My Samsung 830 Doesn't Play Nicely

Mr. K6

Supreme [H]ardness
So I picked up a Samsung 830 256GB in the latest run of sales and got to installing it today. When I try to load Windows 7 64-bit Professional on it I get this error on the select a disk screen: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

Note that my Intel X25-M G2 160GB shows up fine and is an installation option in this menu. The Samsung is on the same channel my G2 used to be on, which is the Intel SATA 3 channel on my Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4. It's set to AHCI in the BIOS and I'm booting off the EFI option for my CD-ROM (booting non-EFI doesn't allow installation on EITHER of these GPT partitioned drives). I've been Googling to my heart's content with no avail, anyone have any suggestions/insight? Thanks in advance.

-Mr. K6

I used to get that a while back a couple times, I forgot what the fix was. It's not your SSD so don't worry.

Make sure that there are no partitions already on the disk. Hook it to another machine, and use the Samsung magician software to do a secure erase and try again.

Why is the disk already partitioned?

You're following this method: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...e-firmware-interface-install-windows-7-a.html ?
It's not. I misspoke, should have been "soon to be GPT partitioned drive." :p And yes, that's how I would install it. Before I was hesitant to install because of the error, but I went ahead and clicked next anyway. Windows completed the install, but true to its caveat when I tried to boot off the drive it hung at the "Loading Operating System" message (which is usually an instantaneous flash).
I used to get that a while back a couple times, I forgot what the fix was. It's not your SSD so don't worry.
Looking for that Hail Mary right about now. :cool:
Make sure that there are no partitions already on the disk. Hook it to another machine, and use the Samsung magician software to do a secure erase and try again.
I secured erase the drive using the latest version of Magician before I attempted the above install. No dice unfortunately.

I'm getting closer to calling Newegg for a return. I haven't had a drive/mobo incompatibility issue in years. Thanks for all the help so far guys, keep the suggestions coming if you got 'em. :)

EDIT: Tried the drive on all other channels (Intel SATA3 and SATA2, Gigabyte SATA) with the appropriate BIOS configurations (AHCI, etc.), still no boot.

Last edited:
Back