Need input from both Horde and Commandos regarding future of projects

I have to agree with musky. I'm running BOINC when I can but it's not fun like F@H once was. BOINC is just a big clusterf@@k. Still not going to ever fold for PG again. The love is lost.

I can see how ts not as fun. Too many projects, not enough true inter or intra-team competition. I like the astrophysics stuff, others the mathematics and still others the biological. Too much disparity. Challenges are dispersed among a lot of projects, making it difficult to track and not nearly as much fun.

I just hope the passion isn't lost and we can get good participation when we can. I'm sure we can find incentives and reasons to make it fun again. It'll take time. But we're [H]ard.

Lol

That has to be the biggest car stereo in history, because in reality since 7/31/2013 until yesterday you have made a total of 2 post on 4/18/2014 at least according to your user history. So it took slightly over a year to do that job. Wow can it bounce the car off the street. :D
It cost $1600 just in DynaMat. The alternator,suspesion, intake and exhost was over $5k and then there is a few $k in cables,power distribution and 5 battaries (6 runs of 1/0 front to back)(all speaker and RCA runs are MonsterCable XLN 402 with true subwoofer RCA and speaker cables for <80Hz, and all video cables are the MonsterCable 300 series car video cables. Last tally on all Pioneer Premier PRS old school components,speakers and subs and AudioControl oldschool active crossovers >$15K plus cost of mdf,carpet,paint and adhesives as well as a maxed out Lowes card for tools.
Almost forgot about the cost of pneumatic arms for automated trunk and amp rack drawers and lots and lots dumped into security+WiFi video servalence and auto self aware+control units.
We upgraded all lighting to LED and true HID conversions.
Where conservatively hoping to hit >155db and place extremely well in SQ.
I installed extra Pioneer Premier parts in my wife's van which is pretty much done and have been collecting key Pioneer Premier/Stage 4 parts for my son's future vehicle.

I'll be popping in once and awhile the next few days sporadically since I'm busy doing silver electroplating on terminals and other connections.

Last edited:
It cost $1600 just in DynaMat. The alternator,suspesion, intake and exhost was over $5k and then there is a few $k in cables,power distribution and 5 battaries (6 runs of 1/0 front to back)(all speaker and RCA runs are MonsterCable XLN 402 with true subwoofer RCA and speaker cables for <80Hz, and all video cables are the MonsterCable 300 series car video cables. Last tally on all Pioneer Premier PRS old school components,speakers and subs and AudioControl oldschool active crossovers >$15K plus cost of mdf,carpet,paint and adhesives as well as a maxed out Lowes card for tools.
Almost forgot about the cost of pneumatic arms for automated trunk and amp rack drawers and lots and lots dumped into security+WiFi video servalence and auto self aware+control units.
We upgraded all lighting to LED and true HID conversions.
Where conservatively hoping to hit >155db and place extremely well in SQ.
I installed extra Pioneer Premier parts in my wife's van which is pretty much done and have been collecting key Pioneer Premier/Stage 4 parts for my son's future vehicle.

I'll be popping in once and awhile the next few days sporadically since I'm busy doing silver electroplating on terminals and other connections.

Pics? Sounds awesome. (no pun intended :D)

Bman212121, I saw the links weren't there. I think he copy pasted and it didn't copy the linking properly. I have alread asked him to fix the links. As far as some of the additional info, would it not be easier to point them to the very first post in the BOINC thread that has links and a mass majority of the additional info. It just seems like kicking a dead horse. I don't mind adding it again because it may help people find the info, but it really does seem like showing them more than the basic setup in a simple setup for newbs guide. Thoughts?

Yea I figured that would come up. I was thinking the same thing about what kind of balance to strike as well. I think that having the link directly to the boinc client is good, and having the "sudo apt-get install boinc" line is good as well because it lets anyone at a glance know what the package they need to download is. If that doesn't make sense then the full guides will certainly help.

I'm actually thinking of the guide on that page to be intermediate to advanced users, so they can quickly find what they need at a glance. I would think that for a beginner they are going to need to click on the step by step links with the pretty pictures. The main thing is trying to provide plenty of information in a short format. (As you will probably have a large range of people looking at that thread to find what they need)

Yes I do see the first post in BOINC. That has a lot of that info that I was looking for! There certainly should be a link to there because that is not a stickied thread so someone would have to try to go out and find it.

I still think that having the link to the all inclusive DC guide, and something that links directly to info about team names and says a little blurb along the lines of make sure you refer to this guide to put the right name in correctly. It does seem like the information would probably be redundant from info found in other places, but it helps all users find that information quicker by having direct links. Obviously you don't want to get it too overwhelmed but half a dozen links that get you right to the most pertinent info that could really affect someone trying to setup BOINC correctly.

I'm thinking of several different scenarios for that page. Someone who knows computers fairly well and running windows/MAC could follow the directions easy enough and it's useful to just link a link so they don't have to find the client. There might also be someone who is very familiar with Linux and just needs to know what the name of the page is to search for. Then you might have another user who already has BOINC up and running, and would like to DC for [H]. They are going to look at the steps, see the team name of HardOCP and just assume that's what they can use for all projects. Then someone else who isn't new to computer but is very new to Linux might want to set it up in a VM. Having the link to the step by step directions would be the most useful for them. There is also someone who might want to explore more projects after they start DCing. If they used the guide they will know to go back to it and find the info about the other projects, what team name to use, etc as it's all right there. They might be able to find that info if they search the DC guides folder, but maybe they didn't know about the team names because they didn't happen to see that thread. Having all of it in one location that people can revert back to no matter what level they are is probably the most useful IMO.

Last edited:
Not sure how to solve this, but here was my experience yesterday and today.

On IRC I heard about Moo and got a little interested.

- First I tried my 5850. Failed half the work and wasn't even getting the correct points for the ones it completed correctly. Looking back on it now, drivers were probably too new. 5850 back to Milkyway.

- Then I tried the same on my 7870/7790 (pulled them off F@h). Wouldn't get work. I guess the cards and drivers were too new.

- Then I looked up Collatz. Of course it is down.

- Then I tried Poem. And of course they had run out of work.

At this point I had wasted an hour getting this setup. I know I could get Einstein going with a little tweaking, but I was annoyed by the mess so the cards went back to F@h.

Again, I don't know how to fix this. I guess it is really unfixable, though perhaps there are ways to make it less painful. It will be a stumbling block for those coming from F@h as the lack of communication from the projects, unreliable servers, and limited work will not be expected.

Einstein is actually one of the most stable projects out there. Not only does it have great communication and steady work, but they work hard at updating apps frequently. All you have to do is attach to Einstein and it'll run on any card you have very easily. No tweaking needed.

Again, I don't know how to fix this. I guess it is really unfixable, though perhaps there are ways to make it less painful. It will be a stumbling block for those coming from F@h as the lack of communication from the projects, unreliable servers, and limited work will not be expected.

Yea that's kind of been my experience as well. That's why I was pushing hard to suggest a project that is known to work well, is stable, and has lots of work and support.

I'm using a fairly old driver dated 12/6/13. I think it might actually be a WHQL driver from MS when I upgraded to 8.1. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if drivers from either side had issues so it might be a driver issue. My card is a reference so it's possible that that particular WU could show stability problems on OC'ed cards that might not normally show up. (Even if it's factory OC'ed)

I had a very similar experience with F@H and my NVidia card. The wrong driver caused the machine to reboot without any BSODs and just lock up and make it look like the card was toast. Found another driver and the card works flawlessly on it.

I think I'm going to look at GPUGRID for my NVidia card and see what kind of points it gives. For the ATI card it looks like Moo!, Primegrid, Einstein, and Milkyway are probably some of the better bets to try. The last 3 are all projects that automatically work with Vault and Formula BOINC, and there is room to gain positions in all of the projects to help with standings.

I'm still not 100% sure how to read these but it looks like they all have work as well.

Primegrid: http://www.primegrid.com/server_status.php

Milkyway@home: http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/server_status.php

Einstein: http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/server_status.html

Last edited:
Not sure how to solve this, but here was my experience yesterday and today.

On IRC I heard about Moo and got a little interested.

- First I tried my 5850. Failed half the work and wasn't even getting the correct points for the ones it completed correctly. Looking back on it now, drivers were probably too new. 5850 back to Milkyway.

- Then I tried the same on my 7870/7790 (pulled them off F@h). Wouldn't get work. I guess the cards and drivers were too new.

- Then I looked up Collatz. Of course it is down.

- Then I tried Poem. And of course they had run out of work.

At this point I had wasted an hour getting this setup. I know I could get Einstein going with a little tweaking, but I was annoyed by the mess so the cards went back to F@h.

EXT64, for your 7870/7790, you may want to try using this http://www.bc-team.org/downloads.php?view=detail&df_id=80 I found it while in the Moo! forums a while back but don't remember where I posted it exactly. However, that is what I had to use to get the 7970 working. Let me know if you need help with the files.

Moo! thread: http://moowrap.net/forum_thread.php?id=200&sort_style=6&start=75

The 5.0 update looks a lot better! I really think that having all of the new links and updates will really help someone find all of the info for setting up their pcs really useful. It doesn't matter if you are brand new to DCing or have been around for a while, if you can't remember where a thread is chances are if you poke around there you'll be able to find it now. Great job guys! :cool:

I've always been in FAH for the science. I have family members that have succumbed to the diseases that PG are researching. I have no medical training but I am a top notch geek and contribution via DC is right up my alley. I came to [H] to learn the way of the 4P, which I have done; the result has been dedicated to the [H]orde ever since. I did some cheerleading for [H] in the push to Defeat Default first, and we did. I do open and closed beta testing of FAH software because I want users to get the best possible results from their hardware and the least amount of hassle from the software. I also beta test HFM because I think it adds value to the community and I really like what it brings to the table.

Musky makes a lot of valid points for a formerly hard core segment of the [H]orde. We optimised to do one thing very, very well and globally dominated the marketspace. That's where the camaraderie got built up for this group within the [H]orde.

I want that back.

I want to feel the need to upgrade and tweak where there is no logical reason to do so. But, I also need it to be in an area of medical research that I can get behind, Alzheimers and Parkinsons are my priorities. Give me those and I'll be there with bells on. I'll bear no grudge to those that don't or won't fold anymore, many thanks for your contribution and I salute you, however, until then, I'll keep folding.

Rh, you sure summed up what made Folding "special" in the past for so many of us! It was well said and brought back so many memories. :cool:

Lots of Folders (many on other teams) extended our Folding prowess because of what HardOCP learned, invented and shared. There are some bits of all that franken-computing stuff that can be done with Crunching, but nothing that equals the depth of what could be accomplished via tweaking software, BIOS and hardware for Folding. That was truly unique, stimulating, challenging and one reason that the planned ending of the Bigadv program had such an impact on power-Folders.

I too would love to see it return in a way that we could all re-embrace Folding and have the kind of enjoyment that drove so many of us to DC-geek-dom. :D

Back