NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

#26 in Colorado, got mine yesterday. Next to my HAF922 this case is incredibly tiny. I didn't quite expect it to be THIS small. I am very happy, I just didn't exactly know how small it could get. Cannot wait for the parts to come in and to move my internals over. I can post pictures tonight, at work today and had to share.

Well that answers that question...I really need to play around with cable layouts...nothing is quite definitive, and squeezing cables behind the motherboard is getting difficult, while a nest is forming behind the lower front panel.

Are there any COTS ways of getting really closely spaced SATA connectors for the stacked 2.5" drives, or is splicing and sleeving the only option?

Thanks, again.

Nope you can get a splitter like mine.

You'll probably find an answer to that question (and many other "future" stuff) after February, Necere already said he'd re-evaluate when everybody (1st attempt) received their case.
Thanks for the information. I'm building a SFF rig next year and will be keeping an eye out for this case :D

Seems like the CP06-E2 would work better

Well remember these are extensions. So they don't replace the stock cable, they add length to the cable. The CP06-E2 is 194mm, over 7.6" long. Whereas the older CP06 (if you cut the 3rd and 4th cable off) is only 104mm, just over 4" long.

For those who plan on using AIO (asetek types) on the GPU:

tR7ftRxl.jpg

Does NOT fit with 25mm fans, 15mm (pictured) is ok. The pump has room but the tubes not.
[My 660ti reach 53°C on furmark with a Bequiet at 800rpm :)]

Well remember these are extensions. So they don't replace the stock cable, they add length to the cable. The CP06-E2 is 194mm, over 7.6" long. Whereas the older CP06 (if you cut the 3rd and 4th cable off) is only 104mm, just over 4" long.

Want to chime in here on the cables, the new CP06-E2 (and CP06-E4) uses silicon-based coating that is much more flexible than the original CP06, which uses rubber. So even if you have to deal with a longer cable for CP06-E2 on one end, it'll probably still be easier to cable manage.

And if you are willing to cut the CP06 down, you might as well get the CP06-E4, which is the same length, but again with much more flexible coating.

Question, I'm about to start ordering components for the case, and would like to WC it with a one unit system, single or dual radiator is fine , was planning on going with the ASRock Z87E-ITX so does anyone know if the H100i work with this, without no interfering with memory sticks, or heatsink etc.?

Second question: If one was to use a slot-load drive, and a dual radiator, is there still space for one SSD on the back/front panel next to the PSU (SFX 450W) ?

Got to say, props to the designer. This was by far the easiest case i've worked with.

Finished the transplant operation of the HTPC bits to the M1. Hard drives had me confused for a bit but I got them figured out through some reading and pics.

And if you are willing to cut the CP06 down, you might as well get the CP06-E4, which is the same length, but again with much more flexible coating.

Hey Tony, any news on the new 550W SFX PSU? And if not, do you happen to know if it will be semi-fanless?

Although I'd really like the higher wattage, my build will be just fine on 450W.. but I will seriously kick my own ass if I miss out on a semi-fanless PSU in that power class (even a 450W or 500W semi-fanless SFX would be awesome).

So, possibility or definitely not? Thanks!

Question, I'm about to start ordering components for the case, and would like to WC it with a one unit system, single or dual radiator is fine , was planning on going with the ASRock Z87E-ITX so does anyone know if the H100i work with this, without no interfering with memory sticks, or heatsink etc.?

Second question: If one was to use a slot-load drive, and a dual radiator, is there still space for one SSD on the back/front panel next to the PSU (SFX 450W) ?

You want have any problem using a H100i but it will need pushing down because of the tubing.

If you plan on using the ODD on the front you can still put one ssd on the inside at the front of the case.

Hey Tony, any news on the new 550W SFX PSU? And if not, do you happen to know if it will be semi-fanless?

Although I'd really like the higher wattage, my build will be just fine on 450W.. but I will seriously kick my own ass if I miss out on a semi-fanless PSU in that power class (even a 450W or 500W semi-fanless SFX would be awesome).

So, possibility or definitely not? Thanks!

550W in a SFX PSU will increase the heat generated from the components so it will have a higher RPM fan which will be even louder than the 450w there's no way it will be semi-fanless because of its size.

550W in a SFX PSU will increase the heat generated from the components so it will have a higher RPM fan which will be even louder than the 450w there's no way it will be semi-fanless because of its size.

a 550 Watt SFX PSU could in theory be designed more power efficient and/or better in terms of heat transfer, which could make it semi-fanless (like the ST30SF) e.g. for loads <150 Watt

a 550 Watt SFX PSU could in theory be designed more power efficient and/or better in terms of heat transfer, which could make it semi-fanless (like the ST30SF) e.g. for loads <150 Watt

This. I have no problem with a higher RPM fan, if necessary.. would just be incredibly awesome if the fan was *OFF* and dead-silent at idle, and low loads.. exactly how their new 300W SFX PSU is designed.

I have $250+ delegated to Silverstone products (PSU, CP11 cables, PP05-E cables, etc) that I'm not gonna purchase, until I see a semi-fanless SFX at 450W (or higher). If I don't see any details about this PSU soon, I'm just gonna buy a different brand ATX PSU and cables if they don't want my money. And I bet I'm not the only one ;)

You can hope but i wouldn't be putting any money on it, You have to think 300w PSUs have been around for years making one semi-fanless isn't a problem because its a unit that you would only be using for a office build not heavy use. Just change the fan out for a noise blocker i really do see the problem?

So I am desperately searching for a 140mm deep ATX PSU with a quiet fan. How is the corsair cx series in the noise department? Are there any good alternatives? Silver stone has the strider essential series but they aren't even 80 plus bronze... I really don't want to use the noisy silverstone sfx nor swap out the fan as I have no tools to do it.

Just change the fan out for a noise blocker i really do see the problem?

#1, Still wouldn't turn off, and be silent at idle and low loads. #2, Not keen on spending more time and money to fix a noisy $100 PSU, with results that still wouldn't give me #1.

Serious question, though.. would a 500W gold semi-fanless PSU generate more heat at sub-100W loads than the exact same sub-100W load on a 300W bronze semi-fanless?

And just to clarify, since this has been confused before.. semi-fanless is not the same as fanless. There is a fan, and it only kicks on at a certain load and then increases in RPM at a defined curve as load increases from there.

Please keep the discussion about the ST45SF-G and other SFX PSU's out of this topic, it is very annoying. Not everyone is bothered with the noise which is greatly exagerated in this forum.

You can hope but i wouldn't be putting any money on it, You have to think 300w PSUs have been around for years making one semi-fanless isn't a problem because its a unit that you would only be using for a office build not heavy use. Just change the fan out for a noise blocker i really do see the problem?

I already moded my ST45SF (bronze) with a noiseblocker fan ;)

Also if the PSU has an imaginary efficency of 90% over the whole load range, it doesn't really matter if the PSU is rated up to 300 Watt or 600 Watt if the actual load is let's say 150 Watt. 150 Watt load on the DC side would lead to a theoratical (!) power draw of about 167 Watt on the AC side. About 17 Watt of heat would 'end up' in the PSU (doesn't matter if it is the 300 or the 600 Watt version)

You could argue, that in the 300Watt PSU is probably more space for passive cooling measures like heatsinks, but I kinda doubt you would find any extra cooling in the ST30SF. If I look at that product shot from the silverstone hp it looks almost exaclty like my ST45SF I opened last week ;)

st30sf-inside.jpg

I already moded my ST45SF (bronze) with a noiseblocker fan ;)

Also if the PSU has an imaginary efficency of 90% over the whole load range, it doesn't really matter if the PSU is rated up to 300 Watt or 600 Watt if the actual load is let's say 150 Watt. 150 Watt load on the DC side would lead to a theoratical (!) power draw of about 167 Watt on the AC side. About 17 Watt of heat would 'end up' in the PSU (doesn't matter if it is the 300 or the 600 Watt version)

You could argue, that in the 300Watt PSU is probably more space for passive cooling measures like heatsinks, but I kinda doubt you would find any extra cooling in the ST30SF. If I look at that product shot from the silverstone hp it looks almost exaclty like my ST45SF I opened last week ;)

st30sf-inside.jpg

Mite look the same in side but the components wont be the same lower watt components create less heat its no different than overclocking your CPU the extra heat generated just from the extra power needed, The noiseblocker wont be any louder than the fan on your GPU any ways.

So I am desperately searching for a 140mm deep ATX PSU with a quiet fan. How is the corsair cx series in the noise department?

I´m using cx500 and my "stock" CPU cooler is louder than this PSU fan.
See: Worklog

But I started to face "PSU squealing" same problem as this other topic:
PSU squealing?

At the moment I don´t think I would by corsair PSU again.

Mite look the same in side but the components wont be the same lower watt components create less heat its no different than overclocking your CPU the extra heat generated just from the extra power needed, The noiseblocker wont be any louder than the fan on your GPU any ways.

you don't get it ... there is not more heat generated if the load is the same ...

Guess what, I have a Noctua on my GPU which is quieter than the nosieblocker ;)

you don't get it ... there is not more heat generated if the load is the same ...

Guess what, I have a Noctua on my GPU which is quieter than the nosieblocker ;)

I'm talking about heavy load not idle ;) , your noise blocker must be worn out then i can hardly hear mine.

No such luck for delivery! :(

Hopefully tomorrow.

As of this morning, still nothing.

I just spoke with an International Shipping rep at the USPS and they told me that they don't have any further information other than what is available on the USPS tracking site. In my case, it just shows the Nov 7 processing in TW. I explained that several people here in the US have received their packages including Houston.

They suggested that I contact the shipper to start an inquiry to look into the issue further as it should have arrived by now. Would the shipper be Lian-Li??
She was under the impression that it should have arrived in around 10 days!! :) If only that were true.

Necere or Wahaha360, I guess I'm not exactly sure what I should do next. I can continue to wait and see if it shows up in the next week or so. If it doesn't, I have to assume that maybe it's lost somewhere??

Edit: Adding that I'm on Dispatch 26 and also on the 1st Priority Shipping List.

Last edited:
Has anyone in northern CA (i.e., north of Sacramento) received their case from dispatch 26? I saw that before xmas LA and some in WA state were arriving...

Has anyone in northern CA (i.e., north of Sacramento) received their case from dispatch 26? I saw that before xmas LA and some in WA state were arriving...

I haven't received yet but my usps tracking updated saying it has arrived in at my local post office in Gresham Oregon. I assume it will be delivered when my mail usually does (~3pm pst). I will defiantly keep you guys posted when I receive it.

I haven't received yet but my usps tracking updated saying it has arrived in at my local post office in Gresham Oregon. I assume it will be delivered when my mail usually does (~3pm pst). I will defiantly keep you guys posted when I receive it.

Hmm. My USPS tracking is still unchanged since the Nov 7th processing in Taiwan...

As of this morning, still nothing.

I just spoke with an International Shipping rep at the USPS and they told me that they don't have any further information other than what is available on the USPS tracking site. In my case, it just shows the Nov 7 processing in TW. I explained that several people here in the US have received their packages including Houston.

They suggested that I contact the shipper to start an inquiry to look into the issue further as it should have arrived by now. Would the shipper be Lian-Li??
She was under the impression that it should have arrived in around 10 days!! :) If only that were true.

Necere or Wahaha360, I guess I'm not exactly sure what I should do next. I can continue to wait and see if it shows up in the next week or so. If it doesn't, I have to assume that maybe it's lost somewhere??

Edit: Adding that I'm on Dispatch 26 and also on the 1st Priority Shipping List.

I did similarly on the 24th. We know more than they do (that's a quote from them). They have access to the same tracking system we do and nothing more. The tracking system gets updated when certain events occur, and apparently receiving a package into their system from a ship isn't one of them, but receiving a package at the destination office is. So the remaining undelivered packages are still most likely just on trucks bound for final destination post offices. When they arrive they will go out for delivery and then at that time they will admit they have the package (maybe even 2-3 hours after it goes out for delivery). Despite our packages being Priority Mail (1-3 day delivery -- NOT guaranteed), delivery from the east coast can take up to 7 business days to more remote parts of the country on a truck under normal conditions. Seven business days would be Saturday. Some have gone via air while others haven't obviously. If they aren't received by then, there is a problem.

San Diego checking in here: Dispatch 26, Ser No 0151 just arrived.

BTW, if #0007 is interested in trading tags, please let me know.

CP11 has been sold out all week on Amazon.. :mad:

EDIT: Just noticed that Newegg finally has some in stock, also with free shipping (I know we hate Newegg, but for those of you who can't wait for Amazon)!

Last edited:
Hmm. My USPS tracking is still unchanged since the Nov 7th processing in Taiwan...

Dang, I imagine it will be updated when you package is being loaded on the mail truck to be delivered. I hope it updates soon for ya !
On a side note, i snagged one of those slim blu-ray burners but forgot that I needed a special cable for it. Anyone have a link of the best one available ? Thanks !

I recently picked up the Ncase M1 and am loving it, but I will probably have to give up some hardware to fit a full ATX psu. This is the current list of parts that will be going into the little guy:

Asus Impact
i7-4770k
16GB DDR3
MSI R9 290x
Samsung EVO 840 128gb SSD
WD 4TB HDD
Apogee Waterblock (with pump)
240mm rad (not sure which)
120mm Raad (not sure which)
Wateblock for the R9
Slim DVD/CD Combo
up to 6 120mm case fans for the rads

Very simple question, can the Silverstone SFX 450w Gold PSU handle this? If it can, is there any room for OC?

I have a corsair now and it simply won't fit as it hits the card, but if i get a smaller ATX psu I could make it fit above the card, but I would have to give up a rad and HDD more then likely.

Case came in to Philadelphia from dispatch 26, :D.

I recently picked up the Ncase M1 and am loving it, but I will probably have to give up some hardware to fit a full ATX psu. This is the current list of parts that will be going into the little guy:

Asus Impact
i7-4770k
16GB DDR3
MSI R9 290x
WD 4TB HDD
Wateblock for the R9
Slim DVD/CD Combo

Very simple question, can the Silverstone SFX 450w Gold PSU handle this? If it can, is there any room for OC?

I have a corsair now and it simply won't fit as it hits the card, but if i get a smaller ATX psu I could make it fit above the card, but I would have to give up a rad and HDD more then likely.
6 120mm fans?

Last edited:
Dang, I imagine it will be updated when you package is being loaded on the mail truck to be delivered. I hope it updates soon for ya !
On a side note, i snagged one of those slim blu-ray burners but forgot that I needed a special cable for it. Anyone have a link of the best one available ? Thanks !

I picked up one of these: StarTech.com Slimline SATA to SATA Adapter with Power(SLSATAADAP)
http://amzn.com/B002O1W6ZK

Decent reviews.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Asus Impact
i7-4770k
16GB DDR3
MSI R9 290x
WD 4TB HDD
Wateblock for the R9
Slim DVD/CD Combo

Where are you planning on mounting the 120 rad? The back fan vent? I'm planning on a full loop with GPU added to an H220 and would like to add a second rad if possible.

does dispatch 26 contain priority and non priority shipment?

It definitely includes some non-priority shipments. I ordered during the last days of the final ordering window on ncases.com. I think someone posted recently that they were a 1st shipment list order on #26 as well.

Asus Impact
i7-4770k
16GB DDR3
MSI R9 290x
WD 4TB HDD
Wateblock for the R9
Slim DVD/CD Combo
You can't fit all that in the Ncase, let alone with an ATX PSU (no 240mm rad) so you have to make a choice here and now: go with an SFX PSU and do a full loop with one 240mm radiator or get an ATX PSU and do everything with a single 120mm radiator ?

But 6 fans and an HDD and dual radiator and a SFX PSU is also impossible. Look at the pictures on the start post and you'll figure out why.

This case isn't designed for OC'ing so you'll either have to loose cooling capacity (ATX PSU, single rad) or power capacity (SFX PSU and dual rad).
I am running the configuration in my signature since day one (stock clocks) and it hasn't failed me.

Also, check to make sure the Apogee fits on the Asus Impact, as an ITX board is limited on what fits.

I picked up one of these: StarTech.com Slimline SATA to SATA Adapter with Power(SLSATAADAP)
http://amzn.com/B002O1W6ZK

Decent reviews.

Appreciate it, thank you! Now I just need a mobo and ram and I'll have enough to at least get a build started.

Edit: regarding the above posters build. Seems like it will be a lot easier to fit the apogee II without all those riser cards. I installed a h220 block on my buddies Impact and it is REALLY tight to the point of not working. You have to slightly "bend" the riser card to make it work. I would go with MSI's new ITx gaming mobo. It's going to be a while before I can afford water cooling but that is my tentative plan unless I hear the AD II doesn't fit. I'm worried about it conflicting with the ram slots in the horizontal position (I want to use trident x memory) and conflicting with the pci slot in the vertical.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back