Motherboard w/ onboard video and PCIE card?

mrmagoo_83

2[H]4U
I thought I while back I had knowledge of newer boards being capable of running their onboard video along side a PCIE installed card. Am I imagining this, or is it true? I have slept a few times, had a kid, and many other things since I last examined this stuff, so I could be way off the mark.

It is true on quite a few boards. I know 3 Asus AMD based boards supported this as my brother used the onboard HDMI to run his HDTV while his video card ran his monitors.

Cool, I will have to look into that, was looking at adding a second video card or something, but if I can find a new cpu and motherboard i can use my current video card. I'm looking at some AMD stuff from Microcenter, need to upgrade this Core 2 Duo Xeon processor I have to a quad core. I'm a little late on updating.

Right now I know of only 1 chipset that we offer that will support both the on-board graphics or IGP (Intergraded Graphics on Processor) and a dedicated video card at the same time and have both work and that is the Z68 chipset. With the Z68 you can add in the dedicated video card and still run on the IGP to give support for 3 or more displays.

I set up a new computer for my brother last year and his AMD 890GX motherboard runs nicely with a HDTV connected to the onboard graphics via hdmi and his monitor connected to a Radeon HD 4890. Just rtfm to find out the exact bios settings you need for the onboard graphics to work with a PCIe graphics card, I had to change a few of the default IGP settings for it to work. No idea if this'll work with a Nvidia graphics card.

Hybrid Crossfire, I knew I had read about this somewhere. Glad to see I wasn't losing my mind, so now I just need to find a cheap motherboard with this, and a cpu to go with it.

I set up a new computer for my brother last year and his AMD 890GX motherboard runs nicely with a HDTV connected to the onboard graphics via hdmi and his monitor connected to a Radeon HD 4890. Just rtfm to find out the exact bios settings you need for the onboard graphics to work with a PCIe graphics card, I had to change a few of the default IGP settings for it to work. No idea if this'll work with a Nvidia graphics card.

My brothers older setup was a GTX260 with an AMD quadcore and the onboard video enabled.

Back