Need full height, half length, single slot card

Atamido

n00b
I need a graphics card that will fit into a relatively tight space. It can be full height, but the length is pretty short. It also can't take two slots, and I need it to run two DVI ports. The power supply doesn't have a graphics card power adapter, but I think I can get a sata power to PCIe power adapter like this to work. Also, I probably won't be able to convince my wife to go for a $200 option, but I could probably swing something just below that.

I'm looking to get a new video card to fit into a Dell Optiplex 980 that I get to borrow from work for as long as I want. I'm happy to use it as my other system is many years old now and on its last legs. Unfortunately, whoever designed the inside of this thing clearly hates gamers. There are two PCIe slots, but the one with lots of room is only 4x. The 16x slot is limited by the CPU heat sink, and I don't own it so I can't do too much. It currently has a Radeon HD 3450 in there that looks like this.

Just noticed both our solutions suck...mine doesnt work cause it only has a single DVI and Tastethecourage doesnt work cause its a double slot design...[H] Fail, lol. Though you could possibly run the Radeon I linked with a miniDP-DVI adapter or miniHDMI-DVI/HDMI adapter.

I thought no one had replied, but it turned out the emails were just going to some random account.

So, the AMD HD 7750 will be able to putter along through video games at an okay resolution? I'm okay with an HDMI/DVI adapter to get 2x DVI. (I loaded something up yesterday, and the 3450 seemed to do okay in the menus at 640x480...) I should also mention that there is room for the heatsink to stick out like for a second slot, just not enough room at the back of the case for a two slot card.

The reason I didn't use the Newegg search feature is because they don't filter on what I need. I don't want/need low profile as that is a half height card. My card can be full height, it just can't be full length. (Also, for some types of things it will leave out the correct options when using the filters.)

Also, I've been out of the graphics card market for several years now and I have no idea what options are better than others, and I figured some extremely knowledgeable folks could point to some quick options.

Ok, did some snooping around and, while I don't know a whole lot about the lower end of the spectrum, it looks like these two are gonna be your best bet for single slot designs. According to a pair of reviews, one from AnandTech and the other Tom's Hardware (pretty good sources) the 650 is a better card. The only thing you need to worry about is that it appears the heatsinks do stick out a bit from the single slot design so youll have to see if you can fit them or not. Good news is that both cards have full size HDMI connections so you may not need any adapters...or hell, they may even come with HDMI-DVI adapters.

Single Slot Radeon 7770 Ghz Edition

Single Slot GTX650

If you have the ability, you should link a pic of the inside of your case, see if we can help a little better knowing what you know.

The 7770 might fit, but it's hard to tell. That GTX 650 definitely won't fit. It looks like the GTX 650 Ti reference design might have, but nobody seems to make that.

Here's the clearance on the card/CPU heatsink:

9MPBDoC.jpg

f2CH8TK.jpg

hmm....Looks like you have a length issue as well...I suggest finding a short card and watercooling it lol....the waterblock should keep it slim, lol.

hmm....Looks like you have a length issue as well...I suggest finding a short card and watercooling it lol....the waterblock should keep it slim, lol.

If he can't fit a video card in his case, theres no way hes going to be able to fit tubing, a rad, pump and res.

If he can't fit a video card in his case, theres no way hes going to be able to fit tubing, a rad, pump and res.

pop that second PCI cover off and route the tubing out of the case and he has infinite room, lol.

Take a ruler, measure out the max length you can fit, and we'll help you a lot better.

The newer 6x0 cards are ridiculously short, especially if you get the 650 Ti. Unfortunately I'm having a harder time finding a single slot version than I thought.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130841

It's 6 inches long!

They also make smaller 7750s...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161403 7"
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202002 7"

If you can find a way to fit that 650Ti, it is well worth it. The 7750 is OK for gaming, it will play most games fine at 1080p at medium or low settings.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU12/372

Back