Move Steam games from OS drive to second internal hard drive

theDreamer

2[H]4U
So, all my Steam games are installed on my OS drive, and I now have two 750GB drives I can use for anything. I am going to be using one for music, maybe FLAC but unsure yet (something lossless). The second I was looking at using for all my games, but steam is already installed on my OS drive.
My first question, can I easily migrate all the games to a new hard drive with any issues with files not finding things (directory path)? Or, do I just need to uninstall everything and re-download steam and install it to the new hard drive? The second one will take some time (many games), but if it is the easiest, then I am not worried about the time.

Thanks.

Copy steam directory to the new drive, reinstall the steam MSI.
It will show everything as preloaded and ready to go. :)
Plus, no more annoying DL's from reloaded games.

You don't even need to reinstall it.

Just move the steam folder to your new location and run the steam.exe....that's it.

You don't even need to reinstall it.

Just move the steam folder to your new location and run the steam.exe....that's it.

But then you don't get the main shortcuts without re-finding the directories. I'd say its easier just to run the steam install again and point it towards the opposite drive, redoes all the shortcuts and start menu items.

Back