My Precious is running too hot!

a ronin

Gawd
It hasn't fried or suddenly stopped on me yet, but my MBP is hitting high 60's today. Highest "sustained" temperatures I've seen yet. It's not especially hot today, my ambient temp "feels" pretty normal.

I'm thinking of directing a portable fan on it to see if that will do any good. Any advice?

I'm using SMCfancontrol to cool it down every so often. Even at 3000RPM the temperature is sustained at low-mid 60s; still too high for comfort.

Anyone else finding they're battling the same demons as the weather outside gets warmer?

My MBP has always run pretty hot. I figure if anything bad happens because of it, it'll be covered under AppleCare.

I rather not let it come to that. I HATE SERVICE REPAIRS.

What are you temps usually? I'm running the C2D model as well. 65c for iTunes and Safari seems pretty drastic.

I never really pay attention to my temps. I've got iStat but after overclocking PCs for so long, I don't really trust those temp sensors. I think it's usually in the mid to high 50s.

I do know that if I'm running a bunch of apps at the same time, it's too hot to leave on my lap.

Luckily, I work at a place that has an Apple service center.

the problem with the thin, tightly constructed cases is heat dissipation.

What speed are your fans running at? Don't be afraid to turn them up. Even at 4000 RPM, they're barely audible.

I was enjoying 3000RPM, but it's no longer cutting it. I've since upped it to 4500RPM.I need to drown it out with iTunes to find my comfort zone. Even at these settings, I'm getting low-mid 60s.

As long as it's not high or low 70s, I'll be fine. I'm a little cheesed that there are no free apps to undervolt. I have only been able to find coolbook which cost $10 USD. Might get it if I don't find any other solutions.

I replaced the AS5 on my CD mbp and lost 8c.

I also ramp up the fan speed to 2800 and idle around 49c... Loading in the mid 90s as the fans auto-ramp up.
Picture3.png

Apparently a 99c load temp (highest I've seen it) isn't enough to warrant the replacement of my HSF unit :eek:

I replaced the AS5 on my CD mbp and lost 8c.

I also ramp up the fan speed to 2800 and idle around 49c... Loading in the mid 90s as the fans auto-ramp up.
Picture3.png

Apparently a 99c load temp (highest I've seen it) isn't enough to warrant the replacement of my HSF unit :eek:

Have you ran it at that temperature consistently? I would think your computer would start to warp at those temps.

With my Dual G4 1.0Ghz which really has nothing to do with a MBP, I have a program, I think it's called iStat, but I'm not sure, and it says that each CPU is running at about 65-70c. Makes the air coming out the back really hot :)

Have you ran it at that temperature consistently? I would think your computer would start to warp at those temps.

That generally only hits that high when I'm doing some emulation or something... I unfortumately, have to run ePSXe under XP parallel's... So it's a double emulation layer, pegs both CPU's at least 55% or so, + the system processes.

And yes, I was running it like this for HOURS at a time, even with my fans at 6000rpm it only does a few degrees better.

I have had FOUR BATTERIES bust out on me (go applecare!)... Gee, I wonder why. I've also got a hardwood desk, and attached some thicker silicone feet onto the bottom of the notebook.

I really wish I had bought a macbook.

How are you guys checking fan rpms / modfying their values?

I run F@H 24/7 on my MBP and I'm at a consistent 75C or so.

I have a 15" G4 powerbook, and it got extremely hot at one point. Too hot to touch, literally.

So I thought I would suggest this product (MBP version):
http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/me.php?category=pb

This is such a great product, that a Japanese friend of mine got for me. It really does lower the temp of your PB/MBP as much as stated and the design fits the MBP perfectly. Also has the added bonus of lifting your Mac to give you a better typing and viewing angle, as we as increasing airflow. You can either have it passive (no sound) cooling, or with a small fan to increase the cooling power - which is very quiet.

Hope this is of help to someone.

How are you guys checking fan rpms / modfying their values?

I run F@H 24/7 on my MBP and I'm at a consistent 75C or so.

SMC fan control for me.

I couldn't IMAGINE what FAH would do to my poor little guy.

I'm currently on battery with hardforums and activity monitor up and iTunes in the background. It's using about 3% of my CPU (2.16 C2D) and my CPU is at 52C.

/edit: I just turned on the iTunes visualizer to get the CPU time up (~70-80%) and it seems like I've stabilized at about 82C.

My Macbook is @ 62C w/ a lite load
my hd is @ 28C

and I am not worried, I have it placed on one of those desktop stands from griffin.

I don't know what caused it, but one of the fans on my MBP is starting to go out. I used to run it at 3000rpm when it was on (about 12hrs/day).

I used SMC Fan Control as well, I guess I was just hoping there was another overboost for these fans.

For those of you getting higher than 80C, are you using the laptop in a confined space?

My laptop is usually on my bed, hence I was asking because I thought I had the worst environment.

I have a 15" G4 powerbook, and it got extremely hot at one point. Too hot to touch, literally.

So I thought I would suggest this product (MBP version):
http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/me.php?category=pb

This is such a great product, that a Japanese friend of mine got for me. It really does lower the temp of your PB/MBP as much as stated and the design fits the MBP perfectly. Also has the added bonus of lifting your Mac to give you a better typing and viewing angle, as we as increasing airflow. You can either have it passive (no sound) cooling, or with a small fan to increase the cooling power - which is very quiet.

Hope this is of help to someone.

MINUS 8 CELCIUS from USB power? Highly unlikely. That's the skeptic in me talking.

I don't know what caused it, but one of the fans on my MBP is starting to go out. I used to run it at 3000rpm when it was on (about 12hrs/day).

How can you tell? Is it ignoring the probe or you have a hunch?

I've narrowed down my own problem. It seems I was unaware my xbox360 was on and it sits directly beneath my MBP. Temps are now at more sane levels which are mid-high 40s and low 60s when pushed.

MINUS 8 CELCIUS from USB power? Highly unlikely. That's the skeptic in me talking.

Ugh - That's a drop in temp by 8C. And the think isn't just USB power...:rolleyes: iStat recorded a 7C drop across, I had 61C on the bottom of my CPU under full load - now it helps it hover around 54C - it is in essence, a giant heatsink. NOT a USB cooler.

You carry on being the sceptic. I have one attached to my Mac - and it really does work regardless of how unlikely you think it is - and with no real world evidence of your own to back it up.

Back