My auxiliary system freezes during POST!

E4g1e

Supreme [H]ardness
The problem started this evening when I reset the CMOS to defaults. Afterwards, the computer fails to get past the BIOS splash screen, and none of the keys on the keyboard would even work except for the Caps Lock. I heard the POST beep, but the screen remained frozen at the BIOS splash screen. I was completely unable to even enter the BIOS no matter what.

After letting the system run in this condition for a while, I noticed that the CPU HSF remained ice cold.

Here are the components in that system:

Intel i5-2400
Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 v1.3 (U1b UEFI BIOS)
16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 RAM @ 1.5V
GeForce GTX 560
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB WD5000AAKS
2 x 1TB Seagate 7200.12
1TB Samsung F3 HD103SJ
Lite-On DVD burner
Antec High Current Gamer 520W

I tried resetting the CMOS, removing the CMOS battery for an hour, disconnecting all USB devices except for the keyboard, even using the i5-2400's onboard video without the discrete GPU installed. I also tried running the system with only a single stick of RAM. All to no avail. I even tried to run the system without any RAM installed, but got error beeps. I even swapped in a different set of RAM, and a single stick from another kit, but the problem persisted.

At this point I suspect that either the motherboard or the CPU died out.

What shall I do? Please feel free to suggest something. I need this system to run tomorrow.

Last edited:
Remove the battery for a longer period of time (24+ hours) and make sure the system is unplugged. Hit the power button once it's unplugged to make sure the system is completely drained.

I had a HP that was freezing at the BIOS splash screen and I tried everything you have. I did what I suggested above and it fired right up the next day.

The processor is cold because it's not in use yet.

Thanks. I am trying this now. However, I am going to run out and get a new mobo in case the current mobo is dead.

Remove the battery for a longer period of time (24+ hours) and make sure the system is unplugged. Hit the power button once it's unplugged to make sure the system is completely drained.

I had a HP that was freezing at the BIOS splash screen and I tried everything you have. I did what I suggested above and it fired right up the next day.

The processor is cold because it's not in use yet.

I tried five hours, and it still didn't work. Knowing Gigabyte motherboards, if it doesn't work after the battery is removed for five minutes, it will never work again even with the battery removed for days to years.

Guess what? I solved the problem. It turned out that my disk configuration did not match what the BIOS defaulted to. So, I had to disconnect the data cables to all of the disks in my system, then manually reset the BIOS and reset the custom settings (in this case, RAID instead of the default IDE). Now my system is working again.

And all that cost me a few hours of diagnosing and $2 worth of a replacement battery.

Back