need help modding a Sunbeam Rheobus + Lian Li faceplate

rfadream

Limp Gawd
i recently bought a sunbeam rheobus fan controller and a Lian Li PC-A05b case.

i really want to keep the clean minimal looking front of the case, so i decided to switch
the original faceplate of the rheobus with one of the stock Lian Li aluminum bay covers.

has anyone done this mod before? i'd really appreciate some guide or pictures on how to
do this mod. sort of lost as to where to start atm.

i will be purchasing a dremel + jigsaw in a few days so i can cut out a window + blowhole ont his case.

Subscribed! I have a Sunbeam Rheobus that I haven't installed yet 'cause I'm gonna solder some resistors to the LEDs. Please get a worklog going if you swap faceplates! Would love to see how it looks, and it might inspire me to try if it's not too hard (sounds hard though).

ya i know i saw those but a $26 premium? no thanks.

if they had also modded the lights to be way dimmer instead of leaving them at stock maybe they'd be worth it.

hey GJS i'll definitely do that. i haven't received my A05b case from newegg yet, only have the sunbeam rheobus right now. so i cant really say what the stock aluminum bezel from the case looks like.

hey GJS u also have an A05b right? i remember seeing your rig in the A05b thread.

can you do me a favor and take a few pictures of the A05b's stock front drive bezels/covers?

a few different angles but mostly i want to see what the sides look like, how they attach to the faceplate and how it attaches to the case.

right now i'm thinking just cut the faceplate off the rheobus with a dremel.
drill a few holes on the A05b faceplate sides, drill a few holes to match up on the sides of the original rheobus sides.
and bolt the new front to the old sides.
of course ill also have to makes holes for the knobs and lights on the front but thats a given and easy.
the only part of the mod i'm not sure about is how to attach the new bezel to the rest of the rheobus.

Try soaking the cover plate in some acetone nail polish remover then scrape off the paint, looks simlar to the lian cover its hard to tell the diff well at least on mine and my v1200.

really? nick can you post a picture of your sunbeam rheobus? i've seen some pictures and i always thought the black didn't match and stuck out.

wait, you want to take a regular lian li face plate, drill 8 holes in it? Like the one I did?

fancontrollerfront.jpg

Here's a tip... Take your Lian faceplate, and your sunbeam faceplate... Put them together so the 2 faces are touching. Clamp them, and drill through the lian faceplate, using the holes in the sunbeam one as a guide ;).

And, uhm, the faceplate just pops off... Pull off the knobs, and unscrew the nuts...

And, uhm, the faceplate just pops off... Pull off the knobs, and unscrew the nuts...

wait but isnt the side of the sunbeam rheobus connected to the faceplate?

after u put on the new faceplate on how do you mount the rheobus into the case without those side rails? does the lian li faceplate have sides that extend like the rheobus?

btw what your picture is showing is exactly what i want.
arcygenical can you post some pictures of how your modded rheobus looks from the side and the bottom? Thanks

From what he described, it sounds like the nuts from the knobs keep the base attached to the faceplate.

ooh u mean those hex shaped nuts that are behind the knobs. nice

wow this mod sounds like its going to be much easier than i'd expected.

Ya, especially with his tip above. I might try this, if I decide I need a fan controller in my new build.

Cool mod. I was thinking of picking on these fan controllers pretty soon so I might have to attempt this mod as well. It would definitely get the controller to mesh better with my Lian Li.

It would be pretty sweet if performancspc's actually did some real modding with those things.

For example: If those knobs were normally recessed, and then if you pressed them they would pop-up. That way the classy look of the LL case is left intact.

Back