More Amazon PC downloads 12/29

Anyone know if DA2 can be activated on Origin? I figure it's probably worth $6, although I was certain it wasn't worth $60 at release.

Can Amazon game downloads be gifted?

Don't think so, but you can just give the individual the cd key and they can activate it through steam themselves. I believe only steam purchased games can be gifted.

If a game is Steam activated then why can't you just give the person the key and they can download and activate it from steam?

Don't think so, but you can just give the individual the cd key and they can activate it through steam themselves. I believe only steam purchased games can be gifted.
Steam and Origin can be gifted.

I strongly recommend

Dead Space series
Mass Effect series
Dragon Age series (even 2 was well worth it; minus the similar dungeons, game was well done)
Crysis if you haven't already

GGGrrrrrrr, i just picked up both mass effect 2 and dead space 2, and neither of them work on steam! :(

Hmm, Think I'll wait for the Dragon Age 2 Ultimate Edition to come out. ...so I don't buy it twice like I did Dragon Age 1.

edit: by the way, I think the EA Uber pack is an incredible deal for anyone who doesn't already have those titles. It's got almost all the best EA games in 1 shot. None of them are Steam keys though.
Uber bundle $89 with the exception of battleforge, there isn't a bad game in the pack!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Um, ME2 is a Steam game. I should know... I have it in my library from last year's sale.

He didn't say "available on Steam", he said "Steamworks". There's a difference.

If it's a Steamworks title then the key registers on Steam. Other than that only very specific titles can be purchased via a 3rd party and registered on Steam.

So in honor of this little discussion, I decided to scroll through my Steam Catalog and enter EVERY SINGLE CD Key from Steam into origin.

here's a list of MY steam keys that also worked on Origin:
Alice
BF3 Beta Key
Burnout Paradise The Ultimate box
CNC Red Alert 3
Dead Space 2
DA: Origins Digital Deluxe
DA: Origins - Ultimate Edition
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect Pinnacle Station DLC <-- not ME1 just the DLC (bought this for my steam copy)
Medal of Honor

So in honor of this little discussion, I decided to scroll through my Steam Catalog and enter EVERY SINGLE CD Key from Steam into origin.

here's a list of MY steam keys that also worked on Origin:
Alice
BF3 Beta Key
Burnout Paradise The Ultimate box
CNC Red Alert 3
Dead Space 2
DA: Origins Digital Deluxe
DA: Origins - Ultimate Edition
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect Pinnacle Station DLC <-- not ME1 just the DLC (bought this for my steam copy)
Medal of Honor
Steam keys work on origin. However, origin keys don't work on steam. Hence, any EA game purchased from Amazon will not register on steam.

Well, I guess I'm in for a copy of Dead Space 2 since I haven't touched my PS3 copy and the PC version is much better from what I've been reading. I'm tempted to pick up a copy of ME2 so I can play through again and import my progress into ME3. Only problem is the brightness/contrast issue with the PC version of ME2 will probably annoy me too much after playing through the PS3 version which fixed the issue.

In any case, I love all of these PC game sales!

So wait, are you forced to use Origin with these? Or will the work on steam?

I have no plans of using Origin anytime soon.

Anyone see Saints Row the Third DLC on sale anywhere? It's the LAST game content I'm going to buy until Mass Effect 3. Thanks in advance!

I don't know if any of these require Origin, but for sure, none of them will provide you with Steam keys.

EA is probably the worst major publisher when it comes to Steam integration. Very few of their games on Steam even provide basic Steam functions like cloud saves or achievements. Only one I can think of right now is Shank, and that's just an indie game published by EA, not an in-house EA game afaik.

Btw, I don't know why people seem to automatically assume that games bought on Amazon, of all places, would have Steam keys. It's the exception, not the rule, and only a recent development since Steamworks started to become widely used.

I don't know if any of these require Origin, but for sure, none of them will provide you with Steam keys.

EA is probably the worst major publisher when it comes to Steam integration. Very few of their games on Steam even provide basic Steam functions like cloud saves or achievements. Only one I can think of right now is Shank, and that's just an indie game published by EA, not an in-house EA game afaik.

Btw, I don't know why people seem to automatically assume that games bought on Amazon, of all places, would have Steam keys. It's the exception, not the rule, and only a recent development since Steamworks started to become widely used.

Origin is not required for these games (unless is BF3 and even that u can run it without Origin) however you can take these keys and register them with Origin without a problem.

Apart from BF3 and NFS Run, you can download the games from Amazon's servers and would not need origin running.

So to 'splain the whole "What activates on what," thing:

Games that activate on Steam are almost all Steamworks games. What that means is they require Steam, because they use it for copyprotection. So if a game doesn't do that, it almost never activates on Steam. Doesn't matter that the game is sold on Steam, only the Steamworks titles activate.

Origin is a little different. It activates any recent EA title. The only one that actually requires Origin is Battlefield 3, all the rest run fine without it. However any recent, like 2008 or newer, title activates on Origin no problem. Just feed it the key and it'll activate. That only applies to EA titles though. Origin is EA's thing.

So three examples:

1) Buy Deus Ex Human Revolution on Amazon. It will activate on Steam and you HAVE to activate it on Steam. It uses Steam for copyprotection so it'll install Steam if you don't already have it. If you do, just take the code and enter it in to Steam and you are done.

2) Buy Mass Effect 2 on Amazon. It will activate on Origin, if you wish, but it isn't required. It runs fine by itself. You can use it either way (and activation it on Origin doesn't preclude you from using it without Origin). It will NOT activate on Steam at all, you'd have to buy it on Steam to get it there.

3) Buy Anno 2070 on Amazon. You can only get it from Amazon, it won't activate on Steam or Origin. It isn't EA so no Origin, and it isn't Steamworks so no Steam. You'll have to fetch it from Amazon directly.

yupp, it sure is confusing, isn't it?

Steam has become my barrier to entry anymore for PC Games. There are 1-2 exceptions. For example GOG has a nice no-DRM system. blizzard also has their system squared away.

Origin makes me cringe.
Just today, I manually plugged in 27 unique keys for EA titles which I have physical media for. not a single one of them activated on origin. Not even titles that they have made available for download on origin.

The first thing I do after finding a nice deal on Amazon is to investigate whether it is a Steam Activated product, or a Steamworks title. If it's not, I'll opt to pay more to get it on Steam.

Origin makes me cringe.
Just today, I manually plugged in 27 unique keys for EA titles which I have physical media for. not a single one of them activated on origin. Not even titles that they have made available for download on origin.

When did you buy those games? if they're bought before 2009 they WILL NOT activate over Origin, if they where bought after 2009 and you're having problems activating them through Origin. Talk to chat support they will manually activate them for you or give you new keys for Origin. I bought Bulletstorm a year ago via direct2drive and refused to activate via Origin. Talk to chat support and they gave me a new key, added it my Origin account and through in a 35% coupon off any title for my bitching.

Steam has become my barrier to entry anymore for PC Games. There are 1-2 exceptions. For example GOG has a nice no-DRM system. blizzard also has their system squared away.

Origin makes me cringe.

The first thing I do after finding a nice deal on Amazon is to investigate whether it is a Steam Activated product, or a Steamworks title. If it's not, I'll opt to pay more to get it on Steam.

Not remotely confusing. Just requires people to do about fifteen seconds of research. I honestly don't understand why people would willingly waste more money to have a game on Steam. I just don't get it.

Origin makes me cringe.

Amazon is just as good as GOG. They even say you're licensed to install a copy on every computer you own. The downloader supports resumes and it's pretty fast.

Personally for me when a natural disaster hits, Steam refuses to go into Offline Mode. So I can't access my Steam library until the internet come back on. And the cable is the last thing to be repaired in my area as it is run on light poles and requires that the entire electric grid be repaired first. So even though I may have electricity, my games aren't available to me until everyone has electricity.

That's why I started buying games on Amazon. Some DRM like Ubisoft's requires you to have the "remember me" boxes checked to play in Offline Mode, but in general you can play your library. Of course games like DarkSpore require internet regardless so you can't play those.

Before someone chimes in that I hate Steam, I don't. I actually love their service the way it is and leave it running 24/7. I just like having the ability to play my games without internet access even more.

You also get a code for $5 credit toward the purchase of the top selling game downloads of 2011 good starting 1/1/2012 and good through 1/31/2012.

I bought dead space 2 for 4.99 and got a code for $5 off my next qualifying purchase

To bad I was going to buy Dragon Age Ultimate Edition. But I cannot activated it on Steam so I'll just wait.

Amazon is just as good as GOG. They even say you're licensed to install a copy on every computer you own. The downloader supports resumes and it's pretty fast.
I'm thinking about giving the Amazon system a spin with Dragon Age 2.

...when a natural disaster hits...
This is a serious flaw in the system. I agree with you on this point. I'm not sure if any 'preppers' have a fail safe method for doing without long term internet connectivity. Docking your main PC in offline mode every day isn't going to happen.

I've been bit by the same scenario a couple of times myself, under different circumstances.

During a natural disaster are you really going to worry about your game library?

So wait, people actually consider if a game will play through Steam or Origin before buying it? That's plain silly.

There will be an ultimate edition launching on the Feb. 7 of next year that is basically a GOTY edition.
I thought it was only on PS3 and X360 since that is the listing I have seen.
GOTY will be around $40-$50 and won't be discounted until mid next year so I still think it is worth it to get FONV for $5 w/ select DLC.

Back