NCASE M1: a crowdfunded Mini-ITX case (updates in first post)

Considering this image, I would expect it COULD fit because the power connectors and PCB aren't as high, but I guess Necere might answer that one better. I'm never sure which measurements are applied to what (with or without PCI-bracket, including motherboard, ..

That's what I'm thinking, the extra height is just the actual cooler, the PCB and the power connectors are the standard height and in the standard position. But I'm not sure...

Necere... help me please! :p

Forgive my complete ignorance, but if I only have 4 fans (2x92mm + 2x120mm) do I only need 4 demicflex filters? or should I get more for the additional openings (like on the top of the case)?

Well I'm on my second GTX 770, first one had terrible coil whine, second has less but still plenty to be annoying. Anyone else have this problem? Are there any solutions besides getting a replacement and crossing my fingers?

Tight fit with H80i. Had to use a slim fan

12230058014_7ca88a3985_z.jpg

How I see it:

If you don't flip it you got 2 options; using the rad fans as in- or outtake. If you use them as intake you're correct and you'll blow hotter air inwards the PSU (and thus faster fan speeds). However if you use them as outtake (I'd do that, you want to blow air outside the case) convection streams from the top will get you cooler air. This situation creates a bit of a problem; you got 2x 120mm fans blowing air out and the psu fan is struggling for air... you'll create a bit of a turbulent air stream right there in that corner which is never good.

So I'd say swapping the psu should create the best effect...
Could be wrong though, this is how I approach such problems from a water management point of view, I look at the flow(s)... (yeah I'm a stereotype dyke-building/engineering Dutchie)

Thanks fellow Dutchie. I have decided to flip. Demci filters are on their way and modded the psu today with a noiseblocker fan. :)
Still waiting for my reservoir.... :'(

Thanks fellow Dutchie. I have decided to flip. Demci filters are on their way and modded the psu today with a noiseblocker fan. :)
Still waiting for my reservoir.... :'(

They were getting the new laser cutter this week, so they should be able to speed up with the backlog soon.

My reservoir arrived finally yesterday, after three months and two days of waiting. The faceplate was upside down and it's attached with some strange sized hex socket bolts. Oh well...

How much of an improvement will I see in keeping a 240mm rad in the bottom of the case without any fans on it? I know the cooling efficiency wouldn't be as high as if I had fans, but would there be any improvement in the additional surface area?

My reservoir arrived finally yesterday, after three months and two days of waiting. The faceplate was upside down and it's attached with some strange sized hex socket bolts. Oh well...

2.5mm? or wider? can you measure it?

How much of an improvement will I see in keeping a 240mm rad in the bottom of the case without any fans on it? I know the cooling efficiency wouldn't be as high as if I had fans, but would there be any improvement in the additional surface area?

More heatsink volume/area is always going to give a benefit, but if I had to guess, you won't see more than a few degrees difference on your CPU/GPU.

If it's metric and you have US or vice versa, you can use a smaller key with a rubber band: lay the band flat over the hole, shove smaller key in. Should be enough grip to turn it

Well I'm on my second GTX 770, first one had terrible coil whine, second has less but still plenty to be annoying. Anyone else have this problem? Are there any solutions besides getting a replacement and crossing my fingers?

Which model? Not all models are created equal. In any event none of them should have coil whine.

Which model? Not all models are created equal. In any event none of them should have coil whine.

I can't agree more. I first had an EVGA model with the Nvidia reference blower heatsink, which had fairly loud coil whine. Then I tried the Gigabyte GTX 770, which was less loud, but still enough to be annoying. I've returned both and I'm waiting on a replacement EVGA currently... If the replacement has the same issue, I'm not sure what I will do :( At least it's encouraging to find that I am not the only one that feels the same way. Sorry this is kind of off-topic for the thread, but I was posting partly out of frustration and also on the off chance that maybe someone else here would have had the same problem.

Look what I picked up from the post office today;

exRBq8d.jpg

Though late for the party and been lost in transit no scratches or dimples of any sort :)

Last edited:
Tight fit with H80i. Had to use a slim fan

12230058014_7ca88a3985_z.jpg

Umm that doesn't look to healthy i wouldn't keep it like that for two long the hoses look they there pushing down on the board.

Got to love that long PSU cable i cut mine down you should do the same.

I can't agree more. I first had an EVGA model with the Nvidia reference blower heatsink, which had fairly loud coil whine. Then I tried the Gigabyte GTX 770, which was less loud, but still enough to be annoying. I've returned both and I'm waiting on a replacement EVGA currently... If the replacement has the same issue, I'm not sure what I will do :( At least it's encouraging to find that I am not the only one that feels the same way. Sorry this is kind of off-topic for the thread, but I was posting partly out of frustration and also on the off chance that maybe someone else here would have had the same problem.

In my M1 I´m using PNY 770 GTX without problem.
I just had this coil whine with Corsair CX500, so I´m temporarly using one from Coolermaster until I get a new one from ebay.

Got to love that long PSU cable i cut mine down you should do the same.
Yeah, long (PSU) cables ruin the Ncase's potential. I'm planning on trimming and sleeving the PP05-E set to the shortest possible distances, I'd like to keep my Ncase as tidy as possible.

Yeah, long (PSU) cables ruin the Ncase's potential. I'm planning on trimming and sleeving the PP05-E set to the shortest possible distances, I'd like to keep my Ncase as tidy as possible.

Looking to do the same.
Is there a point in getting PP05-E and shortening them instead of just trimming and sleeving the original cables?

Looking to do the same.
Is there a point in getting PP05-E and shortening them instead of just trimming and sleeving the original cables?

No don't waste your money on the PP05-E if your going to sleeve them your better off just buying the wire and the connectors, I brought the PP05-E and shorted them but i didn't sleeve them as i liked them in a ribbon.

as you can see i shorted them all.
20140121_225628.jpg

Today isnt off to a good start...

Once I got up this am and turned on my cpu, my H220 pump was stuck maxing at 100%. Long story short, looks like my cpu header has gone semi-bad and is stuck at 12v but the fan header still works correctly. Tried old BIOS, BIOS reset, etc.

Whats even better is I have the AsRock z87 and I cant get hold of support/ RMA it for at least a couple of weeks due to the Chinese new year. I just ordered a fan controller off FrozenCPU so I guess I wont be using the fan headers on the board anymore. I going to have to put the fan header in the SSD slot of the case. There goes my clean case

Better than paying for shipping and waiting for the board to be sent back I guess

Today isnt off to a good start...

Once I got up this am and turned on my cpu, my H220 pump was stuck maxing at 100%. Long story short, looks like my cpu header has gone semi-bad and is stuck at 12v but the fan header still works correctly. Tried old BIOS, BIOS reset, etc.

Whats even better is I have the AsRock z87 and I cant get hold of support/ RMA it for at least a couple of weeks due to the Chinese new year. I just ordered a fan controller off FrozenCPU so I guess I wont be using the fan headers on the board anymore. I going to have to put the fan header in the SSD slot of the case. There goes my clean case

Better than paying for shipping and waiting for the board to be sent back I guess

I'm sorry to hear that and wish the best of luck on the RMA. Have you tried other fans on the motherboard header? The pump itself is okay? Please let us know how it goes as many of the NCASE builds are using that motherboard.

I have the PNY also. No problems with it.

I've got a PNY 780ti and have had absolutely no issues. It also came with Hynix memory if that matters and a lifetime warranty at a great price point.

Hey guys.

Long time lurker here. First time posting. I got my M1 Black( First Edition Serial:0502) last week and it went on an unusual adventure before I got it.

You see I live in the Caribbean, and to make it easier for wahaha and Necere, I just decided to ship it to relatives in the US and have them bring it for me when they visited. From the tracking data I have it seems to have reached the US location on time.

Now, my relatives are not exactly young and appreciative of premium tech. They probably had no idea what this thing was. They brought it down themselves, as a CARRY ON after TAKING IT OUT OF THE BOX! I received the bare case in a plastic bag! :eek:

I am amazed that there is not a single dent, scratch, or imperfection on my particular model. All accessories are also accounted for.

So after inspection, I have to say, this case is the cutest thing evar! :)

Really excited to build in it this year. I had a whole list of parts that I was happy with last year, but then CES came along as was like "That's a nice parts list you got there. It would be a shame...if someone were to make you...reconsider it."

So yeh. The only parts I'm actually sure I want for sure as of right now are:

1. 600 watt modular SFX Power Supply from Silverstone + PP05E short flat cables
2. Maximus VI Impact Motherboard from Asus
3. core i7 4770K Processor from Intel
4. 16GB 1600 Vengeance Pro Red from Corsair
5. 180GB M.2 SSD from Intel mounted to the Impact M.2 slot for OS and basic programs

I chose the Impact based on the fact that it can run without any offboard parts.
Notice that so far I have enough parts to boot up the system excluding a CPU cooler. Which is what I'm having trouble with as the build grows.

Things to note.

i. I plan on eventually using the finished build for prosumer class video editing and fairly high level gaming.
ii. I really want to maintain the black and red color scheme as much as possible.

I eventually want to have this loaded with:

Two 4TB HDDs for movies/music/backup storage.
One SSD for video editing software and main project storage.
One SSD for games and scratch disk for editing.
A fairly quiet enthusiast class AMD Radeon GPU(I'm dreaming, I know).

I'm going to have to go air cooling for CPU and GPU in order to fit all this in there. I also want two 120mm intake case fans on the bottom and one 80mm exhaust in the back. Also will be ordering the Demciflex filter kit.

I want AMD Radeon for GPU because their price/performance ratio for video rendering in a lot of programs is WAY better than the affordable Nvidia options. Also Mantle, FreeSync and TrueAudio look promising.

I guess as the year goes on, new releases will make my decisions harder or easier. The only thing I still need to get started as soon as the 600SFX comes out is a good CPU air cooler that can work with all the other parts I plan on putting in at a later date. So yeh, I'd really like some help with that if anyone has any ideas after reading this.

Thanks for your time reading this, and special thanks to Necere and Wahaha for pretty much making me excited about PC building again. :)

They brought it down themselves, as a CARRY ON after TAKING IT OUT OF THE BOX! I received the bare case in a plastic bag! :eek:

I am amazed that there is not a single dent, scratch, or imperfection on my particular model. All accessories are also accounted for.

Awesome :)

I'm sorry to hear that and wish the best of luck on the RMA. Have you tried other fans on the motherboard header? The pump itself is okay? Please let us know how it goes as many of the NCASE builds are using that motherboard.

Yep. CPU header = stuck at 100%. Chasis fan = working but is voltage vs PWM. Dont think I'm going to bother RMAing it right now since I have a fan controller on the way

Just finished my build and got pictures all ready, #490 complete for now!

e7s5kmf.jpg

3BVXl3e.jpg

3yqDl7X.jpg

8s3G66G.jpg

93Hfy1u.jpg

Full album with interior pictures here:
http://imgur.com/a/3ccvd#0

Build list:

Case: NCASE M1 #490
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K
CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220
Motherboard: ASRock Z87E-ITX
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Plextor M5M 256GB mSATA SSD
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB
Power Supply: Silverstone 450w ST45SF-G
Custom Cabling and Paracord Sleeving

Just finished my build and got pictures all ready, #490 complete for now!

Full album with interior pictures here:
http://imgur.com/a/3ccvd#0

Build list:

Case: NCASE M1 #490
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K
CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220
Motherboard: ASRock Z87E-ITX
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Plextor M5M 256GB mSATA SSD
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB
Power Supply: Silverstone 450w ST45SF-G
Custom Cabling and Paracord Sleeving

Looking very good! Nice and clean! :D

Packed the NCASE back to its box yesterday and took her to the storage. Will be building the Compact Splash as my next rig due to better watercooling support. The NCASE is absolutely beautiful though, I'm sure I'll use it for a media PC in the future.

Packed the NCASE back to its box yesterday and took her to the storage. Will be building the Compact Splash as my next rig due to better watercooling support. The NCASE is absolutely beautiful though, I'm sure I'll use it for a media PC in the future.

I like the Compact Splash but also the M1 is just as good the only difference is it has support for a 120 rad on the front.

It's most definitely not the ONLY difference.

Splash:

+extra 120mm rad support
+easier to route the tubing
+room for a dedicated pump + res inside the case
+drainport / fillport option
-less options for HDD's (only 2 x 2.5")
-no ODD
-not so well finished, very "industrial" look
-heavy

M1:

+multiple HDD options
+beautiful finish, light as a feather
+enough room for decent air cooling
+ODD possibility
-very little room for a dedicated pump and reservoir (basically only external reservoirs possible)
-no drainport / fillport
-gets really crowded with tubing for CPU and GPU
-only a single 240mm rad will fit

AIO coolers will fit both easily of course.

But as for me, the extra 120mm rad in the Splash was a dealbreaker.

Look what I picked up from the post office today;
Though late for the party and been lost in transit no scratches or dimples of any sort :)

I got my M1 Black( First Edition Serial:0502)...I am amazed that there is not a single dent, scratch, or imperfection on my particular model. So after inspection, I have to say, this case is the cutest thing evar! :)

Hurrah! Grats on getting your cases. Glad your patience was rewarded.

Back