Mount H70 rad on case wall ?

Grackdor

n00b
Hi all,

So, my parts for a new Sandy Bridge build are on the way. It will have an H70, in a 800D case.

I was considering mounting the H70 rad directly on the rear case wall, with a push/pull fan setup, one inside & one outside the case. ( The shrouds are just gutted 25mm case fan frames. Fans are Gentle Typhoons 1850's)

Kinda like this:

fan -- shroud-- case wall --rad -- shroud -- fan

My main concerns are whether this will get too hot for the case wall metal ? Also, will doing it this way reduce the cooling efficiency in any way ?

Has anyone here done it this way ? I see most setups with all the fans & shrouds inside the case.

And lastly, would your answer / advice change depending on whether the fans were set as exhuast or intake ?

Thanks very much for any help for a new H70 owner !

It wont hurt anything the rad doesn't get hot enough to hurt anything. The fans should exhaust out of the back.

nope that wont hurt anything. that will be a huge system though i hope youll post pics when youre done. i just changed out my h50 for an h70 a few days ago and so far its great.

I did it exactly the way you're talking about, minus the shrouds.

H70Exhaust.jpg

Temperatures actually stayed roughly the same or dropped just a little, because moving that extra fan outside gave the instakes up top more room to shove cooler air down into the rest of the case.

it certainly can get hot enough, I fold 24/7 and at 80-90*C the case wall acts as a heatsink, enough to make my USB ports do funky things...

it certainly can get hot enough, I fold 24/7 and at 80-90*C the case wall acts as a heatsink, enough to make my USB ports do funky things...

How does it cause your usb ports to act weird? That's strange.

Thanks everyone, it sounds like it should be fine. (Although I had wondered about stuff like "85 5.0L" posted above....the heat spreading down the case wall to do nasty things to connectors and the like.)

But, the 800D is a tank of a case, and I think I'll be ok.....although I am curious as well about the heat messing up the USB ports......

Thanks everyone, it sounds like it should be fine. (Although I had wondered about stuff like "85 5.0L" posted above....the heat spreading down the case wall to do nasty things to connectors and the like.)

But, the 800D is a tank of a case, and I think I'll be ok.....although I am curious as well about the heat messing up the USB ports......

I don't see how it would, But i guess if the components are not made for it.

This is how I have mine set up (excuse the electrical tape; I've been too lazy to properly file and grommet the gaps for the tubing).

wp000036.jpg

I had it originally like you planned, but moving the radiator outside the case entirely was a huge boon to my CPU temps. The case does get a little warm around the radiator but hasn't harmed anything yet.

I don't see how it would, But i guess if the components are not made for it.

the ports are right next to the radiator(rear exhaust on my p180) so the ports are becoming heatsoaked to the point of killing connectivity

how are you running 24/7 at 80-90*C?? if ur cpu runs that hot 24/7 why not build an energy miser box for folding??

This is how I have mine set up (excuse the electrical tape; I've been too lazy to properly file and grommet the gaps for the tubing).

wp000036.jpg

I had it originally like you planned, but moving the radiator outside the case entirely was a huge boon to my CPU temps. The case does get a little warm around the radiator but hasn't harmed anything yet.

Have you recorded the difference in temps by moving the rad outside of the case? How much did the temps drop?

how are you running 24/7 at 80-90*C?? if ur cpu runs that hot 24/7 why not build an energy miser box for folding??

sometimes even pegged at 100*C haha

bigadv requires 24/7 folding :)

Have you recorded the difference in temps by moving the rad outside of the case? How much did the temps drop?

I didn't do proper benchmarks in both states, but going from memory I'm seeing an 8-9 degree drop. It's attached to an i5-2500k OC'ed to 4.6ghz and temps just brush the low 60's when stress testing.

Eww, nice think I'm going to do the same thing with my h70 and put one of the fans out side of the case. using a lian-li v1020r so the rear 120mm is hallow.

Back