Monitorling clients in VMs or native Linux

APOLLO

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2009
Anyone monitoring their Linux clients with FahSpy? If so, what did you do to get the monitoring program to detect your Linux clients?

TIA

I don't use FahSpy, but in what way is its client detection method different from FahMon or HFM.NET? As long as you have a valid path to the client's log file, you should be able to monitor it unless FahSpy does things drastically differently.

I don't use FahSpy, but in what way is its client detection method different from FahMon or HFM.NET? As long as you have a valid path to the client's log file, you should be able to monitor it unless FahSpy does things drastically differently.
I've tried dozens of times in the past and have yet to get it to work. I don't know. I've seen some rather elaborate methods on other forums and I believe it's a hit or miss thing by only typing in the path, from what I read. In any case, it just doesn't work for me. :confused:

Have you considered switching to a different app? Or are you set on using FahSpy?

Have you considered switching to a different app? Or are you set on using FahSpy?
The only other one I'm aware of is Fahmon, but I had tons of problems in the past with that app and always disliked its interface. I'd rather do without a monitoring app than got back to that one, TBH. To date, FahSpy only monitors my Windows clients so I never have a precise way of knowing my real-time PPD, even in ballpark range. I'm used to this after running Linux on some of my machines for over a year, but would like to finally get this problem resolved - if it can.

Do you have file sharing set up on your Linux clients? Even if they are on VMs you'll need to enable sharing on the folding folder and install Samba. If you do that then you should be able to see your machines over the network and follow the path to your folding files.

Do you have file sharing set up on your Linux clients? Even if they are on VMs you'll need to enable sharing on the folding folder and install Samba. If you do that then you should be able to see your machines over the network and follow the path to your folding files.
That's probably the problem. I have a very basic distro of Linux installed and Samba may not even be included. Even if it's there, I will need to do everything through the terminal to get it to work. Too much hassle and too many installations to really want to do this now. Maybe next year when I change distros, if I ever bother.

Before using this distro, I tried many other distros and I remember some of them were very easy to get file sharing enabled and set up. Unfortunately, I was still never able to get my clients monitored, though. At this point, I think I'm just going forget it. I've been having a lot of issues lately with my farm in regards to Linux and other unrelated folding issues. This is the least important on my list of priorities to resolve.

Hmmm, it probably won't be much easier than setting up sharing because it will still require you to install some packages that probably aren't included in your distro but if you know anything about running Mono (I don't) then hfm.net can be installed on linux. Here's some info, albeit Ubuntu instructions: http://groups.google.com/group/hfm-net/web/hfm-in-ubuntu

Back