NEC 23" IPS EA231WMi

The sRGB mode is pretty accurate out of the box, at least on mine. I would really invest in a calibration device, though. It easily pays for itself over time, especially if you are serious about photography.

already have an eye one, what mode should i use now? :D

I just use one of the User modes and use my own RGB values according to what the calibration programs tell me is accurate. I think some people use Native and then let the program generate a profile based on whatever color temperature Native uses.

Does anyone know where to get this monitor for around $320? Bhphoto is sold out and amazon just jacked their price up to $370.

They raised it. When I posted that I looked and it was 319.99. I wonder why everyone is raising the price of these. Is there some sort of shortage?

I think there is a shortage because everywhere I have looked is $350 or above, or they are just sold out at a cheaper price. Hopefully it comes back cheaper because I need it to do some photo editing. All I use right now is my crappy Macbook pro screen.

The monitors are back in stock on newegg but the price is $359 now :( for anyone wanting to get one . I just talked to them, they will replace my current EA231WMI that has one stuck pixel, newegg rocks! :D

Just curious what settings people use on their NEC ea231wmis? I set it to 35 brightness and 50 contrast with Eco off for now. But I wondered if there was an optimal setting to get the best contrast and blacks, etc. without eyestrain.
Also does anyone seem to notice that the brightness setting appears to fluctuate by itself? Whats up with that?

The monitors are back in stock on newegg but the price is $359 now :( for anyone wanting to get one . I just talked to them, they will replace my current EA231WMI that has one stuck pixel, newegg rocks! :D

WTF, $360 better not be the new price. I was hoping for $300-$320

Well I might be selling my 3 NEC's soon.. not because they're not great monitors, just not a fan of Eyefinity and would rather have 1 big 2560x1440 or 1600 monitor (27-30")

is the warranty still valid if i buy it used?

Pretty sure they base it on date of manufacture, but I could be wrong... either way I'd work something out with you.

I just have to decide on what bigger monitor I'm going to buy, once I set that up and buy that, I can box up these 3 NEC's and start sellin them to get my money back.

Dell just released the U2311H that uses the same panel as the EA231wmi but only for $300. I am going to get the dell instead.

One difference I might care about is warranty, I think most of their standard monitors are only 1 yr where the NEC is 3...

Up to you though... you can get that Dell pretty cheap...

The Dell also has a 3 year warranty.

It's been bothering me for a while, but is 6500K supposed to look a bit warm/red?

Just curious what settings people use on their NEC ea231wmis? I set it to 35 brightness and 50 contrast with Eco off for now.
40 brightness and 50 contrast. Eco mode and auto brightness off, of course.

Also does anyone seem to notice that the brightness setting appears to fluctuate by itself? Whats up with that?
You have "Auto brightness" on. Turn it off.

Last edited:
You have "Auto brightness" on. Turn it off.

Thank you, that was very annoying how it kept changing my settings, LOL.

Why is it that everything I buy keeps getting MORE expensive rather than cheaper?

My DDR3 ram I got for $150. Now you can't find it under $250.
My 5970 I got for $599. Now you can't find it under $699.
My NECs I got for $300 are now $360??

I thought the point of technology was it was supposed to get better and CHEAPER, or at least over time it was supposed to get cheaper. *sigh*

iu agree-my 12gb were $140 when i bought them and now are $250 haha, its supply and demand I presume.

Ive got a 2 week old NEC EA231WMi that id be willing to part with for $245+shipping from Atlanta

comes with everything, its pretty much brand new.

But I just got a super nice deal on a u2410 so pretty much don't need this anymore please PM me if you're interested
still has 1,000 + days on the warranty

My sister uses Adobe and does a lot of work along those lines.

If she wanted to save a little money, instead of springing for a 24wuxi, how would she fare with this? What would she be giving up?

If anyone is interested in a used one of these (or more) .. especially if you're local in the Seattle area... lemme know...

I love the monitors, just too small to use as a single (for me atleast) and eyefinity just wasn't my thing.

Hi everyone,

Great post !

I also bought this great monitor last week but, as many of you, I have a green stuck pixel in the middle of the screen :-(

I've already tried a lot of sofware in order to remove it but without success.

I have tried to use the NEC warranty but this one does not apply in this case.
If we look at the datasheet of the monitor, there is no more an ISO 13406-2 specification but a new ISO 9241-307 (Pixel Failure Class I) specification. The bad news is that there is a Class 0...

For the ISO 9241-307 specification, you can take a look at this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9241#ISO-9241-302.2C_303.2C_305.2C_307:2008_pixel_defects

It is the last time I buy something in a real shop :( (I can not return it)

how to apply color profile for monitor in Windows 7?

i checked everything (added icc files to spool folder), tried to add trough video settings color management tab, but i can't see them in list

and when i choose profiles, i can't see changes... colors don't changes.

thank you.

My sister uses Adobe and does a lot of work along those lines.

If she wanted to save a little money, instead of springing for a 24wuxi, how would she fare with this? What would she be giving up?

If she's doing professional photo illustrationg she should go ahead and invest in either an NEC 2490Wuxi (she might be able to find it discounted?) or a new NEC PA241wP. These two monitors have access to professional LUTs for highest color accuracy, etc.
http://blogntech.com/new-nec-pa241w-24-inch-professional-lcd-monitor-launched.html

The 23" NEC is a great value monitor for consumers, but I don't think its featureset is aimed at the professional crowd.

Last edited:
If she's doing professional photo illustrationg she should go ahead and invest in either an NEC 2490Wuxi (she might be able to find it discounted?) or a new NEC PA241wP. These two monitors have access to professional LUTs for highest color accuracy, etc.
http://blogntech.com/new-nec-pa241w-24-inch-professional-lcd-monitor-launched.html

The 23" NEC is a great value monitor for consumers, but I don't think its featureset is aimed at the professional crowd.

Thanks for that clarification and break down. :)

I've already tried a lot of sofware in order to remove it but without success.
Have you tried the other way, "pressure method"? It's does not guarantee 100% success but you should try:

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Stuck-Pixel-on-an-LCD-Monitor

I have one stuck (red) pixel on the right side. I guess it doesn't bother me too much because I've owned the monitor almost 6 months but I have not tried other than one pixel fix program.

Have you tried the other way, "pressure method"? It's does not guarantee 100% success but you should try:

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Stuck-Pixel-on-an-LCD-Monitor

I have one stuck (red) pixel on the right side. I guess it doesn't bother me too much because I've owned the monitor almost 6 months but I have not tried other than one pixel fix program.
Be careful with any physical method like this. It's far too easy to cause more harm than good doing something like this.

Be careful with any physical method like this. It's far too easy to cause more harm than good doing something like this.

I've already try this method with no success, thank you. There is no issue for my problem I think. The worse is that the pixel is in the middle of the screen :-(

Hi guys,

I have my Nec ea231wmi connected via a vga output of the 8600m gt card in my notebook.
The image seems a bit blurry to me. Any one else some experience with the vga port of this display?

Hi guys,

I have my Nec ea231wmi connected via a vga output of the 8600m gt card in my notebook.
The image seems a bit blurry to me. Any one else some experience with the vga port of this display?

Try hitting the auto adjust button on the monitor, it should clear things up for you.

I tried that. Fidled with al the options of the screen. Nothing seems to help. Maybe this screen was not developped to work well with an analog input. I am going to test the screen with some other notebooks.

I tried that. Fiddled with all the options of the screen. Nothing seems to help. Maybe this screen was not developed to work well with an analog input. I am going to test the screen with some other notebooks.

If your screen is still blurry then you are not running at native resolution. Go to the screen resolution settings on your notebook and make sure you are sending 1920 x 1080 to the external screen.

The screen is running 1920x1080. I have the screen also connected to my P4 desktop with a 6800gt agp card over dvi. When i compare the two screens the analog one is just blurry. Especially the text. Maybe its the graphics card in the notebook.

Back