Motherboard suggestions...

cnealjr

Gawd
I've currently got a PC-DL with dual 1.6lv's running at 3.2. I have been itching to go the PCI-e video card route, but haven't wanted to have to scrap a wonderful platform. Is there any motherboard out there that is socket 604 that has pci-e instead of agp, and if so, are they overclocker friendly? I just absolutely love my 100% overclock on this board, but would love to migrate to some newer video card technology. Any suggestions are welcome, and thanks!

Well, after a bit of searching, I found that the Iwill DN800-SLI board will take socket 604 Xeons and offers PCI-e video. Any thoughts on this board, and do you think my LV 1.6's would run in this?

The DN800 should support LV Xeons as long as they're 800MHz FSB. I wouldn't expect to see the same overclocking performance out of the DN800 as you are now though, simply because of the chipset.

Well, these particular xeons are 100mhz (quad pumped of course to 400) native parts. That's what was so great about the PC-DL - dual socket board, but based off a desktop chipset, so there were lots of OC functions in the bios, with a few tweaks like u-wiring the sockets to bump core voltage and an easy VDIMM mod to bump the voltage for the memory, you had insane 100% overclocks on most of the low voltage processors, at least the D1 stepping of the 1.6ghz cores. I knew I was probably going to be disappointed in looking for upgrade paths for these chips, but it never hurts to ask.

cnealjr said:
Well, these particular xeons are 100mhz (quad pumped of course to 400) native parts. That's what was so great about the PC-DL - dual socket board, but based off a desktop chipset, so there were lots of OC functions in the bios, with a few tweaks like u-wiring the sockets to bump core voltage and an easy VDIMM mod to bump the voltage for the memory, you had insane 100% overclocks on most of the low voltage processors, at least the D1 stepping of the 1.6ghz cores. I knew I was probably going to be disappointed in looking for upgrade paths for these chips, but it never hurts to ask.

Yeah, 400's will not work in the DN800's. So you're pretty much out of luck there.
I'm rusty on the current Xeon LVs, so dunno what'd be the next step up I'm afraid. :(

Back