NEC 23" IPS EA231WMi

I'm debating on ordering this from Amazon @ 315 shipped or waiting for the HP ZR24w.

That's what I did, got it yesterday.
No dead pixels, very very slight backlight bleed better than most I was looking at, color uniformity is exellent.
Images looks great.
Text not so great with typical lcd look.
Overall give me a trinitron any day but it is way better than the acer tn I took back after 10min so I guess I will keep it.

Getting the brightness and contrast dialed in is a pain.

Set right for most things makes the white test bleed at hardocp

Yeah but I'm in California so I'll get taxed. I may as well try and go for a dual 2209WA or EA231WMi for a little more. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
That test is unnecessary. If you're not seeing the pattern during normal use, then you don't have to worry about it, but even on monitors where I could see the pattern, it was fainter than TN dithering.

Most non-TN monitors I've seen have the 4a/4b pattern.

I have a 5850 graphics card and I am thinking of picking up this monitor. Should I go with a displayport cable or dvi?

I do play online first person shooters. I really wish i could try this monitor before making a decision as i have no idea how much the slow responsiveness is going to bother me. Does anyone here play fast video games at all? Is it really going to be that cumbersome?

Depends on what you use now. If you have an older LCD around 8ms you will notice ghosting, If you are using a CRT, this Is not the monitor for you.

I came from using a Samsung 215 TW, and noticed the ghosting right away. The ghosting Isn't bad, but If your used to a faster display you'll either have to adjust or don't buy this panel. The thing I did notice, Is the colour In allot of games Is night and day from the Samsung , almost like playing totally different games.

Well I watched this thread for months but ended up going for the HP ZR24W. Sure I'd have been happy with this NEC also but I wanted 16x10.

techbargains shows that newegg is selling it for 280 shipped with coupon so I think its time to bite for me.

I cant find many good comparison photos or articles on the quality of an IPS image vs a CRT image. Can someone enlighten me on what to expect?

I have an older black bezeled 20" viewsonic CRT and I got a cheap 20" dell TN panel (i think its a Dell ST2010 but they dont sell it anymore) and having the 2 side by side is just so awful. The CRT is so much richer and the txt more readable. The dell is too bright and jaggy and junky looking. I'm sure its a super nasty TN panel and i deserve what i paid for it (100$), but im still a little gun shy about getting this NEC even though the reviews say its pretty nice.

Am i to expect better or worse images? I'd like to finally upgrade and clear some desk space :)

I was quite pleased with the image quality myself. I'm actually replacing my FW900 with a 2nd one tonight (and soon 3rd). Unfortunately any comparison photos I've taken really don't show much (can thank my camera for that).

Dunno if I should just order one for now, or order 2, cause I don't have a 5000 series card... yet...

Dunno if I should just order one for now, or order 2, cause I don't have a 5000 series card... yet...

If you aren't in California there's some smokin' deals on that monitor right now...I don't see the price dropping that low in the future.

Well it's been around $300 for a while, I think i'll just pickup one for now, and one more when I can afford a 5870

Well it's been around $300 for a while, I think i'll just pickup one for now, and one more when I can afford a 5870

That's my plan. Even if the price on the monitor doesn't change, my guess is the price on the 5870 will!

One of the features I enjoy with my NEC 23" monitor is the ability to switch to portrait when I want to read documents, etc. But for some reason the display rotation feature appears to have disappeared from either control panel or ati catalyst. Anyone know what I need to do to get it back?

PS you can get the NEC EA231wmi with free shipping from Amazon for $309.99 at the moment. And Amazon's return policy is great. Newegg's return policy on monitors is not so good - requiring 8 dead pixels before they'll accept a return. But you would save $30 compared to Amazon, so I guess the tradeoff might be worth it.

The NEC @ Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LARVYK/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Newegg monitor policy
http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/ReturnPolicy.aspx#36

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That's my plan. Even if the price on the monitor doesn't change, my guess is the price on the 5870 will!

Yep, I can use dual-monitors for programming/other work with my GTX260 in the meantime though so I'll probably order one.

Bought one of these for now for $279.99 :)

Display Port IPS. It was a deal, cannot wait for 2 more for eyefinity!

Talk about how Good NEWEGG is. I order 3 of these for an eyefinity setup Monday @ $309/per.

I was pretty happy with that deal until I say the Coupon code. I then emailed Newegg who without issue refunded me $90.

Ive been ordering from the Egg for over 8 years and I will not stop now. Even when they dont have the best price I order from them. Service > Cheapest price

Oh and for anyone on the fence about the NEC EA231WMi... get off of it. Exceptional monitors from a quality standpoint. NEC is at the top of the heap in quality AND Customer service. There are none better.Not one. At $279 a pop for these you should consider yourself lucky that a Cop does'nt show up at your house after "purchasing " these, they are that good of a deal. Show me a better display that is brand new, better quality from a company with better customer service(and a 3 year warranty!) at $279 and Ill eat your shorts.

Last edited:
I don't post much here but just bought 1 from the egg. I have an older Samsung 215TW now but only play COD4 and the like on occasion here. Getting too old for the fast paced stuff here. Any good settings for the monitor? I just wish the S or M-PVA monitors were closer to my budget.

Larry

No, you need an HDMI-DVI cable. DisplayPort to HDMI cables are for video card output only.

No, you need an HDMI-DVI cable. DisplayPort to HDMI cables are for video card output only.

Well I thought DisplayPort supported audio over the cable... but I'm not sure how these monitors handle it. If it'll actually get audio and send it through the internal speakers / headphone port... or just display video.

That and I don't know what ports a PS3 has, if he has an audio system or what he's planning on using. If the PS3's have a headphone jack he could take a 3.5mm cable between the headphone jack and the 3.5mm jack on the monitor itself, then send video over hdmi to DVI or hdmi to DP ?

Man, I'm torn between this monitor and Asus VW246H

Dunno what's to be torn about... Asus is a TN panel with no display-port and crappy stand... It does have HDMI and still has a 3yr warranty like the NEC...

I guess it's up to you, in my mind there's no better monitor for the price ($280-300) ...

Ok guys, I have decided to buy this monitor. Where is the best place to buy this monitor other then newegg? I do not like there dead pixel return policy.

Last edited:
Ok guys, I have decided to buy this monitor. Where is the best place to buy this monitor other then newegg? I do not like there dead pixel return policy.

Just get it from Newegg. They are great if you call them and talk to them. I bought 3 of these from them. Zero dead pixels. NEC makes excellent monitors, you dont really need to worry about that.

I'm thinking of buying this monitor from Amazon, but it says it could take 3-5 weeks to ship. Has it actually taken that long for anyone here? I hope not, because I'd like to have it this week.

I'm thinking of buying this monitor from Amazon, but it says it could take 3-5 weeks to ship. Has it actually taken that long for anyone here? I hope not, because I'd like to have it this week.
Buy it off newegg? They have it on sale right now too...

What the actual dimensions of this monitor? NewEgg's 21.7" x 13" x 2.8" seems...well, not right.

I'm most interested in maximum height and compressed height.

EDIT: I posted and then thought, hey dummy, GOOGLE it.

spacer.gif
21.7 x 14.9-19.3 x 8.7 in

Last edited:
Quick question. Does this monitor come with a Display port Cord?

Thanks,
Dashit

No it does not... I believe mine came with dvi, vga, audio, and power though... possibly USB for the USB hub as well

Yeah, the only thing missing is the DisplayPort cable. They aren't too expensive fortunately. I bought a couple for under $10 each for my Quadro card (since all it has is couple DisplayPort and nothing else).

Back