, I may just go this route,

How would it work though with 2 monitors at 1920x1080 and 1 30" monitor at the higher 2560x1600 res?

First and foremost if you get 3 x 23 surround your gonna need more than just one titan to run that as thats quite a bit of gpu power needed, to save money you could do 2 780's and overclock it a bit and its basically a titan without the extra 3g and you save about 250 on if you get a 780 on one.

As for surround you can only do it 3 identical monitors with the same res, you can still use 2x23 monitors and a 30 but you wont be able to do surround on it. The xtra real estate on the 30 is amazing and honestly is worth the jump, pictures dont do justices at how big that monitor really is, Id personally go for the 30" get a 780 and save for another for some extra frames later on.

compeltely wrong,

running surround with one 670 gtx 2gb
sounds like someone who jus repeats things they read without experience.

How does the pc / games work if you have one monitor at 2560x1600 and 2 monitors at 1920x1080 is it possible to work?

I aint saying you cant run surround at that 1920x1080x3 but its not gonna be on high just medium settings- so you can do it on a 780. as for pc gaming, you can only run it on the 2560x1600 or one the other two monitors.

I aint saying you cant run surround at that 1920x1080x3 but its not gonna be on high just medium settings- so you can do it on a 780. as for pc gaming, you can only run it on the 2560x1600 or one the other two monitors.

I bit the bullet and bought the 30" Dell U3014 for $999 and now I need to figure which GPU and stand to purchase. I was considering a Titan or 780... Is it possible to run the 2 23" so that I can put the Dell U3014 in the center for gaming and then utilize the 2 23" monitors for work.

Would there be issues with resolution?

just get the 780 save the 250 for something else. And you can run the 30" using the displayport connection and the other two using the dvi connections.

All of dells new models suffer from obvious ghosting (overshoot) and all 30"monitors are wide gamut=inaccurate and over saturated colors in games.

180 $ 23" IPS have better+adjust able colors vs. Dells 30" sRGB modes.

The 3014 has really high input lag except when using the game mode, but the game mode has poor colors, locked color settings and does not cover the sRGB color space.

Get a 27" 1440p monitor instead

Last edited:
Are there any 30" Monitors that would work, or is there a more significant difference with the 27" it's not to late to cancel $980 seemed like a good deal.

really its just 16.9 to 16:10, 3" difference and some resolution, it really depends now on what you want most, just preference thing at this point and ya cost, a 27" is about 650.

All 30" are wide gamut and aside from the 3014 they all have grainy matte coatings and poor black levels.

Back