MSI P6N SLI-FI / Platinum (650i) Thread

Also what is the average core temp under load for the e4300? I get about 70C when orthos has been running a bit. I idle around 45C, and this is with AC Freezer 7.

Hi everyone, just built a new system with this mobo and it rocks! I had the same trouble with temps that you did, and it turned out that I had applied too much thermal grease to the CPU. I'm only using the stock cooler, but once I cleaned off the grease, applied a smidgen on the center of the CPU, and reseated it, the temps went down a lot. My room temp is also 27C, the CPU idles at 32-33C, and when loaded with Orthos small FFT, only heats up to 56-58C.

I built a 120MM blowhole on the top of my case and added a pci slot fan to the bottom and am running 4x80mm fans two intake, two outtake and am adding 2 more 80mm for the side window but with the Arctic Cooling 7 I have temps of 26C idle CPU and 28C system! This is with a 3 ghz oc for 1500 FSB. Very easy mobo to oc.

I'm building a new system and here's my setup:

MSI P6N Platinum Mainboard
Intel C2D e4300 CPU (x9 multiplier)
2x1GB Ballistix DDR2 800MHz (4-4-4-12, 2.2.V) link

I'd like to OC the e4300 to at least 3.0Ghz.
I have some idea on how to do this, but I have a few questions.

It looks like most people set the FSB to 333 and the ratio to 1:1, resulting in 333x9=3GHz CPU speed and 333x2=667Mhz DDR2 speed.

Now for my specific RAM, is this the most efficient setup, or can I improve the performance by changing the timings?
Can I make it even tighter (3-3-3-12)? What kind of numbers would you suggest?
How about the voltage? Should I leave it at 2.2V?

Thanks.

Only thing I can tell you about the ram timings is to give them a try after you get the CPU OC dialed in. Leave them at spec until then, after that you'll have a stable system to try all the different timings at different voltages you want. I wouldn't go much over 2.3v on the ram unless you have excelant cooling in your case as the ram will get pretty hot.

Hello, Did the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler fits on MSI P6N SLI-FI ?

Actually I have a Thermaltake BigTyp 120 VX, and fits, I suppose that the Thermalright fits?
Did anyone know?

REALLY THANKS TO ALL :)

Hello, Did the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler fits on MSI P6N SLI-FI ?

Actually I have a Thermaltake BigTyp 120 VX, and fits, I suppose that the Thermalright fits?
Did anyone know?

REALLY THANKS TO ALL :)

From the first page in this thread, second post:

"Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme - "The only problem I had was... ...the fan clips were touching the added NB fan (the one that comes with the P6N platinum board)... I had to bend the clip towards me so that it would not touch and that fixed the issue." [Editor's note: See D_N_G's post on page 47 of this thread for details. Also, note that this HSF is the same overall size as the regular Ultra 120 and uses the same backplate mounting mechanism as several other later model Thermalright heatsinks]"

Only thing I can tell you about the ram timings is to give them a try after you get the CPU OC dialed in. Leave them at spec until then, after that you'll have a stable system to try all the different timings at different voltages you want. I wouldn't go much over 2.3v on the ram unless you have excelant cooling in your case as the ram will get pretty hot.

Thanks for the advice.

"Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme - "The only problem I had was... ...the fan clips were touching the added NB fan (the one that comes with the P6N platinum board)... I had to bend the clip towards me so that it would not touch and that fixed the issue." [Editor's note: See D_N_G's post on page 47 of this thread for details. Also, note that this HSF is the same overall size as the regular Ultra 120 and uses the same backplate mounting mechanism as several other later model Thermalright heatsinks]"

Really sorry, I only see ther first post, how it dont talk about HSF, i make the question, i don't continue reading, :eek: Thanks :D :D :D

No problem... I went ahead and made my note at the end of the first post very large so other's won't miss it too :)...

NOTE: Continued in next post, below...

Bios Version: v02.61

Rated FSB: 1333 Mhz
Bus Speed: 333 Mhz
CPU Ratio (multiplier): 8
Core Speed: 2666.7 Mhz

Temps are good.

But why is it that I cant put 9 in the multiplier? It wont accept it.

Yes I enabled and diabled all necessary options as detailed in 1 st post.

TIA

Bios Version: v02.61

Rated FSB: 1333 Mhz
Bus Speed: 333 Mhz
CPU Ratio (multiplier): 8
Core Speed: 2666.7 Mhz

Temps are good.

But why is it that I cant put 9 in the multiplier? It wont accept it.

Yes I enabled and diabled all necessary options as detailed in 1 st post.

TIA

The E6400 only goes up to 8 (it's a function of the processor.. you can use 6, 7 or 8, but nothing higher).

I've got my E6600 w/ an Arctic Freezer Pro 7 at 3.2ghz (9x355) and 1.320v. Temps at load after 10 minutes of TAT are 55 on the hottest core. Should I try for higher? I'd love to go 9x400 but I'm not sure a newer E6600 and an AC7 could do that stable.

Also is it a good idea to flash the BIOS? I'm not really having any problems, but I don't have a floppy drive so I would have to do it through less ideal means. My board came with v1.1

I'm about to spring for one of these motherboards - should I go for Corsair Dominator or Crucial Ballistix and what speed should I get?

Hi all. Excellent thread you have going here. Just finished reading all ~1500 posts.
I am about to build a new computer and the P6N-FI is my top mobo choice so far.
I don't need any extras offered by the Platinum so it would be a waste of ~$35 for me.
I would actually prefer the P6N-SLI V2 just for the red PCB, but it doesn't seem to be available.

I have a few questions before i finish ordering parts tho.

#1 For CPU, i want to OC somewhere in 3.0GHz area (hopefully with stock fan for now)
Im looking at the E4300 CPU. Would i be better to spend extra $15 for the E4400 for easier 3.0 and higher OCs at a later date?

#2 I just purchased Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB Kit BL2KIT12864AA804
Anyone using this? I didn't see it in #1 post.

#3 Also looking for a new case & PSU. Only problem I have is my desk isn't very deep. I need a case with no more than a 17" depth to fit properly.
I have Antec NSK4400 now, but am looking for something a bit taller. Also, I prefer the power button to be near the middle/top of the case.
I prefer fairly plain cases. Dont care for doors or flashy lights. Wouldn't mind a window but I can do that myself.
On a pretty tight budget (~$100) for case & psu so i need the best bang for the buck i can find here. Any recommendations on this?

Im using 2x WD 80gb SATA HDDs in Raid-0
Video is XFX 7950GT
1 DVD-RW & 1 FDD drives

Also, has anyone seen this water/air cooler yet? Evercool Silver Knight
It's a typical heatpipe design but it flows coolant thru them.
Looks interesting. A review can be found at www.thinkcomputers.org (cant sem to link direct to it?)

It looks like you are using a gaming system. Best advice: don't skimp on the PSU. Get a Corsair/Seasonic for about $100.

Just an update for this: I installed the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme CPU cooler (with added NB fan, replaced original with scythe 40mm) with no issues or bending of fan mounts. I mounted a 120mm scythe fan with no connection between the mounts and the NB fan.

Only thing I can think of is that i used different holes for the fan mounts to D_N_G... either way, just a second opinion ^_^

The E6400 only goes up to 8 (it's a function of the processor.. you can use 6, 7 or 8, but nothing higher).

Well I see you have the same processor as me. So how far have you pushed this sucker? Please give any and all details! :)

Has anyone used MSI or Cooler Master power supplies? They seem to cost less than many others with comparable specs.

Newegg has the Praetorian ( a bit deeper than what i wanted, but is a very nice case) for $125 shipped free and you get a 500w Cooler Master PSU for free to (PSU also has $20 MIR).
$105 for that case and 500w PSU seems like a very good deal.

edit: Cooler Master Praetorian Combo Deals

Like the poster before me, and like others in this thread, I replaced the noisy stock NB fan with a scythe mini kaze. It was a simple replacement, 4 simple screws. Makes a huge improvement - no noise. I turned all my P180 fans to "low", just to see if the 40mm stuck out - but no, it was silent. If I didn't mind those slightly higher temps I'd keep all those fans on low 24/7. But I mind 'em so they're back to medium setting.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185039

Mobo says Platinum (see by RAM slots) but looks like a SLI-FI. Did they remove the heatpipe from production?

They must have gotten the pics mixed up or something........:eek:

Hi Spanki, I see that my memories don't appear on the list, of the first post, here they're:

OCZ Value Pro Series (2x512MB) DDR2 667 5-5-5-15 @1.8v OCZ2667512VP Also runs fine at DDR2 750Mhz 3-4-3-6-10-1T @ 2.25v
And also fine at DDR2 830Mhz 4-5-4-6-3-1T @ 2.1v

Here some pictures with SuperPi 1Mb and Memset 3.2:

For 24/7 I used DDR2 830Mhz 4-5-4-6-3-1T @ 2.1v.
But in 1T, from DDR2 800 to 850, I can't use 4-4-4 or less even with 2.40v, I only can use 4-5-4 or 4-5-3. If I was at less than DDR2 800 I can used 4-4-4 or 3-4-3 like I posted up

And one more thing, I also used this same memories on my old 3800x2, but the memories do DDR2 900 cl 4 with only 2.1v
But now with my actual MSI P6N SLI-FI, IF I put on bios more than DDR2 850, I have to do a CMOS CLEAR, and this memories do ddr2 900 in my old rig, even if I put 2.4v or 2.3 or 2.35v, If was at ddr2 851 or more, I have to do CMOS CLEAR. So I never put the memories more than DDR2 850

DID someone have the same problem?

I'm using the BIOS v2.12 :D :D

Thanks to all, and add my memories to the list :D :D

Hi Spanki, I see that my memories don't appear on the list, of the first post, here they're:

OCZ Value Pro Series (2x512MB) DDR2 667 5-5-5-15 @1.8v OCZ2667512VP Also runs fine at DDR2 750Mhz 3-4-3-6-10-1T @ 2.25v
And also fine at DDR2 830Mhz 4-5-4-6-3-1T @ 2.1v

Thanks to all, and add my memories to the list :D :D

Sounds like good memory - added. Thanks.

Has anyone used MSI or Cooler Master power supplies? They seem to cost less than many others with comparable specs.

Newegg has the Praetorian ( a bit deeper than what i wanted, but is a very nice case) for $125 shipped free and you get a 500w Cooler Master PSU for free to (PSU also has $20 MIR).
$105 for that case and 500w PSU seems like a very good deal.

edit: Cooler Master Praetorian Combo Deals

I'd say that if that's the case you're interested in, then you get the psu for free - it's worth a shot. Worse case scenerio is you end up having to buy another psu down the line, but that one may work fine for you (though it's probably not going to power a pair of 8800s in SLI, etc).

Well I see you have the same processor as me. So how far have you pushed this sucker? Please give any and all details! :)

So far, I haven't really pushed it. I've had it running at 3GHz (375/1500 FSB), but not above there yet. I just haven't had the spare time to mess with it. I run it at 2.66GHz (333/1333 FSB) for day-to-day operation, at stock voltage.

I have more noobie questions:

CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145043

A newegg.com Customer review (actually several) claim:

Pros: Have it up to 1200MHz! That's a 12.5% OC.

Cons: None

Other Thoughts: Timings have to be set to 5-5-5-15 2T & 2.2v or you won't get a hair above 800MHz.

How do I get this?
I see the option in there, but are many more options in BIOS then just 5-5-5-15 2T...

And is this recommended?

Currently CPU-Z says:
Frequency: 398.9 Mhz
FSB : DRAM: 11:13
CAS# Latency: 5.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5 clocks
RAS# Precharge: 5 clocks
Cycle Time (Tras): 18 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (Trc): 22 clocks
Command Rate: 2T

How do I get 1:1?

TIA and most awesome thread ever!

Sounds like good memory - added. Thanks.

Thanks to you for add the memories. Soon I will bought more memories, probably 2gb Super Talent 667 :D On am2 it's make ddr2 1020 :eek: at 2.35v, I will see, but probably go for they.

First I have to sell my old 3800x2 + biostar tforce 550 :p

ONE MORE IMPORTANT THING, I have more reviews from the motherboards:
MSI P6N SLI-FI
MSI P6N SLI Platinum
MSI P6N SLI Platinum

The 3 reviews was writed on Spanish, so If you like pass to english via Google Spanki :)

Bye

Thanks to this thread, I'm waiting for this mobo to arrive. Should be show up at work tomorrow. At any rate, I have a few questions, and hope this thread is as good as any to ask.

I am going to run a dual boot system, XP would be installed first, then Vista 64 on the second partition. I have four 1 gig memory modules, but seem to have read to fully install Vista and run Win Update before going from 2 gigs of memory to 4 gig. Would everyone here concur?

I have two identical drives, and want to run a RAID 1 mirrored setup for safety and a full backup. Should I setup RAID right from the start, and add it later after getting the system up and running? Thanks for any assistance :)

I've got my E6600 w/ an Arctic Freezer Pro 7 at 3.2ghz (9x355) and 1.320v. Temps at load after 10 minutes of TAT are 55 on the hottest core. Should I try for higher? I'd love to go 9x400 but I'm not sure a newer E6600 and an AC7 could do that stable.

Also is it a good idea to flash the BIOS? I'm not really having any problems, but I don't have a floppy drive so I would have to do it through less ideal means. My board came with v1.1
:cool: In one of the earlier postings, someone posted the following with the E6600.
3.4 Ghz
FSB 1700
8 X 425 (+0.1V)
NB 1.4 V
There are several others that have posting on the E6600. You might want to look at the first few pages because I think there are some posting about this processor.
Good Luck!:D

Anyone else have issues with the sound popping?
I'm noticing it a lot while playing music and some games.
Its not really bad but noticeable to me.

I downloaded the latest Realtek HD audio codec and still have the problem.
What can I try to fix this?

Got a new BIOS version 1.34 for the Platinum this morning, flashed it with no issue and am running it now on my personal rig. No apparent changes and no changelog included so who knows what the difference is between this version and 1.32/1.31.

You still need to press F4 to unhide C1ST in the advanced chipset CPU features menu.

MSI P6N SLI Platinum beta BIOS v.1.34 - Click to download

Bandwidth provided for the [H]ardForum only so please get permission before you repost this link.

I've always used a added sound card, less load on the CPU for better frame rates......:D

I was thinking that my speakers were going out or something, but now that I think about it, it does seem to be coming from the motherboard.

I have more noobie questions:

CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145043

A newegg.com Customer review (actually several) claim:

Pros: Have it up to 1200MHz! That's a 12.5% OC.

Cons: None

Other Thoughts: Timings have to be set to 5-5-5-15 2T & 2.2v or you won't get a hair above 800MHz.

How do I get this?
I see the option in there, but are many more options in BIOS then just 5-5-5-15 2T...

And is this recommended?

Currently CPU-Z says:
Frequency: 398.9 Mhz
FSB : DRAM: 11:13
CAS# Latency: 5.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5 clocks
RAS# Precharge: 5 clocks
Cycle Time (Tras): 18 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (Trc): 22 clocks
Command Rate: 2T

How do I get 1:1?

TIA and most awesome thread ever!

So In the bios (do I make these changes):

Memory Clock (Mhz): 1200

Memory Timing: Manual
tCL: 5
tRP: 5
tRAS: 5
tRRD: 15
tRC: Auto
tWR: Auto
tWTR: Auto
tREF: Auto
Comand Per Clock (CMD): 2T

Memory Voltage: 2.2V

Any help appreciated. Thank you again...

I have the P6N SLI-FI, and I'm new to overclocking. I have an E6420 (stock 2.13) and I currently have it at 2.96GHz (1480mhz system bus). It's running stock voltage and never goes over 45* C when running Prime 95 on both cores. I'm not worried about the proc temperature as much as the north bridge, but I don't know if this should be a concern. Can the northbridge burn out when overclocking? I haven't increased any system voltage and don't plan to, but I also don't want my northbridge to burn out. What are the risks of north-bridge heat building up with overclocking? Also, how do I check the north-bridge temperature while in windows? Is that the 'system' temperature in the MSI Utility? because it never goes over 40*C which seems extremely low for the north-bridge from what I've read. There is an "N.B." section just below that that is greyed out.

My sig has the system I just set up. Its my first build--and considering the only hurdles involved my own stupidity and didn't leave any lasting scars or RMA's--I'd say it was successful. The P6N's documentation was pretty decent and I got XP Pro installed no problem. (Antec on the other hand decided to save money on technical writers in lieu of perhaps more shiney stuff on the outside of the shipping box).

On that vein, I've noticed several people have a P180 or P182, are you using any form of additional standoffs above what is already attached in the motherboard tray for your P6N? Yesterday I tried to fire it up and got nothing, dead in the water. Had a yellow LED on the board and the Network Cable LED but no fans no nothing. I pulled every plug sans the Vid card and reattached them and it works fine.....

By the way, thanks to all who brought their knowledge or lack there of to this thread, it has created a great resource for those of us who were pretty wary about building their own rig.

I have the P6N SLI-FI, and I'm new to overclocking. I have an E6420 (stock 2.13) and I currently have it at 2.96GHz (1480mhz system bus). It's running stock voltage and never goes over 45* C when running Prime 95 on both cores. I'm not worried about the proc temperature as much as the north bridge, but I don't know if this should be a concern. Can the northbridge burn out when overclocking? I haven't increased any system voltage and don't plan to, but I also don't want my northbridge to burn out. What are the risks of north-bridge heat building up with overclocking? Also, how do I check the north-bridge temperature while in windows? Is that the 'system' temperature in the MSI Utility? because it never goes over 40*C which seems extremely low for the north-bridge from what I've read. There is an "N.B." section just below that that is greyed out.

If you have the fan on the NB it should be fine. I ran mine for two weeks at 1500fsb without a hiccup. It 's all good. Don't know wtf the nb temp is either though lol. Don't care when my temps are in the high 20s under load on air.

On that vein, I've noticed several people have a P180 or P182, are you using any form of additional standoffs above what is already attached in the motherboard tray for your P6N?

P180B here. Nope, just used the 9 standoffs that were in there already - all correctly lined up with the mobo. You don't want any "extras" that will end up shorting out your mobo if they're not lined up with the holes.

Great job with the build:cool: . Feel free to take that plastic off now ;)

intothevoid

I show the same?. It's normal to me, but I'll go back through past screen shots to compare current readings with my last two systems (C2D + 2GB PC-3200 on a P5PE-VM [i865G] and a P4 2.53GHz/533MHz FSB + 2GB PC-3200/P4B533E [i865g] combo). It follows BIOS settings well on my board. I generally run my memory at DDR800 (400MHz) now, but was keeping it 1:1 with the FSB and the last 3 versions of CPU-Z reflected straight MHz, not DDR.

Off to check; if I'm wrong, have I actually been running 1:2 :(
:confused: I see by your posting that you are using the Patriot 2.2V 6400LLK memory. I have found them at buy.com at a very good price and was wondering if you could tell me what you think of there performance and quality. I plan to purchase 2 sets but must do so before the 15 of June 2007. Any assistance or information is appreciated. Thanks! :D

If you have the fan on the NB it should be fine. I ran mine for two weeks at 1500fsb without a hiccup. It 's all good. Don't know wtf the nb temp is either though lol. Don't care when my temps are in the high 20s under load on air.

He has the FI it doesn't come with a fan and theres no good way to attach one to the crappy NB block.
Personally I put a Cooler Master Blue Ice pro on the northbridge just to be sure it was cool enough.
It is still hot to touch but I'm not very worried about it, more worried about the RAM that is equally as hot (running at 1T).

There is no temp monitor for the northbridge the only way is to put a temp reader on it.
You should be fine upping the voltage a very small amount on the NB and maybe hitting 3Ghz with the CPU, but I wouldn't go very high until you get some better cooling for it.

Back