My new table

Rofl-Mic-Lofl

For Whom The Bell Trolls
I was debating where to put this, but I've seen other desks posted here so.. I suck at taking pictures =\

OLD

The back broke off of it about a month ago, and I was like hell-no. I'm not having a brokeback chair so I went and came home with this....

NEW

Going to buy some cable management soon, tips on what always appreciated.

Random statue of a chinese karate-man kicking !

No questions!

Well, that's defintly a huge improvement. :p Looks nice, is that glass? I have to purchase new desk myself, not sure if I want to go with glass or wood. :confused:

UberGeek427 said:
Well, that's defintly a huge improvement. :p Looks nice, is that glass? I have to purchase new desk myself, not sure if I want to go with glass or wood. :confused:

Go wood. Or just keep a roll of paper towels and a a bottle of windex with you all the time, you'll end up using them more than your computer.

Yes, it's a frosted glass. I was wanting wood, but for the quality-price this thing couldn't be beat. Since it's a frosted glass, it doesn't look as dirty as regular either, the fingerprints don't show.

tim-bit said:
Go wood. Or just keep a roll of paper towels and a a bottle of windex with you all the time, you'll end up using them more than your computer.

That's what I was thinking. My parents are going to be re-doing my bedroom soon. ( I have a rather large bedroom) and they're putting wood flooring down. So I suppose a nice wooden desk will look nice. I have a wood desk right now, but it's way too small for dual CRT monitors, and it's very cramped.

I used to have a desk almost exactly like your old one. It broke in two right down the middle about six months after I got it.

get a longer coaxial cable running out of the wall, and put your router/modem on TOP of your desk. Try running cables up the legs of the table, and tape them to the underside of the desk. Remember to leave some slack though!

hmmm.. its interesting that a regular table can be used for a computer set up. I might try it for my room too. thanks for the ideas. for some reason, my thinking was always limited to computer desks. Of course, there is the problem of cable management which you are right.

ForBuilding said:
hmmm.. its interesting that a regular table can be used for a computer set up. I might try it for my room too. thanks for the ideas. for some reason, my thinking was always limited to computer desks. Of course, there is the problem of cable management which you are right.

I absolutely hate keyboard trays, so 90% of computer desks out there wouldn't work. Plus the fact this table only costed me $100, I'm not complaining at all.

Oh, I totally forgot about the keyboard tray. What is there to dislike? It keeps the dust off the keyboard when not in use? Well, I'm not sure if I should try this table I have for a computer desk. It might take a whole day to arrange everything JUST to see if it might work. Maybe..if I'm super bored.

The keyboard tray on my desk broke off last December... I really need to get that fixed...

Nice new table. Looks much more up-to-date than what you had before.

I like my keyboard tray. Of course, I custom built it recently specifically to my needs. If you also want to do this, go to Lee Valley Tools (if you have one nearby) and buy their 50 lb undermount slides. Super high quality and around 15 bucks a pair.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=1&p=48619&cat=3,40894

If anyone is interested in seeing pics of my totally custom built-in desk, I would gladly take some. I used laminate countertop material cemented to mdf with oak edging. VERY easy to keep clean and I think it looks great too.

Buy 1.5" diameter (or so) corrugated tubing at Home Depot. It's used for shop vacs or something. Split loom it with a pair of sissors. I have a Z-Line Legacy desk (The huge L-shaped one you always see at Staples) and I run about 10 feet of it on the floor, following the L contour of the desk. I then have another length of the tubing black zip-tied to a rear leg of the desk, running up to the desktop. I did this on 2 other legs as well. I have two computers, a entire stereo system, and a dual monitoe setup wired in the tubing, and it's by far the cleanest wiring job imaginable, there are absolutely no wires visible under my desk. It's fairly versatile too, you can easily pull wires out of the loom and add new ones.

The only problem is the floor-run of tubing has to run into two "junctions." One end goes into my wiring closet (Right next to my desk) that holds the switch and UPS/power strips. The other runs under my bed to another power strip and SOHO switch. Also you might run into crosstalk problems with running a lot of wires in a small tube, but I've yet to have problems.

...I'm a bad explainer.

you should buy another karate-kicking man facing in the opposite direction. i'd forget about the desk looking for the figure.

Xaeon said:
Nice new table. Looks much more up-to-date than what you had before.

I like my keyboard tray. Of course, I custom built it recently specifically to my needs. If you also want to do this, go to Lee Valley Tools (if you have one nearby) and buy their 50 lb undermount slides. Super high quality and around 15 bucks a pair.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=1&p=48619&cat=3,40894

If anyone is interested in seeing pics of my totally custom built-in desk, I would gladly take some. I used laminate countertop material cemented to mdf with oak edging. VERY easy to keep clean and I think it looks great too.

Please take some, I'm interested in seeing the desk.

Back