NEC 23" IPS EA231WMi

Ordered mine yesterday from Provantage and it will be here tomorrow per the tracking information. I'll be sure to post up comparison shots between it and my 21.5" S-PVA Gateway.

Ordered mine yesterday from Provantage and it will be here tomorrow per the tracking information. I'll be sure to post up comparison shots between it and my 21.5" S-PVA Gateway.

...Don't forget to take shots showing off the uniformity ;-P

Just got my 2 nec screens, but it will be a little while before I can set them up as I am still waiting for parts of my new workstation to come in.

I have the 2490Wuxi (not the 2) I wanted another matching monitor and thought I would try the 23" Do the colors dis[play alike? I am using mine for mostly office work trading. I bought the 2490 for photography so thats my main monitor and this 23" will be secondary.

whats this talk about the coating? are they different?

I have the 2490Wuxi (not the 2) I wanted another matching monitor and thought I would try the 23" Do the colors dis[play alike? I am using mine for mostly office work trading. I bought the 2490 for photography so thats my main monitor and this 23" will be secondary.

whats this talk about the coating? are they different?

EA231 WMI is a couple notches down if not one notch down in quality. From the reviews in this thread, I think the color uniformity and back light uniformity is pretty much a lottery. It doesn't have the advance color features built into the OSD like the 2490 WUXI has. If you want another good monitor, maybe you should wait for the new PA series to come out.

If you want dual monitor action with consistent desktop size, I suggest buying another 1920x1200 monitor instead of 1080. IMO, The difference of 120 pixels is big.

I wouldn't recommend EA231 for professional photo editing or art work either. I recommend it to people who need a nice media monitor that has better than average picture quality and is only an occasional gamer.

The coating is different. 2490 wuxi is one of the last NECs to get that fancy coat everyone raves about.

well my use for a second monitor is side by side when reviewing stock charts and such involved with trading. For photos I will strictly use my main 2490 monitor. SO I'm wondering if the 23" will fit in fine and that the 1" difference won't stand out completely. I would like the same frame color/style too.

Whats up with the 2490? I know they stopped making the 1 version, but the 2 version seems to have some negative things about and it sells for only $750 and the 1 version still getting $1K for it.

I'd spend the 1K BUT the wife wasn't too thrilled about having a $1000 monitor. But I do say, for spending 8-10 hours a day at the screen, I never suffered from eye strain!

the color shift is only visible on test patterns so subjectively speaking you may like the ea231wmi just as much or more than the wuxi, given the wmi's higher contrast. out of the box calibration is awesome, too.

it looks cool but those portrait monitors give me mass eye strain since ClearType won't work right in portrait mode >.< has the fuzzyness of ClearType text in portrait mode been something you've noticed?

never did portrait mode. Thats just a fantasy setup. I'm looking to do a triple setup up though. 24" in the middle and maybe 2 23" on the side.

BTW I never knew that the type changes in portrait mode. Maybe I'll just flank with 21" ers

BTW I never knew that the type changes in portrait mode.

I never thought about it before either. But if you think about when you flip a monitor to portrait you change the orientation of the pixels.

The RGB subpixels are flipped so the red would be on top and the blue on the bottom.

SO I assume there are SPECIAL monitors that do portrait? either way, I think for the price the NEC for $300 or so is worth a try, versus spending $750 for 2490(2) or $1K for the true 2490

Hey guys,

Well I received the monitor today. It looks pretty nice so far. however, I do have one issue. It seems like the monitor isn't handling color transitions well during video playback (looks like splotchy circles). Here is a picture to help explain. Its an HD feed from the internet. I've got the monitor hooked up to my mac mini via DVI.

Any suggestions?

cimg1789b.jpg

Last edited:
i'm betting it's the video itself..now your monitor is just good enough that you can see the gradation in dark tones. i certainly noticed this with a lot of my compressed movies >.<

ha ha. Damn monitor is TOO good. Do you think this will show on blu-ray movies? I don't have an HDMI to DVI yet, so i can't experiment.

man, the compliments on this monitor are giving me the trigger finger! I've been here for years and while I may not post often enough I do appreciate all the valid reviews of items. some of the in depth studies on monitors are above me but you still learn. that text thing blows my mind, in portrait mode. how do they fix that?

guys i just got my EA231WMi and it looks brand new every thing came but i notice there was no plastic covering the screen...it just came in an anti-static bag is this how its suppose to come?

ha ha. Damn monitor is TOO good. Do you think this will show on blu-ray movies? I don't have an HDMI to DVI yet, so i can't experiment.
Ya, it's probably the video compression. I don't notice any issues with Blurays when I watch them on my PS3 (or through my PC burner). They look quite amazing actually :)

Hey guys,

Well I received the monitor today. It looks pretty nice so far. however, I do have one issue. It seems like the monitor isn't handling color transitions well during video playback (looks like splotchy circles). Here is a picture to help explain. Its an HD feed from the internet. I've got the monitor hooked up to my mac mini via DVI.

Any suggestions?
Garbage in, garbage out.

Ya, it's probably the video compression. I don't notice any issues with Blurays when I watch them on my PS3 (or through my PC burner). They look quite amazing actually :)

I hope so. Thats probably my biggest concern with this monitor (or any for that matter). The movies gotta look great (or as close to great as can be had with an LCD monitor for $340.00!). O, thanks for the feedback so far everyone!

Last edited:
Mine just arrived and I'm blown away by the clarity of the colors... I really didn't think it could possibly look any better then my S-PVA Gateway but boy was I wrong. Hopefully I'll get up some comparison shots tonight.

What can you tell us about the matte coating on it? Is the graininess issue overblown?

When referring to the MATTE COATING, what exactly do you mean? The finish on the exterior/housing of the monitor or something to do with the screen? I'll be happy to take a pic once I figure out what your talking about.

Its just a standard matte coating, nothing that is distracting or anything.

Mine just arrived and I'm blown away by the clarity of the colors... I really didn't think it could possibly look any better then my S-PVA Gateway but boy was I wrong. Hopefully I'll get up some comparison shots tonight.

looking forward to seeing those

I got my replacement from NEC yesterday, which was surprising considering they told me they weren't getting any in until Jan 15th... Anyways, the new one actually has a build date of September 09, which is 2 months earlier than the previous one I got. I'm not sure if this means NEC sent me a refurb (it was supposed to be new), so I'll follow up on that, but right now I can still see a bit of the color uniformity problem, but it's much better than my first copy so I may be keeping this one. I need to run some more calibration tests and take some photos, but that will come later.

Turns out I suck at taking pictures to compare the two displays... Any tips for exposure settings?

A tripod is basically a must if you want a good exposure without any other ambient light besides the monitor. It's also important to try and be as dead-on center with the screen as you can. Make sure the lens plane is pretty even with the monitor plane. If you don't have a tripod, try and stack some books or other objects on your desk as a makeshift support.

Exposure wise, I'm not sure what camera you're using so it's hard to recommend something, but if you can... keep the ISO low, f/stop isn't that important so don't worry about that, and try and use your histogram (if the camera has one) while adjusting the shutter speed to get an exposure that's around the middle of the histogram. If you're throwing a grey background up on the monitor your histogram should be very concentrated in one area and it will be easy to tell what adjustments you'll need to make to the shutter speed to get a good middle exposure.

The right side looks a little blue/green'ish maybe, but it's not that bad at all (to my eyes at least).

Yeah, I didn't think it was too terribly bad either. Probably not something to fuss/return over, in this case.

I believe my manufacture date was Nov. 2009. Its the little white tag on the back that has the manufacture date, correct? Says something like "2009. 11".

I have not checked that but if you install NaViSet (allows to control the OSD settings), on the info tab you can see "Manufactured: 2009 Week XY".

Uniformity pic: Try also grey (RGB 128,128,128) background. To my eyes it is quite blue. At least very striking to me because I have little bit yellow on the right side. Then again hard to say how much photos exactly exaggerates it.

edit

Last edited:
Back