monitor or video card?

schapman

Gawd
I figured this is the best place to try this as you guru's like to lurk around here.

So here's my issue:

My display has been acting up lately and I'm trying to narrow down the problem to a couple things. I'll be working normally when all of a sudden a chunk of my display (about 5" thick) around the middle part of my monitor goes mad blurry. Above and below this is fine, and there's the odd time (about 1 in 15) where my whole display goes all screwy. It usually goes away after a while on it's own, or sometimes if I do thing like change around the refresh rate. My first thought is that the CRT is dying (its an approx 4-5 yr old samsung 950p 19"). I'm also wondering if it could be a video card issue. I figured at first that lowering the stress on the monitor might help so I dropped my rez down to 1280x1024. This worked for a couple days, then i also had to drop my refresh down to 60Hz. Last night when the issue popped up I raised the refresh back up to 70Hz and it cleared up (though the crt is startign to have problems with anything over 60Hz, it gets the jigglies).

I'm thinking (though its more unlikely) that it could be the video card (9700pro that I bought in week 1 of release).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. OH, and i don't really have the hardware handing to just try swapping stuff out so I'm hoping you'll be able to give me a "mostly sure" answer :)

Thanks for any input.

hmmm, my guess would be the card, make sure to get the latest drivers. if that doesn't help (as chances are it won't, this sounds kind of like a heat problem), make sure the card isn't overheating... also, probably the best way to tell if it your monitor or not is to grab another monitor from your attick/garage or a friend or something and hook it up to see if you get the same problems

Cat 5.7s (i'm a driver whore)

I don't think it's overheating as I've go a replacement hsf on it already that's been going strong, and some extra fans in there.

I know the best bet is trying another monitor.. its just a matter of scroungin one up from someone. I'm hoping someone here has run across my issue.

note to mod:
I put this in general hardware because i didnt know if it was a monitor or video card issue :)

thanks for the move if needed though.

hmmm, if its not overheating, then it may be the drivers, update them. i had a problem back in my 98 days with my drivers, whenever i closed a game or anything that was fullscreen, i lost an inch on both sides of the screen. updated drivers fixed it

EDIT: oh yea, are the most recent drivers installed right now? at this point it could be that the new drivers are unstable, and you may want to roll back to the old drivers... just a thought though

Havent seen this issue before. I'm wondering if havign my monitor next to my tv did cooked the monitor.

as seen:

imgp09027rc.jpg

The tv does affect the monitor (i see the offset refresh rates scrollin down the monitor.) maybe i should try moving it and see what happens.

Back