My Nightmare with 2x HD 2900 Radeon XT

SHREK

Weaksauce
The past few months game playing has been my nightmare.

Every time I enable Crossfire and start to play some games this is my problem. I get this type flickering and distortion in all my games.

2303085677_4033e69689_b.jpg

2303883216_8544eb620d_b.jpg

2303083519_3113688edf_b.jpg

Any help would be great.

You've done a complete removal and reinstall of the latest drivers I'm assuming?

What cards are you crossfiring?

I have 2x HD 2900 XT

And i have done complete uninstall with drivers and even used a driver cleaner in safe mode. Still getting the same problem the instant I start playing any game.

Just chekd cables and Xfire connections...everything in tha department seems to be A ok.

With out taking the whole system apart, is there a possible way to test the second card.

I just hooked up my second monitor to the second video card and enabled crossfire on that card and monitor this is what i get.

2303906159_c6915539e7_b.jpg

2304708176_6054d64787_b.jpg

2303906653_362845db48_b.jpg

When crossfire is not enabled for this video card, it works perfect.

So any game you run in crossfire, you get the lines? Or is it only certain games? It almost looks like the image is being put together correctly by the two cards.

Try using only one bridge connector, the front one.
I have tried one dongle for crossfire, and get no picture.

Latest bios and drivers for the motherboard?
I have the latest drivers for my motherboard and system.

So any game you run in crossfire, you get the lines? Or is it only certain games? It almost looks like the image is being put together correctly by the two cards.
The first set of pictures that I posted is the what I get with every game when I enable crossfire with my main monitor.

The Second set of pictures I posted is what i get when I use a second monitor on the second video card and enable crossfire.

Something definitely wrong, I have almost the exact same setup as you and don't have any issues. Do the two cards work fine if when gaming if you don't have crossfire enabled? What happens if you run them in crossfire without the connectors?

When i take off the crossfire dongles and turn on again, I don't have the option to enable crossfire.

When i take off the crossfire dongles and turn on again, I don't have the option to enable crossfire.

I'm wondering if maybe one of the dongles is hosed, know any shops or friends where you could borrow one?

I just changed them out with another set of dongles, and still get the same thing

Unfortunatly, I cannot swap locations that easily, liquid cooling is setup.

RMA might solve the issue

I got in on the 383 Microcenter deal for the 3870X2... I also encountered the same problem in some games...

I decided to switch to windowed mode and the lines on my screen went away.

Have you tried that yet? Just curious...

I believe windowed mode either turns crossfire off, or at least drops your clocks down to 2d desktop speeds, not sure if that is the best solution.

I believe windowed mode either turns crossfire off, or at least drops your clocks down to 2d desktop speeds, not sure if that is the best solution.

Definitely not what I was hoping to hear... Although, even with windowed mode the 3870X2 still performs much, much better than my old 2900xt...

What was the source of this information? Just wondering because if that's the case then I need to RMA mine ASAP...

Talk about losing faith in ATI.

Nvidia starting to seem look a lot better.

So, I RMA'd my 3870X2 last week and they notified me today that the card failed to pass any tests the first time around... Visiontek is sending me a replacement on Friday...

Too bad you put those aftermarket heat sinks on because my problems were identical to yours and it was a fault with the card itself.

Later folks!

Back