MOSFET cooling question

TGA

Gawd
Guys I have a Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P with an Enzotech MST-88 MOSFET heat sink on the way. For those no familiar with the products above the heat sink is a one piece design that mounts to the board and not a stick on sink.

My question is a TIM related one. While I don't receive the hardware until tomorrow I believe the heat sink comes with a TIM pad already attached like what is found on an Retail Boxed CPU heat sink.

I am wondering if I would be better off using the supplied TIM or some of the AS Ceramic I have? Are the MOSFETS usually rather even where good contact can be had with a thin layer of thermal grease or are they often rather uneven requiring something thicker like a TIM pad for proper contact?

I am all for the usual try both and see what works best for you but I have no replacement for the TIM pad should I find that the AS C doesn't work.

Thanks

The circuitry in that area usually isn't perfectly even, so you'd probably be better off sticking with the pad. They don't need much cooling anyway, so even the pad will be more than sufficient.

Back