Movie Industry Is WAY Out Of Touch With Reality

Sounds like they are 10 years behind and some much red tape

HAHAHA ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! The below is from another article about the RealDVD lawsuit, where they were found guilty for allowing people to Copy DVDs. So they want to do what was deemed illegal now?

"
The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) filed suit against the company over alleged violations of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) and breach of contract in a lawsuit filed last fall. The MPAA's assertion was simple -- consumers do not have the right to copy DVD movies -- ever.
"

I found this extremely funny as how do they now copy these old DVDs without circumventing the existing protection!
"circumvents a technological measure that effectively controls access to or copying of the Studios' copyrighted content on DVDs"

With ISP Data caps this simply isnt feasible, Ok Comcast shuts you off after 250 Gig or cough up another $59, they are all in bed together and just wanna squeeze us all for every dollar.

I'm all for losing the disc, but I need more rights with the files if I'm to buy into the digital only way of doing things. Until then, it's discs for the things I can't get digitally with comparable quality and as far as movies are concerned, the quality isn't there. At least with music I can get a lot of the stuff I listen to in FLAC format. Whatever I can't purchase in a lossless format I buy on disc and usually it's cheaper (at least from Amazon).

So it's OK for a "sanctioned" MPAA representative to make copies of a DVD or BR, but consumers ("owners"), licensees or whatever BS label they're giving purchasers this week aren't allowed to make their own copy of a DVD or BR they "own". This would be truly laughable if the MPAA weren't agressively using the "legal system" to bully supposedly guilty file "sharers".

I think it makes sense, all our movies and TV shows will be in the cloud eventually, as you can't expect everybody to maintain a costly RAID or JBOD setup with lots of movies (many being identical.)
So few movies are available for download and so many are out of the market that it also makes sense to ask people to bring their own discs to rip.

But it's the implementation I have doubts about:
  • Is this just for Warner movies or across all studios or even better, independent from any studio?
  • Will the datacenter be monitoring who watches "my" movies?
  • Does "my" include my kids and family?
  • Do they correlate IP addresses and watching times in case I'm watching a family movie together with my kid who is watching it from his dorm room?
  • Is the rip a full rip identical to the disc, like 7GB for a DVD 40GB or so for a BD, or is it some lossy converted video?
  • Does it contain all the audio and subtitle/cc tracks?
  • Does it include the extras or the extras discs, or is it just the bare movie?
  • How do they know if my DVD/BD is a legal copy? I suppose they can't allow ripping illegal copies.
  • Will this scheme work for all movies or just the blockbusters because it's more profitable for a private company. Just like Netflix streaming does not do anything for real movie buffs.
  • Does it work internationally? I have movies purchased from all over the world, I lived in 3 different countries over 2 continents, my movie collection has always followed me so far and I never bought a DVD drive that couldn't be set to multiregion. Now it's all ripped on 24TB and I'm moving continent again.
  • Why just DVD and not BD or CD discs? Or even books, payslips, official papers, anything you want to digitize.

Ultimately, we may not be able to buy movies anymore, just an electronic barcode or GUID license key we enter on the web site to prove we purchased the movie and can access it in any format.
There would be no need to actually rip anything, only the first time someone brings a specific disc. Next user with the same disc will immediately get his access code if the disc is recognized as already ripped from its disc ID and some checksum of its file structure.

So it's OK for a "sanctioned" MPAA representative to make copies of a DVD or BR, but consumers ("owners"), licensees or whatever BS label they're giving purchasers this week aren't allowed to make their own copy of a DVD or BR they "own". This would be truly laughable if the MPAA weren't agressively using the "legal system" to bully supposedly guilty file "sharers".

Sure, just like it's legal for me to enter your house, if you invite me in, but illegal if you don't.

While you are the a movie studio's might disagree on your right to make copies of your DVDs I don't think anyone can dispute that the studio has the authority to grant an individual or group the right to copy the studio's products.

meh, rip and convert yourself.

their idea seems like a lot of trouble, if rip and convert yourself becomes too much trouble, just d/l off bit torrent...done:rolleyes:

meh, rip and convert yourself.

their idea seems like a lot of trouble, if rip and convert yourself becomes too much trouble, just d/l off bit torrent...done:rolleyes:

People still use bit torrent for that type of thing?

Why not just make it easy for people to do themselves? I mean it's not terribly hard as it is. Anyone who has the drive to figure it out can rip anything their heart desires.

This is ridiculous. I do audio / video encoding and transcoding as part of my job and have zero faith that they can do this right. At best they will be using de-duplication so that they can limit their storage. Hell, they probably have everything already ripped like Amazon or Netflix has and are just waiting for the occasional movie that they have to decrypt. Just imagine the bandwidth and time involved in "uploading" a DVD to their cloud service. I doubt that I will ever use that service. That they mentioned "Ultraviolet" I know that I never will.

At home I have compiled the 64bit version of FFMPEG for Windows to include libx264 and libfaac. I have installed Cygwin, mp4box and MediaInfo (CLI) so that I can automate the conversion as follows:

1) Detect the frame rate, resolution and crop. Crop accordingly.

2) Detect if the input is behind a pulldown or telecine layer. If so fix the frame rate because MediaInfo isn't always correct. Neither is FFMPEG when the content is bad. 24.35fps is not a valid frame rate. Neither is 27.64.

3) While converting or down-converting the content to MP4 fix the frame rate because sometimes it is wrong (as stated above). So wrong that sometimes frames are duplicated and and dropped during the encode. This can also happen sporadically when they have the new guy master the DVD and he mixed interlaced 29.970fps content with progressive 23.976fps content.

4) All content comes out post crop at a consistent .150 bit per pixel density regardless of input.

I can guarantee that my output is better than the crap that they will dish out. What I create I can also stream to the following depending on the resolution and frame rate of the target device:

1) Embedded flash using RTMP.

2) QuickTime or VLC via RTSP.

3) Android and Blackberry via RTSP.

4) iPhone, iPad and the iPod touch using HLS.

5) HTML 5 provided that you support MPEG-4 Part 10 on the browser side.

Would they actually take the time to:
1) Understand if there is a problem with the incoming content?
2) Fix it?

No, because consumers won't be able to tell the difference. Some content on Amazon and Netflix makes me go blind.

Would they be in trouble for breaking CSS if they didn't own the content? I'm sure that they would overlook that minor inconvenience. Or perhaps it is only for Warner owned content.

I'll just keep doing what I am doing so I can watch what I have using Roksbox to grab my content from my FreeNAS server via my wireless network.

If you get past the really bad wording the guy used, this doesn't seem like a bad start. I think people are getting to hung up on the "phases" of this plan. Basically it breaks down like this.
Phase 1:
Bring in your dvd to a store to do the digital conversion.
They wil give you back a "digital" file version of the movie that you can play on your pc, device, whatever.

Phase 2:
Retailers that offer VOD service as well as physical disc sales will email people that have bought "foo" dvd and will email them a code to download the VOD version of the movie for free.

Phase 3:
This is already happening now with newer titles that are sold in the BD/DVD/digital copy packs. Basically they include a code that you put into itunes or whatever so that it can keep track of your purchases and then copies the file from disc to your HD.

One being you take your DVD into the store and they convert it to digital files for you.
One word: Handbrake

So, in other words...

"Damn, DVD sales are slowing down, we need a way to milk some more money from the suckers, er, customers"
This, so much this.

Fucking MPAA and RIAA, first it was shutting down torrents, then it was funding/passing ACTA, and now this?
Don't they have enough money and power already?!

Ultimately, we may not be able to buy movies anymore, just an electronic barcode or GUID license key we enter on the web site to prove we purchased the movie and can access it in any format.

The day that happens is the day I completely boycott all of them along with the ones I have already boycotted for being heavy handed with DRM. No sweat fuckers, I don't need your shit rehashed movies.

Seems like a giant waste of time and bandwidth. I'd rather go into a store/buy online my Blurays and not worry about killing my monthly bandwidth limits uploading crap to them

Unfortunately, I have ZERO faith they will allow people to "access it in any format". No, I envision a sad world where you can only stream your movies to a device via an officially sanctioned player, owned/controlled by the MPAA and giving you no option to save the file locally for offline playback or playback on any non-supported devices (i.e. most of the AV hardware you may own today).

I rather have the blurays and DVD since the download and that netflix looks and sound like compressed crap smeared on a sidewalk with the good audio tracks like dts master audio removed

Back