My Samsung 940B Review

looks the same on my panel, but i dont think its a "problem" with anything. I dont have another panel to look at the pic with but if you could check with another monitor to see if it looks the same that would shed some light. Check to make sure in the control panel that the colors are turned all the way up as that can create that effect.

Eagle156 said:
I have an ATI X800XL, 1024mb ram, and AMD XP 2800+. I'm running on DVI using the cable on newegg that you linked to and I'm running at 1280X1024 @ 75hz. I tried changing the refresh rate but it doesn't help. Here is a screenshot of the problem: (if you want to see if it occurs on your system, here is the original wallapaper: http://vv.0t8.net/wallpapers/aircraft/climb1280x1024.jpg)
If it's coming up in a screenshot, then it's being rendered by your video card that way. Your image (at full size) does look a tad different than the original on my CRT. Makes me think it's your video card and not the monitor.

Eagle156 said:
I have an ATI X800XL, 1024mb ram, and AMD XP 2800+. I'm running on DVI using the cable on newegg that you linked to and I'm running at 1280X1024 @ 75hz. I tried changing the refresh rate but it doesn't help. Here is a screenshot of the problem: (if you want to see if it occurs on your system, here is the original wallapaper: http://vv.0t8.net/wallpapers/aircraft/climb1280x1024.jpg)

Looks almost the same on my 940B too. (The text on your desktop seems blurred though.)

If the monitor is responsible for the banding you're talking about (and not your video card), the screenshot would not illustrate the issue. I simply do not see how a nice modern video card could not function properly and display the full spectrum of colors (unless it's defective). Since the 940B is a 6-bit panel which uses dithering to compensate for the colors it cannot display, perhaps a very keen eye could see banding.

Eagle156 said:
Is it just me or is there HORRIBLE banding that occurs with transitions tiny differences in colors? For example, a halo of a light in a game would appear banded and ugly in its small gray-white color transitions instead of being smooth. Is this a problem with the monitor or with the games I'm playing? It occurs often in pictures too.

Sounds like your video card. I get no issues like that with my 940b. Try another video card and see what happens.

I just got this monitor a day ago and it's awesome but I'm having one problem: when playing videos or games colors seem washed out. What's weird is that for like the first second a video is playing the colors are fine but a second later it 'transforms' to a more washed out look.

For example, playing a video with the first 5 seconds just being a black screen and logo, it's first a very deep black like it should be but a second later it becomes washed out...

I did solve this problem by turning down hardware acceleration to the second lowest level and it fixed it... however videos are all choppy now. Do I need a new video card maybe? I have a 660GT (128MB) so it shouldn't be a problem... :(

EDIT:

Ok anybody ever go into the menu ---> color --> magic color ---> magic zone? IT'S EXACTLY LIKE THAT!

I was just messing around the menu and when selecting magic zone, I get a 'zone' of a rectangle taking up about a third of the screen, it's transparent and gives everything it covers a 'washed out' look...

of course I have it turned off so I have no idea why all videos/games get that... or why it's not a problem when reducing hardware acceleration a lot. :confused:

EDIT_2:

FIXED! I'm an idiot! :D

I just selected the 'intelligent' setting in magic color and all is well. monitor should've come with a manual or something... :eek:

EDIT_3:

this just won't end... went to a lower resolution to mess with things and turning off magic color did NOT change anything back to the 'washed out' look.. same with the res I now used: 1280x1024... everything plays fine. I'm not sure what happened or if this is permanent.. what the hell.

question... I was setting the view angle with the Natural Color setup and the objective was to set it so that all birds on screen would appear with the same color and shade...

is this close enough?

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/5711/98811at.jpg

it's the best I got.

I'm not sure if it should be perfect or not since this is my first LCD...

man I'm starting to dislike this monitor...

everything at the top (gradually from bottom) becomes darker and the firefox navigation and bookmarks bars are an ugly grey color... if I drag it down to the bottom it's what I used to get on my old monitor. :(

anybody know if there's still a place that sells those aperture grille CRTs?

[
this just won't end... went to a lower resolution to mess with things and turning off magic color did NOT change anything back to the 'washed out' look.. same with the res I now used: 1280x1024... everything plays fine. I'm not sure what happened or if this is permanent.. what the hell.

Try turning the brightness down a notch. The 940b is very bright compared to most LCD's.

yeah I have my brightness at 20, anything more than 30 actually hurts my eyes.

can anybody answer a couple of questions I have on LCDs? Thanks for any help, I've been googling this stuff for a while and can't find any answer.

- how come I can display 800x600 and other resolutions in settings for the 940B? aren't LCDs fixed pixel displays? I thought it'd be set on just one (native) resolution.

- why does everything not really high-res display really badly even while only played in a small window?

all videos look so pixilated unless I'm watching a 720p trailer or something. I know fixed-pixel displays upscale but I'm only playing a certain file with a small 640x480 window for example... yet it looks way worse than my old crt which was dying before I switched.

Could someone take some pics of this monitor running Oblivion on high? I have the game but my card isn't great (X800XL) so I'm wondering what the 940b looks like with a good card. :)

so I just checked the LCD monitors at my school...

and I'm 100% positive there's something wrong with mine. those LCDs weren't even close to the 940B and yet there was no different contrast/gamma at the top of the screen (like 2 inches) that made everything look different. the entire screen had one uniform setting and it did not change. I'd browse a message forum on it and the colors of the backgrounds don't change when I scroll up and down depending on their position (whether they're getting closer to teh top or not).

it also can be seen from almost any angle and distance WITHOUT the viewer noticing any change in color, contrast, brightnes, etc...

I must've gotten a defective unit. :(

sounds like it. Give Samsung a call, i hear their warranty service is very good.

fantanode said:
all videos look so pixilated unless I'm watching a 720p trailer or something. I know fixed-pixel displays upscale but I'm only playing a certain file with a small 640x480 window for example... yet it looks way worse than my old crt which was dying before I switched.

could be reasons for that:

17 inch CRT's (which most people come from) are very small, cramped screens and exaggerate the sharpness of any video you watch on them. A 19 inch flat panel LCD is going to widen things out a bit. Ever see a film in a theater? It's not super sharp. It's more organic and soft looking. That's what watching movies on an LCD is like. Even the super large HD plasmas have softer features, it's just they have hyper defined edges.

Download the latest episode of Lost. When you watch it on the auto sizing feature on windows media player or VLC, it should be *razor sharp* on the 940b. When you expand it to full screen, it should become much more soft.

It could be you are just having problems because your monitor is bad. But I can tell you that on non 4 gb dvd releases, I do get a touch of pixellation simply because the video is not at high quality, and when stretched to full screen that will happen.

gallatin said:
Download the latest episode of Lost. When you watch it on the auto sizing feature on windows media player or VLC, it should be *razor sharp* on the 940b. When you expand it to full screen, it should become much more soft.

That's the thing, I've recently watched the latest lost episode on it and I did not do full screen and yet there was more than just a touch of pixilation.. no matter what window size I'm using. It wasn’t close to razor sharp. The colors are also not in the same league as my old crt, no matter how much I tune the settings. I don't have this problem with games though, just videos/clips of live people.

I’m just trying to figure out if this is just part of LCD technology in general or just my unit. If you’re saying Lost looks razor sharp I’m thinking the latter.

It's not too bad though, battlefield 2 is amazing on this thing and I'm absolutely loving the bigger size (coming from 17 inch). I don't think I can ever go back to a lower resolution. Videos shouldn’t be a problem since I’ll be getting another monitor, a 19 inch CRT, and the 940B will be a dedicated monitor for playstation 3.

And thanks for all the help guys. :)

I don't know if anybody has noticed this, but at least on my computer i've found that Natural Color calibration doesn't affect 3d games.

One easy way to test this is to use Natural Color and apply a very dark profile. When I run a 3d game color changes back to bright. I think this is because games use their own color profile (i've read that somewhere), but then what's the use in calibrating color if it doesn't work in games???? I've tested this with Morrowind and Guild Wars.

Anybody know something about this issue and how to calibrate color so that it works in games also?

Back