NEC EA231wmi 23" 1080p IPS LCD monitor $279 shipped...

This is an awesome deal. If I hadn't bought 3x2209wa panels, I'd be all over this!

Man, I so want/crave/need an IPS panel monitor for under 350, but NewEgg doesn't ship to Guam, and stores that do ship here start shipping at 100 dollars for monitors. =(

I think I might ship this to my folks in Texas and then ask them to mail it here. lol

3% Bing cashback for newegg, should be good for around another $8 or $9 off the coupon price, bringing the price closer to $270ish shipped after all of the discounts, not much but pretty good for those who get bit with sales tax.

To get 3% cashback for newegg go to Bing.com/Shopping and do a search for the EA231WMI-BK, then dig around for the newegg offer.

I JUST ordered 3 of these on MONDAY @ $309!!!! think I can get some scratch back?

Good luck on that one. Newegg csr doesn't seem very sympathetic for giving credit.

Good luck on that one. Newegg csr doesn't seem very sympathetic for giving credit.

Actually I've had pretty good luck getting them to match sale prices a couple of days after the purchase. Usually get a gift certificate for the difference in your case that's about $90. It doesn't hurt to send an e-mail and ask.

Actually I've had pretty good luck getting them to match sale prices a couple of days after the purchase. Usually get a gift certificate for the difference in your case that's about $90. It doesn't hurt to send an e-mail and ask.

Same, I've gotten Newegg credit twice now for price adjustments.

I've never really seen anybody say anything positive about this monitor, aside from it being a cheap IPS.

I've never really seen anybody say anything positive about this monitor, aside from it being a cheap IPS.

3yr warranty, IPS, fully adjustable stand, display-port...

There are a lot of positives about it, including the price...

Im guessing you are a Troll or a joke. Unless you are some Ultra picky a-hole, this monitor cannot be beat

I just ordered on a little over a week ago. I love the monitor. It even seems to have less motion blur than my old, cheap Hanns G TN panel. The stand is really great, too. It holds really steady, but is easy to adjust when needed. My old one wobbled more and was difficult to adjust.

Im guessing you are a Troll or a joke. Unless you are some Ultra picky a-hole, this monitor cannot be beat
we all tend to see what we want to see, and hear what we want to hear.

If you actively seek something negative, you're going to find it.

In for one for now. Wish it was 3 total and a new 5870, but I need to keep dreaming for something.

Except TFTCentral, Prad, many trusted posters on this board and a 60-page thread full of mostly positive user comments. You don't need to like it but what you said is just false.

I would be all over this but it has no hdmi :(

What do you need HDMI for.. the speakers on this thing suck... you can get an HDMI to displayport or HDMI to DVI if you only have HDMI output on whatever device you got.

Seriously, don't even consider using the speakers on this... I thought they'd be like shitty TV speakers, pretty mediocre but tolerable... They're about as bad as sticking ipod earbuds on a table and turning the volume up.

But the plus-side is you can just use the headphone port on the side of the monitor, so you can use it like an extension for your headphones if you normally just plugged them into the back of the computer. (And you only have headphones... if you have speakers this wouldn't really work...)

Except TFTCentral, Prad, many trusted posters on this board and a 60-page thread full of mostly positive user comments. You don't need to like it but what you said is just false.

no, it's not. Google the reviews for it. I just read the review in Maximum pc that gave it a mediocre 7 and highlighted the lack of hdmi and the slow response time. Don't take it personal.

no, it's not. Google the reviews for it. I just read the review in Maximum pc that gave it a mediocre 7 and highlighted the lack of hdmi and the slow response time. Don't take it personal.

The fact that they are rating a monitor by the types of inputs it has alone says a lot about the quality of the review in question.

Read all the pages in our displays thread and looks like a very promising monitor. Maybe it isn't for people that make money off of gaming, but for a casual gamer or someone that needs good color reproduction this looks good and for a reasonable price.

I still don't get the obsession with HDMI, unless you really want to use the really crappy speakers on the monitor who the hell cares. HDMI and DVI are pin compatible so all you have to do is get a HDMI to DVI cable from anywhere if you want to hook up your PS3 or XBOX 360. The colors will blow any TN monitor to shame. For PC usage, it's got the displayport. You know what that means.. no need for a $100 HDMI/DVI to Displayport adapter adapter for some eyefinity goodness.

Input lag is next to nothing so which I think is more important than response time in terms of FPS and I play BF2, MW2, CSS so speed would be important to me.

Personally Maximum PC has lost it's edge... it's reviews aren't up to the standards as most dedicated sites since they don't review as much equipment. Best place to look is on this forum since you're getting the gamut of the good and bad on the monitor from multiple systems and multiple POV's.

Since these have native Displayport, this is almost a no-brainer price for somebody looking at Eyefinity. The only sad part is the newegg return policy. I'd much rather get Dell's return policy.

I'm building an Eyefinity setup for a co-worker and I think I'll buy 3 of these for him.

I see two things wrong here, first that it was a maximum PC review, second was they knocked points off for not having hdmi. Even the slow "response time" aspect is questionable because overall input lag is usually what counts.

I think it's safe to say we can take that review with a chunk of salt, and that we should also refer to the other reviewers mentioned in this thread.

The difference is NEC listed the white-black response time... those 2ms response times are gray to gray. (light gray to a dark gray).

The white-black is a "true" response time, but manufacturers argue that the gray to gray is more accurate because most of the time your colors aren't changing that drastically.

Still, I game on mine and it can't be more than a frame of lag... I bought an LCD back in the day for ~$800 and tried UT2004 on it (Back when UT2004 just game out) and the ghosting was so bad I returned it that same day and went back to my 17" trinitron. But since then LCD's have drastically improved, I figure you'd only notice ghosting/lag on high-end professional monitors that are meant for color accuracy, not speed.

The difference is NEC listed the white-black response time... those 2ms response times are gray to gray. (light gray to a dark gray).

The white-black is a "true" response time, but manufacturers argue that the gray to gray is more accurate because most of the time your colors aren't changing that drastically.

Still, I game on mine and it can't be more than a frame of lag... I bought an LCD back in the day for ~$800 and tried UT2004 on it (Back when UT2004 just game out) and the ghosting was so bad I returned it that same day and went back to my 17" trinitron. But since then LCD's have drastically improved, I figure you'd only notice ghosting/lag on high-end professional monitors that are meant for color accuracy, not speed.

With this you get the best of both worlds. On tftcentral this is one of the most accurate monitors when calibrated. And if you check out the input lag on the same site... it's one of the fastest.

With this you get the best of both worlds. On tftcentral this is one of the most accurate monitors when calibrated. And if you check out the input lag on the same site... it's one of the fastest.

Yep and one of the fastest monitors they have listed was the first LCD I bought after moving from my CRT which was the VX922... Was pretty sweet for playing games too, but was 4:3 / pretty small compared to today's screens.

If this was a 24" 1920 x 1200 monitor it would be near perfect imo...

Yea, the only real negative point for this monitor that I can see is the stupid 1080p res and 16:9 aspect ratio instead of 1920x1200 @ 16:10.

Yep and one of the fastest monitors they have listed was the first LCD I bought after moving from my CRT which was the VX922... Was pretty sweet for playing games too, but was 4:3 / pretty small compared to today's screens.

If this was a 24" 1920 x 1200 monitor it would be near perfect imo...

You are seriously tempting me dude ;)
I have the cash, but I have a busted left hand and won't be gaming for at least 6 more weeks.

This is the best price on this LCD since its release in November. The Dell 2209wa panel has gone back up to $300 and the dell reps haven't been giving the $212 discount for over a month.

Higher resolution, native displayport, ips. Why are you trying to make excuses? No MIR. Best price I think you'll ever see on a 1080p ips panel.

Last edited:
I like this LCD.

2010-01-02%2022.40.51.jpg

Please forgive the phone photo.

Back