My wifi connection dies after 10-40 seconds, with a decent signal quality....

ubern00b15

Gawd
It's is a linksys WUSB11 V2.8, on a winxp (SP2) machine, useing the drivers that came with it, and the windows wifi utility, and I have all encription disabled. It is not raining here or anything, and it connected well before, after it reconnects, It reconnects with no trouble, yet it will not reconnect on it's own, I have to do it on my own, which interrupts everything that I am doing. It's really annoying, and I have the card in a position where it gets the best quality signal. It gets 2 or 3 bars, which isn't that bad.

can someone help me?

try hooking it up right next to your router. that will narrow down the issue. if its still getting disconnects you know its not a signal strength issue. if it indeed isn't a signal strength issue try to uninstall and reinstall the drivers, and as a last resort try reinstalling the networking components. If its a signal strength issue, you can always pick up a higher db antenna for under 20ish dollars.

first off, the router is like 45 yards away from the card, and the card is a usb card, so I cannot replace the antenna, I have tried to reinstall the cards drivers, but it didn't work, I even tried reformatting, and that didn't do anything either. I have no idea what is wrong........It worked great last week

45 yards is quite a distance, unless you're in an open field. Dont let the wifi specs fool you. When they say 100 meters range, they mean on a sunny day, in a wide open parking lot, with the wind blowing SE at 2 mph, while you're rubbing your stomach and patting your head at the same time. I was having a similar issue. My living room machine was 30ish feet from my router, and i was getting 2ish bars. I was having random disconnects, although i didn't have to manually reconnect, probably because i had it set to automatically log into the access point. Turns out it was my signal strength. I updated the firmware on my wrt54g and doubled the signal strength and never had the problem again. There are antennas you can buy that replace your router antenna as well, so you might be able to fix it on that end. what kind of router do you have?

Back