My experience with HD2900XT @ 1680 x 1050 w/ 4xaa

Umm...drivers have never upgraded performance? Yes they have, and do.

What they don't do is turn an 8800 gts into a gtx, and they sure won't turn the 2900 into a good card.

to say drivers do nothing is foolishness however.

I'm going to hold onto the card for a little while longer to see if there is an official driver release. If there is I'll see if there is any change.

Can you also check some other games out. Not that it will redeem itself. :(

Nice mini review btw.

I don't think that anyone in the history of computing has produced a benchmark showing a real world performance gain from a driver update. I've certainly never seen one, despite upgrading hundreds if not thousands of times. The day that a driver update transforms a GeForce 2 into a GeForce 4, performance-wise, is the day that I'll pay attention. That day might occur after the next ice age.

It's a written law of tech that "upgrades" shall either do nothing or make something worse. I have yet to find an exception.

When did I say a driver update would transform a GF2 into a GF4? I said they would help with a few FPS to help bring the avg from mid 40s to 50. If a GF2 and GF4 were only 3-4 FPS apart in video games, I'd have to say we got screwed for a very long time...:rolleyes:

I'd like to post some Battlefield screens but I can't find an image host that will host the PNG files--they are a drop over 5 megs a piece.

Can the 8800 series do all this programmable shader stuff as well?

NO!!

upposedly it will be available if the game has the option for it, and also offer it as a forced feature for some titles (similar to how the chuck patch was implemented) but it's still early on to tell. Really it's shouldn't be difficult for the devs to implement since it doesn't require much work on their part since the R600 should handle the work, it just needs the queue to know it can do it.

t seems inefficient now, but it is obviously the way to go in the future, but it's still not practical yet, which sucks especially if we think it will be useful in the near future. D3D10.1 requires this shader based AA option, but I still think ATi shoud;ve designed for both for now, then drop hardware resolve later. They may have and it's borked, but it just sounds like they took another leap of faith like they did with the X1900 shader imbalance, and this time they missed for that aspect.

great post , yeh they are right , next gen games we may have surprises with HD2900 performence .

and even for now ( actual DX9 games) the card its not so bad , better than 8800GTS 640mb for same price .

regards

what are you talking about, the HD2900 is not the same price as a 8800GTS 640. Go check out NCIX they have had the 8800GTS on sale for $400 ($365 with a mail in rebate but I dont count those) for a long time now. Even when the 8800 came out I only paid $450 for my 8800GTS and thats cheaper than what a 2900 goes for.

Personally I think a person is better off just grabbing an 8800GTS 320MB card and playing on that and waiting till DX10 cames come out in full force then Buying the best dx10 cards.

NO!!

great post , yeh they are right , next gen games we may have surprises with HD2900 performence .

and even for now ( actual DX9 games) the card its not so bad , better than 8800GTS 640mb for same price .

regards

The 2900 is not better than the 8800 GTS. It wins some and loses some depending on the game and the settings used. As for the same price, nope. I saw a sale last week where a GTS 640 has actually broken under the $300 mark. There are several threads in the [Hot]Deals forum right now with the GTS 640 being under $325 (with rebates).

As for any next generation game MAYBE having performance gains on the 2900, who cares? I don't buy cards on MAYBE. By then there will be new hardware out that runs those next-gen games faster anyway... maybe much faster.

By Christmas I'll have had my GTS for more than a full year and I won't feel bad for uprading.

Edit to add - I paid $381 (from Dell) in early December last year.

Well Newegg won't take it back and I can't sell it so my options are either crossfire it when crysis comes out if I need to or replace it with the next big Nvidia card.

I will do another suite of tests after the next official driver release.

Well Newegg won't take it back and I can't sell it so my options are either crossfire it when crysis comes out if I need to or replace it with the next big Nvidia card.

I will do another suite of tests after the next official driver release.

You may have another angle to get them to take the card back.
The 2900XT is supposed to have hardware UVD acceleration but the hardware is missing!
If yours says it accelerates UVD on the box, that could be reason enough to return it.

This is one site demonstrating there is no acceleration
http://www.hardspell.com/english/doc/showcont.asp?news_id=622&pageid=655
Sorry I havent found a better link, I did read it elsewhere first.

You may have another angle to get them to take the card back.
The 2900XT is supposed to have hardware UVD acceleration but the hardware is missing!
If yours says it accelerates UVD on the box, that could be reason enough to return it.

This is one site demonstrating there is no acceleration
http://www.hardspell.com/english/doc/showcont.asp?news_id=622&pageid=655
Sorry I havent found a better link, I did read it elsewhere first.

Hmmm, that is an idea. The thing is, it has a 30 day "no refund" return policy. Which means you can't get a refund, which is very unusual for hardware. I won't be buying from Newegg anymore.

I'll run it with and without adaptive when the new drivers come out. The problem with that is that the 8800 series can run no problem with its equivalent "transparency aa" no problem, so I don't see why I should disable adaptive. It makes a difference in image quality too, especially with things like fences.

Update: If I play battlefield tonight I'll try and run it with adaptive off.

When did I say a driver update would transform a GF2 into a GF4? I said they would help with a few FPS to help bring the avg from mid 40s to 50. If a GF2 and GF4 were only 3-4 FPS apart in video games, I'd have to say we got screwed for a very long time...:rolleyes:

In newer games the GF2 probably gets like 5-8 FPS and the GF4 probably gets like 10-15... that's being generous ;)

Who wants to buy a card and have it suck at games they're playing right now in hopes of having a nice video card later? There are going to be better video cards out by that time, that's some of the worst logic I've ever heard in regards to computer hardware.

And when you say even now it's better than the 8800GTS for the same price, obviously you are not talking american/canadian prices like most of us here, since this is an american website, because there is at least a $50 difference, all the way to possibly $100 difference, the GTS being cheaper.

And it's only better when you don't have any AA and in select few games? Great....

Hmmm, that is an idea. The thing is, it has a 30 day "no refund" return policy. Which means you can't get a refund, which is very unusual for hardware. I won't be buying from Newegg anymore.

I'll run it with and without adaptive when the new drivers come out. The problem with that is that the 8800 series can run no problem with its equivalent "transparency aa" no problem, so I don't see why I should disable adaptive. It makes a difference in image quality too, especially with things like fences.

Update: If I play battlefield tonight I'll try and run it with adaptive off.

If I were you I might try that UVD video thing, see if they'll take it back. Newegg can usually be reasonable that type of way, right? Just say it's one of the main reasons you bought the card ;)

BTW very nice post, very informative

Errr.. You were using 8.38 to run these tests? AFAIK those don't even work with the 2900...

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33891184&page=2

The 838 are not compatible with the 2900 , just tried em

From checking out the driver package it looks like these are for the 2300-2600 series and a few other unknown cards

[ATI.Mfg.NTx86]
"ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2300" = ati2mtag_M71, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_7210&SUBSYS_15731043
"ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2300 " = ati2mtag_M71, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_7210&SUBSYS_02121043
"ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400" = ati2mtag_M72, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_94C9&SUBSYS_15B21043
"ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 XT" = ati2mtag_M72, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_94C8&SUBSYS_15721043
"ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 XT " = ati2mtag_M72, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_94C8&SUBSYS_021A1043
"ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 XT " = ati2mtag_M72, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_94C8&SUBSYS_02181043
"ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600" = ati2mtag_M76, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9581&SUBSYS_15621043
"ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 " = ati2mtag_M76, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9581&SUBSYS_02141043
"ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 " = ati2mtag_M76, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9581&SUBSYS_02161043
"ATI Mobility Radeon X1700" = ati2mtag_M56, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_71D5&SUBSYS_12421043
"ATI Mobility Radeon X2500" = ati2mtag_M56, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_71DE&SUBSYS_14E31043
"ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 " = ati2mtag_M72, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_94C9&SUBSYS_C1091631

You didn't say it would transform a GF2 into a G4. I said that. And I said it for a reason.

No driver update is going to give you 10 fps on a modern engine. Absolutely none. 10 fps is a major increase, it IS the equivalent of going from a GTS to a GTX. The only time a driver update could possibly give you 10 fps is if your average fps is already 250.

Why can't you sell it? Ebay shut down all of a sudden?

Umm...drivers have never upgraded performance? Yes they have, and do.

Yeah, right. Give me an example, then. I'll wait.

You didn't say it would transform a GF2 into a G4. I said that. And I said it for a reason.

No driver update is going to give you 10 fps on a modern engine. Absolutely none. 10 fps is a major increase, it IS the equivalent of going from a GTS to a GTX. The only time a driver update could possibly give you 10 fps is if your average fps is already 250.

Why can't you sell it? Ebay shut down all of a sudden?

Yeah, right. Give me an example, then. I'll wait.

Well, I called newegg and complained and they are letting me RMA the card for a refund. I have a superclocked GTX on the way.

Well, I called newegg and complained and they are letting me RMA the card for a refund. I have a superclocked GTX on the way.

OWNED!! Another happy customer :p

Sorry, not being a fanbui, but I'm glad someone decided NOT to wait for drivers so that they can finally play their game with good FPS + AA :D

Glad to hear you got it all sorted out, thanks for your posts in the forums :). Let us know how your GTX works out :)

Back