MX518 Listed on Newegg, unavailible though

not much. Its just a scam by logitech to make more money. I bet you that nobody in the world can tell the difference between a MX 500, 510 and 518. You're just paying for some fancy colored mouse.

I've been wondering the same thing, I know it has 1600dpi but they never tell you how many dpi the 510, MX700 and MX1000 have. . . . . I wonder if they all have 1600 or are close to it? Any info?

I think its primary upgrades was the on the fly sensitivity adjustment and 1600dpi up from 800

the mx518 is essentially a wired version of the mx1000 but it still utilizes LED optics.

Jrmicon said:
I've been wondering the same thing, I know it has 1600dpi but they never tell you how many dpi the 510, MX700 and MX1000 have. . . . . I wonder if they all have 1600 or are close to it? Any info?
The MX510 is 800dpi.

MX518 has on the fly DPI adjustment, so you can change the sensitivity of your mouse any time you want.

It isn't like you would need on the fly DPI adjustment, unless you were extremely good, and your mouse would make a lot of difference in how well you played. A good LED mouse like the MX700 or MX500/510 is good enough. The mouse wouldn't have a large effect on your score, your kills depend on your skill, not your hardware and accessories.

Bugalaman said:
not much. Its just a scam by logitech to make more money. I bet you that nobody in the world can tell the difference between a MX 500, 510 and 518. You're just paying for some fancy colored mouse.

Um no. The MX518 has on-the-fly dpi adjustment and while the MX510 is only 800 dpi the MX518 will do 1600 dpi and you can definitely tell the difference between the two speeds. 1600 dpi is much more sensitive.

if I want more sensitive, I'll turn it up in the game or control panel settings. That just seems like marketing bullshit to me

another new feature is that the LED NEVER turns off or go into standby mode

If you have the MX500 or MX510, I don't see why to upgrade to this mouse since you can't tell the differences among them. If you can that's bs. :)

the on the fly dpi sensitivity adjustment seems like something that's just in the drivers.

adjusting sensitivity in a game isn't the same as the sensitivity in the mouse.
when you adjust the sensitivity in a game or in windows it causes the mouse cursor (or character in a game) to move an X amount of pixels for each movement of the mouse.
a more sensitive optical engine is able to detect smaller and more precise movements of the mouse.

anyway, an 1600 dpi mouse might be noticeable and feel smoother but we all know it's not going to significantly improve your game. i've seen a good player frag the crap out of other players with a cheap ball mouse. if you're good, you're good.

a diamond back is a differnce between a 2:1kd ratio with the razer vs 1:10kd ratio with a cheap logitech optical

yeah, the mx510 is definatly the most comfortable mouse i have ever used, although i do not own one, i always steal it from my friend when we lan, i'll be picking up a 518 for sure.

B18_Cya said:
So which one is better? the mx518 or the Razer Diamondback :p
logitech is getting known for hoaxing there mice lately i still think the razer will be better even though this is gonna use a laser at the same dpi

What exactly are you guys basing the idea that the MX518 isn't any better then the MX500 off of considering none of you have one or have used one?

chizu said:
If you have the MX500 or MX510, I don't see why to upgrade to this mouse since you can't tell the differences among them. If you can that's bs. :)

I think all the reviews for the MX518 would beg to differ.

Throughout each game played no deaths could be attributed to lag, the MX518 keeping up to every twitch and click thanks to the corded design and powerful 5.8 megapixel/second image processing with a 16-bit data format that reports 125 times per second. And no, this isn't our minds playing tricks on us as the MX518 was more responsive than the Logitech MX510 while set at 800 dpi. Finally, we didn't have to worry about not moving the mouse when sniping from a nest, as there's no sleep mode to wake from that could take crucial milliseconds away in the event of an ambush.

Adjusting the speed of the mouse pointer in windows and games is NOT the same thing as having a 1600 dpi resolution lol. Just because the pointer moves faster on the screen doesn't mean it has a more sensitive optical sensor.

The MX518 has other nice features as well.

Upon launching the SetPoint Driver configuration pane (read: no more buggy MouseWare drivers), we were faced with the button configuration tab. Unlike previous mice, the thumb buttons and middle click were assigned to "generic" by default, thus able to be used for things like Button 4 in Quake while reverting to the forward/back/scroll within the Windows environment. On another tab are the movement options such as pointer speed, acceleration, scrolling speed, pointer trails, and "smart move" to automatically move your pointer to the OK button in dialog boxes.

The third tab in SetPoint is exclusive to the Logitech MX518, and that would be the game settings. In here you can select what games the drivers will recognize such as those that render with OpenGL and Direct3D, as well as add your own games to the list, including non-rendered 2D games like Tetris. Once a recognized game is started, the mouse can behave differently with options for keeping advanced button assignments such as double-click and keystrokes, as well as whether the mouse should use the Windows' or SetPoint's speed and acceleration settings. One thing that we would have liked to see (and have liked to see since the MX series first came out at that) is the ability to change button assignments completely for certain applications. Some games such as Call of Duty don't recognize more than three mouse buttons, thus requiring mapping of the extra buttons to keys such as delete, which then has to be changed back manually after exiting the game. Quite inconvenient.

Back