need help making my room more sound proof

mark660

Limp Gawd
well i went out side yesterday while i had my stereo on farly loud and it is way to loud out there roof shakin like shit the neighbours must hate it but i listen to my stereo alot so im lookin for some ideas on how to make it not as loud out there oveasly cant help the shaking but i was thinking somthing to put over my window that would stop ALOT of noise any ideas wat i can use???

headphones!
but seriously if your neighbors can hear it, they also cannot read, study, etc
so chances are good you are being inconsiderate.

If anything is shaking, you wont stop that unless you turn the volume down.
Sounds like you need to get a detached house.

when u spend over $4k on a stereo u play it loud!!!
thanks empty quarter for the link but no way id ever go to headphones or play my stereo at low volumes. when im havin a listen soon as i hear it i have to turn it up:D

reinforce your walls with concrete to weigh them down so they vibrate less
but seriously
move into a detached house (if you dont already)
get double glazing windows

and most importantly pick the times you want to play loud

A house not attached to another structure.

You can go to Home Depot and buy some of their carpet. It looks like thick corduroy. Hang it behind and on the wall the speakers are facing and layer it on your window. Pretty cheap and really works well.

To soundproof a room correctly you need to create hermetically sealed air space so you would have to put up hermetically sealed false walls with about 4" - 6" of air between your real walls. Have fun!

And if things are rattling and shaking it is because you have your sub volume set too high. Sub should sound transparent to the system and not make the walls shake. I have a friend who likes to set his sub too high and he blew it twice for that reason.

Yep. You want a "room within a room" and use 2x6s not 2x4s and fully insulate it. You can also get special sound-proofing plywood and drywall. You can use two sheets of drywall (regular or sound-proof) with a special glue called "green glue" between them.

Do you live in a house??? Or a building with other tenants???

If it's your house you can add materials to soundproof, if it's a multifamily dwelling, you are SOOL and will need headphones, or face some big angry gentleman's fists.

To soundproof a room correctly you need to create hermetically sealed air space so you would have to put up hermetically sealed false walls with about 4" - 6" of air between your real walls. Have fun!

And if things are rattling and shaking it is because you have your sub volume set too high. Sub should sound transparent to the system and not make the walls shake. I have a friend who likes to set his sub too high and he blew it twice for that reason.

i dont have subs the sytem sounds beutiful but when u have big floorstands and 200watts a channel in ur bed room things shake!

and yes i do live in a seperate house form my neighbour but im only 16 and live with my dad so i dont want the neighbours to hate him coz of me

How far away is the next house?
Have you asked them if its a problem because I can make my ears bleed indoors but 4 metres from the house and its not loud at all.

If it is too loud, good soundproofing should do the trick, you may need double glazing too.
Its easy enough to find if you've done enough, ask them if you can stand in their garden while you blast music and see how loud it is.
I'm sure they'll be happy to help.

well the next door neighbours house isnt to close but i think reson its so loud out there is my window aims right at there house but has a fence in between my house and theres so might have to try standing in there backyard ahhaha

this is the wall that i amm trying to cover only pick i could find
f_P50300152m_d389743.jpg

well the next door neighbours house isnt to close but i think reson its so loud out there is my window aims right at there house but has a fence in between my house and theres so might have to try standing in there backyard ahhaha

Do that test pls, you'll be surprised at how quiet the sound is.

To help you make the correct decision, you might want to purchase a sound meter.
Search froogle or any shopping channel for...
sound level meter

i dont have subs the sytem sounds beutiful but when u have big floorstands and 200watts a channel in ur bed room things shake!

and yes i do live in a seperate house form my neighbour but im only 16 and live with my dad so i dont want the neighbours to hate him coz of me

OK. But why do you need so much in your bedroom? Good quality smaller speakers and low powered high quality amp would be the way I would go for a bedroom.

Cos he likes the sound level and bass would be my guess :D

Well... What are you prepared to do? Are you willing to gut your room and re-panel properly to insulate the sound? Or are you only hoping to buy some foam for the walls? What are you willing spend? Is this even your house or are you renting?

There may not even be a problem, he is hopefully going to stand in his neighbors yard and see how loud it really is.

Well... What are you prepared to do? Are you willing to gut your room and re-panel properly to insulate the sound? Or are you only hoping to buy some foam for the walls? What are you willing spend? Is this even your house or are you renting?

i was thinking more along the lines off some foam that would dampen the sound a bit i cant really re panel walls as this is my dads house.

im going to have a listen in my neighbours yard before i make any desions

mark660 said:
i was thinking more along the lines off some foam that would dampen the sound a bit i cant really re panel walls as this is my dads house.

The problem's the window. All the foam in the world on the rest of the walls won't fix the window unless you stick foam on a panel and put it in front of the window, therefore rendering it *not a window*.

The two practical solutions are:
a) Turn down the volume
b) Use headphones

All the rest require modifications to the house. If you want to start with the house mods, the first thing to do is to put in a double pane window. If you can afford a $4000 system, you can afford a couple of hundred dollars plus labor for a double pane window. If that's not enough, THEN try other measures.

The side benefit of double pane windows are that they'll keep you room cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

Bad relations with your dad's neighbor(s) can make your and his life miserable for a LONG time.

Back