More computer problems... :(

Lone_Star_Lynch

Limp Gawd
So, yesterday my brother and I got home from our older brother's house, and he turned on his monitor to see a BSOD, something about the physical memory being dumped. Restarted, NTLDR is missing, so as we tried to fix that (seems every time we have a PC pronlem it's NTLDR is missing), and after we restarted the computer one time, we get nothing on the monitor, but a check signal box bouncing around. We've tried pretty much everything, 3 different graphics cards, 3 different monitors, a VGA to DVI adapter, messed with the memory, took out the PCI wireless internet card, put the graphics card in the second x16 slot in the ASUS m2n4 sli, nothing. The power LED on the mobo is on, so I don't think it's the PSU or mobo really. His case is an Antec 900 which didn't come with a speaker on it so we can't listen to any beep codes. I've pressed the source button on the two flat panels we tried, get nothing. The check signal box goes away but the led just blinks and nothing shows. WTF is wrong with this computer?

ASUS M2N4-SLI AM2 mobo
Athlon 64 X2 3800+ @ stock (2.0 ghz)
2x 1 gb patriot eXtreme performance DDR2 800 memory, 2x 512m mb PNY Gamer RAM DDR2 800
the 3 cards we tried are a Norwood Micro 6600, a Biostar 512mb 7600 gs, and a BFG Tech 512 mb 7950 gt.
If it matters, APEVIA Iceberg 680 watt PSU, the one with the window on the top and blue sleeving.
OS disc is a WD Caviar SE16 250gb SATA 300

Pull out all but one stick of ram and try to get into the BIOS. Once you get in, lower the speed to DDR2-667 and save/exit/shutdown. Pop the other matching stick in and see if it POSTs. If that doesnt work, try another PSU, with only the essentials plugged in (cpu/hsf/mobo/ram/psu/kb/monitor... all outside of the case if inside doesnt work).

BTW, that PSU sucks. Get a real PSU. Check Jonnyguru.com for recommendations.

Tried a different PSU, didn't work...

If you are getting the NTDLR message it must be the Hard drive. After all it does look like you tried everything. :(

Could be, but I have every hard drive unplugged now, lol. The SATA drive that used to be in it is working happily now in a different computer, well one that as an XP 2500+ in it, and a geforce 5600 :(

Tried a different PSU, didn't work...

Could be, but I have every hard drive unplugged now, lol. The SATA drive that used to be in it is working happily now in a different computer, well one that as an XP 2500+ in it, and a geforce 5600 :(

Then the only thing that can cause the problem would be the motherboard's driver management or the filing manager. Sorry I can't help anymore. :(

If you are getting the NTDLR message it must be the Hard drive. After all it does look like you tried everything. :(
Restarted, NTLDR is missing, so as we tried to fix that (seems every time we have a PC pronlem it's NTLDR is missing), and after we restarted the computer one time, we get nothing on the monitor, but a check signal box bouncing around.

This is why its not just a HDD issue, lol.

Tried the RAM trick, did nothing. I'll try it out with my PSU soon, see what happens...

Did you try no ram at all with a case speaker plugged in? It should at least give you some error beeps. If not, it might be the motherboard. Also, try re-seating the CPU and resetting the CMOS.

Back