My Q6600 has magically turned into a 486!

Well, not really, but that's what it feels like for several seconds or minutes after startup.

I purchased this PC (with Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit) a few weeks ago, and everything has been running perfectly until yesterday evening. I started playing Call of Duty 4, and I immediately noticed that it seemed my processor was having a really hard time, chugging really badly and almost coming to a halt for a few seconds, again and again, until finally the game freezed completely. I closed it forcefully and tried playing it again; same result, chugging all the time until it crashed. So, I scanned my HDD for viruses with AVG's free version and for spyware with Spybot Search and Destroy. Neither found anything. I restarted my computer and tried playing CoD4 again, now it worked perfectly! I figured I was rid of the problem, however it seems it's been replaced by a different one (or perhaps a different manifestation of the first problem). I have noticed that my computer is unusually slow for maybe one or two minutes after startup. For example, Firefox will take longer than usual to start after I click the icon (about 6-7 seconds instead of less than one second), Google's site (my home page) will load a bit more slowly, and if I type something in the search box, the letters might take a second or two to show up on screen! It's as if Firefox is chugging, just as CoD4 was chugging. The difference is that this stops after a little while.

What should I do?

Here are two screenshots of my processes according to Task Manager. There are two screenshots because the list is really long, there are more than 50 processes, which might be part of the problem:

http://i31.tinypic.com/xlwcg5.jpg
http://i31.tinypic.com/2ur5tv8.jpg

I have 59 processes running right now on my computer and it's fine.

Update: I've also noticed that a window appears for a split second after my wallpaper shows up. That's something that didn't happen before the problem began. Unfortunately the window vanishes too quickly for me to see what it is or to take a screenshot of it.

backup your data, then reformat and reinstall

CoD4 has started chugging again. I immediately checked Task Manager to see if any process was taking big percentage of CPU time, but no.

See if you can find any strange processes running in the background with Process Explorer
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx?PHPSESSID=9692e6

Check to see what programs start when you boot your PC with AutoRuns
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

If you are still struggling, run HiJackThis
http://www.majorgeeks.com/Trend_Micro_HijackThis_d5554.html

Be very careful what you delete with Autoruns and especially HiJackThis, research if needed.

Thanks, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with these. I mean, I looked at the list of programs given by AutoRuns, and I don't think there's anything that shouldn't be there, but how am I supposed to know for certain?

Just a guess, are you using AVG8?

Nope, 7.5.524.

Thanks, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with these. I mean, I looked at the list of programs given by AutoRuns, and I don't think there's anything that shouldn't be there, but how am I supposed to know for certain?.

When I need to know something I research it.

When in doubt, stop *everything* you know you do not absolutely need. Dock64. Winamp agent. Punkbuster. Adobe Speedlauncher. Spybot S&D. AVG. ObjectDock. Kill all of it.

When in doubt, stop *everything* you know you do not absolutely need. Dock64. Winamp agent. Punkbuster. Adobe Speedlauncher. Spybot S&D. AVG. ObjectDock. Kill all of it.

dock64? if i am not mistaken.. isnt that spyware?

i found that rocketdock slows my Q6600 down ALOT when booting, and when i close it i can get 5-8 more FPS when playing games, its horrribly programmed im guessing.. so i agree with this guy, close everything & try again

AVG 7.5 should be NOWHERE near that amount of ram used, unless you had a scan going at that time. Sometimes, software can just be plain incompatible with your system, depending on a bunch of variables. I'd *try* to install something else, like Avira Antivir free, just to see if that helps a little. If you don't want to swap AVs, try disconnecting from the net and manually shutting down all AVG processes, and see if that works.

Since its turned into a 486, you wont mind selling it for 486 prices then ? I will be generous, I will gift you a cpu thats much better than a 486 for a straight swap :p

u have to push the "turbo" button to make your PC back to a Q6600 ;)

I think it's likely that I have some kind of rundll32.exe worm or virus. I'm trying to figure out which one I have, and how to get rid of it. No luck so far.

Install Avast alongside your current AV for now, its free and no risk.
Make sure it is fully updated.
Scan your system and remove whichever AV you dont want after.
ie if avast finds nothing, you dont need it.
If it does find malware and your problems improve, consider keeping it.

Back