Multiple Xeon Stuff

elguapo

Limp Gawd
Alright, I have an HP Netserver LH4 which supports up to 4 PIII Xeons at up to 1ghz and 2mb cache. Ideally, thats what I would like to put into the computer. Quad xeons at 1ghz. Right now it has only one xeon at 550mhz. Theres several problems/questions that I have about doing the upgrade.

Can I install 3 processors at once, or is it only 1-2-4? My assumtption is that no, I can't.
Second thing: is there any good place to buy PIII Xeons? Other than ebay, I really havent found any. This includes any members who might have a few layin around. 1Ghz would be nice, but if you have a set of 4, please let me know.

Thanks for the help!

Your best bet is to try and find some PIII Xeon 700s, with the 1mb cache. The 2mb cache parts are out there still, but can be VERY expensive, even now.

The 1ghz parts are all 256k cache, and are really no better than a PIII coppermine.

elguapo said:
Can I install 3 processors at once, or is it only 1-2-4?

That depends on the platform, actually.

I recently worked with some Compaq Proliant 6000Rs that had triple Xeon 500s, with 1mb cache. Strange systems..

tom61 said:
Take pics!

first of all thanks for the link, i hadnt thought to use froogle for something like this, so thanks. secondly, pics of what? the netserver?

If You know where to look you can get the 700mhz 2mb cache processors cheap. Got my first one off of ebay for $50.00 new in box with three year warranty. Theses 700mhz 2mb xeons run retail about $170.00, so subtract $50.00= $120.00 I saved. Hey I got my first one and was able to find a site that offered them at least $107.00, the cheapest I can find, other than ebay.

I have a quad also, I am working on, and it takes a heaping of up to 12gb of pc100 ecc memory.

I was sent to this site via a friend: isellsurplus.com
They sell P2 and P3 Xeon processors.

The 1Ghz Xeon's with 256k L2 cache will not work in anything above 2-way.
You'll want 700's or 900's if you have lots of $$ to put into this.

elguapo said:
first of all thanks for the link, i hadnt thought to use froogle for something like this, so thanks. secondly, pics of what? the netserver?

Froogle is fairly good at finding odd-ball stuff like this, not so good in the normal stuff though. Yes, pics of the server. How it is now. Then after adding the processors. Then after modding. :D

Here's the data sheet on that processor (pdf)
Fifth bullet point down the left column of the first page and again in the first paragraph it is stated. You can find technical reasons why if you look through the file

thank you very much for that pdf link. i ran through a good portion of the intel site before giving up. you saved me some time. after looking through the document, there is no *easy* way to do what i want to do (get 4 1ghz 256k xeons dancing together). Does anyone know anything about the "signal strength" on these xeons? they are apparently the reason for only supproting 2 way configurations. also, does anyone know if this is really an issue in 4 processor servers, by which i mean, are there any that work around this?

IIRC.. and it's been awhile..
Most dual processor enabled chips have one 'CPU_ID' pin (or something smimilar to that).
The processor in cpu slot0 gets ID 0, and the next processor gets 1.

Quad capable chips have two 'CPI_ID' pins. So the first chip gets 00, next one is 01, next 10, forth 11.
I don't think the 133FSB Xeon's have that second pin for setting the processor ID.

I could be way the hell off here because it's been a long while. But it sounds good :)

[edit]
Getting around this limitation: IBM's x440's and x445 (big server based off the new Xeon core) can make Xeon DP's (dual processor only chips) work in quad configurations by a special chipset they use. I don't think anyone ever did that for the old xeons though.

ambit said:
Exactly. After dropping $600 on quad 700's, you could have put together most of much faster system. 550's would probably be much more cost effective.

Heh.. I just picked up 2 Dell Poweredge servers with Quad Xeon 500's, 2GB RAM and 5 18GB SCSI HDDs for $450 each off of EBay.

Keep looking, the deals are out there, just have to find them.

Back