More iBook modding...

Remember my iBook G4 with the black keyboard?
P1010005.JPG

It got an 80GB hard drive when the 30 died last week...

and clear blue plastic model paint on the Apple logo and sleep LEDs
p1010014.jpg

p1010015.jpg

I was going to just use blue cellophane, but then decided that with paint, I could make it all swirly and textured.

p1010017.jpg

The sleep LED really looks MUCH deeper blue than that, matching the logo.

Interesting. I only wish apple had used clear plastic on the ibook g4 insted of white plastic. Thats what I like about my g3. I have it clear. Too bad it is showing its age bad and I'm going to retire it soon I think.

Nice work, though I'm not digging the black keyboard deal. But other than that, nice work man!

Yes. I had an iBook G3 that died (and was replaced by this machine), which I was going to give the full clear blue treatment.

I'm looking into other possibilities for keyboards. There was a site a long time ago that sold clear blue keyboards, but it has long died...

I use to have a ibook 600 overclocked that had a clear palm rest. One of my friend had found the palm rest over in japan and bought it for me. That was sweet. I wish I had one for my 800. As far as colored keyboards I've seen them before but I think the guy that did it pulled the keys off another keyboard that he found with the same style connectors on the bottem of the keys. I think they were off a toshbia with a blue keyboard but I could be wrong.

I wonder if the top lids could be interchanged between the G3's and G4's. I just bought a couple of cases off of ebay for 3 bucks each and just game my iBook G3 the clear lid treatment. Anyone have both models lying around to check?

I like the pics but I was wondering where you got or what you did to get black keys on the beautiful white iBook. Can tell right now it's not paint. ;)

e740Samurai said:
The keys are Ti Powerbook keys. You can just pop off the keycaps and switch them.

Yea if I remember thats what he did but the TI powerbook keyboard will also just work with the ibook if I recall. The taps at the bottem don't line up right though so you would have to use double sided tape or something to hold the bottem down.

Back