My New NEC 20WMGX2

Suds

Limp Gawd
Well, it just got here. I hooked it up and set up a profile for a calibrated NEC. It looks damn good, but I noticed a few things:

1) If I leave it sit on, say, the desktop, and then browse the web, there is a noticeable picture thing. Like I can see the web browser, but part of the desktop is shown in a very faded fashion.

2) There seems to be a nice amount of Black light bleed.

3) A few stuck pixels that can't be fixed. I tried the few things I know.

Will 1 and 2 go away after a bit of use? I didn't pay $400 for a monitor with black light bleed and image wierd-ness. Besides that, it looks amazing when the picture is right. Can't wait to play Bioshock on it.

Well, it just got here. I hooked it up and set up a profile for a calibrated NEC. It looks damn good, but I noticed a few things:

1) If I leave it sit on, say, the desktop, and then browse the web, there is a noticeable picture thing. Like I can see the web browser, but part of the desktop is shown in a very faded fashion.

2) There seems to be a nice amount of Black light bleed.

3) A few stuck pixels that can't be fixed. I tried the few things I know.

Will 1 and 2 go away after a bit of use? I didn't pay $400 for a monitor with black light bleed and image wierd-ness. Besides that, it looks amazing when the picture is right. Can't wait to play Bioshock on it.

I have a 20WMGX2 as well..

1) This happens with all LCDs and even CRTs. It's just image persistance and it will go away in a few minutes of monitor activity with a LCD, but not with a CRT. It does happen a lot easier with LCDs though, especially when they're hot. This is a moot point with gaming though, it can't happen because of the constant activity.

2) The back light bleeding diminished a lot after the first month of use, but it's still there. You might want to turn your brightness down to 20-30% to help this and to keep your retinas from combusting when reading text.

I've never seen any image persistence, but I do have my power settings set to turn the monitor off after 20 minutes and a screen saver for 10 minutes. If you're having real problems with this I would call NEC and have them replace the monitor.

Try turning down the brightness and see if the backlight looks any better. The default brightness is way too bright, and you shouldn't be using anything other than the Standard DV mode on Native or sRGB color. Something like 40% for the brightness is more reasonable. Leave the contrast on 50%.

The Advanced DV mode will adjust the backlight depending on what is onscreen, so if you notice the backlight changing it is just lagging behind what the screen is displaying. I keep it off 99% of the time.

Take a picture in a dark room with a completely black screen (no flash) and see how uniform and how bright the screen is. Post it here if you could.

I had a 20wmgx2 and things started out ok for a while then after about 10 months it would have severe picture burn in only having an image up for a few minutes.

where are the stuck pixel located
if they are close to middle or in area very noticeable try call nec for replacement, they replace the 2nd one because theres a stuck pixel in the middle
the first had a dead 2 dead pixel

their customer support are pretty nice, great service so far

I never had image persistence the past year - but I don't leave it on idle. I have never had brightness set over 22.6% (I keep contrast over 80-90% though; Sharpness at the 16.6 default. I tweak the colors too but that's another dealio). My Dell 2007WFP I used to keep at 40%-50% but the NEC is brighter and more tweakable.

I've had my 20WMGX2 a couple weeks now and I no longer notice the image persistence...but then again I have mine hardware calibrated and the brightness/contrast reduced from default levels. The backlight on mine is pretty good...with just a slight bit at the top center. My Dell 2007WFP still has the most even backlighting of any lcd that I've seen...to this day I still can't find any bleed with a blank, black screen and a darkened room.

if you dont have the screen set to bright it wont get image burn but if your screen has bleeding and dead pixels i would send it back.

wow, i have never heard of image persistance on an LCD except in rare cases.

granted, i usually do use a screen saver, i would not feel unsafe about leaving a monitor idle all day, i find this very strange, is this a common issue with this NEC display?

wow, i have never heard of image persistance on an LCD except in rare cases.

granted, i usually do use a screen saver, i would not feel unsafe about leaving a monitor idle all day, i find this very strange, is this a common issue with this NEC display?
Image persistence isn't really rare on lcd's...permanent burn-in is however. I think it seems to be more common with the NEC because of the high default brightness. Not only is it set at 100% out of the box but it is also the brightest lcd I have ever used. Once I took the brightness down to 38% and contrast to 40% from the default 50% and then did a hardware calibration...I haven't noticed any further image persistence.

i havent often even adjusted my LCD monitors out of the box for the most part though, and i still havent even seen retention, i'd find that very odd, perhaps the NEC out of the box settings are very rare.

Its just very bright (the intended purpose of AS-IPS). My Dell brightness had to be set to 40 - 50% to be used without my eyes getting burned out . The NEC has to be even less. 40% on the NEC is a lot - too much imo. The NEC is 470 cd/m2 and the Dell 2007wfp is listed at 300 cd/m2 . Monitors should be optimised. Its not a "set it forget it" chicken roaster. The NEC is bright and if people dont use it right then what can you do? I never had image stick and I can have it on 10 hrs. When it has happened to some people it goes away.

My Nec 19" 1970GX 8ms has after a year image persistance in lower lefthand corner, all you have to do is unplug power cord for 1-2 nights and its gone. It burns in in less that 3 hours if the screen is still for that time. After two years now I have four dead pixel in center.:mad:

I have this same monitor, maybe i got a good one, but mine so far has 0 problems. Absolutely no backlight bleed. I am surprised however that alot of people use suck low brightness settings. I have mine set at 100%, to me it looks best this way.

I have this same monitor, maybe i got a good one, but mine so far has 0 problems. Absolutely no backlight bleed. I am surprised however that alot of people use suck low brightness settings. I have mine set at 100%, to me it looks best this way.

Try increasing your digital vibrance to 25% for even better color.

Back