Need recommendations for a new case

xBanzai89

Supreme [H]ardness
I currently have a Lian Li PC-V350. All I can say is after having this for a few years I NEED MORE SPACE. I've been taking it apart a lot recently and it is cramped making it hard to reassemble everything. I want to overclock my AMD 955 BE C3, but the thermals in this sucker are not good at all. I need a new case to let me do this. I have been eying the PC-P50R, but I am betting there is better cases out there for the same cost. What I really want is a case that will fit a CPU cooler the size of the TRUE 120 and have good thermals for a 5770 crossfire or 5870 (depends on what I want to do this summer). I am up for either a mid size tower or full tower. My budget is 250 dollars tops and that includes shipping/tax (live in MA).

Depends what you want? wanna stick with lian-li or do you not mind others?

HAF 922/932 are cheap alternatives that are gigantic
Obsidian 800D is another popular one..

I would like to stay with Lian Li, but there bigger cases start to get pretty expensive and I do not think the thermals may be as good compared to other full sized cases. Just by looking at the intakes that is anyway.

I was looking at the Silverstone cases for awhile like th TJ-02 and Raven 02. Both look like good cases.

I'll check out the 922/932. I don't know what they really offer is all.

Isn't the Obsidian more of a water cooling case? I was under the impression the thermals weren't the best for air cooling. Please correct me if I'm wrong of course.

Isn't the Obsidian more of a water cooling case? I was under the impression the thermals weren't the best for air cooling. Please correct me if I'm wrong of course.

That's a popular conception, but it really depends on the hardware and the configuration.

For 5770 Crossfire or a single 5870, the 800D is more than enough and will remain quiet, as well.

It's very competitive as an air-cooling case. My 5870 is air cooled, and I've never had a problem at all.

I would like to stay with Lian Li, but there bigger cases start to get pretty expensive and I do not think the thermals may be as good compared to other full sized cases. Just by looking at the intakes that is anyway.

How large a case are you looking to upgrade to? I have one of the original V2000B's with the rATX mobo, and while I love it and would never trade it, I still sometimes wish I'd bought something smaller. So really weigh out your options on this one.... :)

I was looking at the Silverstone cases for awhile like the TJ-02 and Raven 02. Both look like good cases.

The Raven 2 looks pretty awesome, odd board orientations are always interesting to mess with... If not a Lian Li, then my vote is the Raven 2. :D

That's a popular conception, but it really depends on the hardware and the configuration.

For 5770 Crossfire or a single 5870, the 800D is more than enough and will remain quiet, as well.

It's very competitive as an air-cooling case. My 5870 is air cooled, and I've never had a problem at all.

I just watched a review of the case. It is MASSIVE, maybe to big what I am looking for. Really nice cable management and cooling though.

How large a case are you looking to upgrade to? I have one of the original V2000B's with the rATX mobo, and while I love it and would never trade it, I still sometimes wish I'd bought something smaller. So really weigh out your options on this one.... :)

The Raven 2 looks pretty awesome, odd board orientations are always interesting to mess with... If not a Lian Li, then my vote is the Raven 2. :D

At most your normal size Full Tower. I almost bought a Raven 01/02 last year, but didn't get to it. I was reading it up again and found out there their bringing out a 03 in June, so if I really want that probably should wait for the newer edition or pick a older one on sale.

I see a lot of people pointing at expensive cases, there are some great lower cost cases as well.

If you want a mid-tower I would look at the Nine Hundred Two or a Thermal Take Element series. A full tower the Twelve Hundred is a GREAT case with awesome airflow and much quieter than you would think. I just did a Spedo build and while it has a few quirks it is a great case as well.

BTW any of the above cases will easily handle the thermals you are discussing.

I just watched a review of the case. It is MASSIVE, maybe to big what I am looking for. Really nice cable management and cooling though.

Thanks. A lot of the complaints have been about the size, so we definitely hear you on that front.

Best of luck in your search, the Lian-Li P50 you mentioned earlier is very nice.

Cooler Master Sniper all the way...or the HAF

I love my Sniper.

I don't like the looks of the 932 at all.

Maybe ATCS 840? Or one of the older Lian Li full towers.

Could possibly get a 700D from amazon with free shipping for $249.00

The 800D is $274 with free shipping also.

I have a Lian-Li B25 mid tower. Looks very nice with the flat black aluminum. Easy to work with and good quality. It's rather understated compared to the P50 you are also looking at, though.

Thank for you the suggestions everyone. I am starting to narrow my selection down to the PC-P50, FT02-B, and the RV02.

I forced myself to drop the AMD edition of the PC-P50, I do not think the 50 dollar cosmetic look it worth it anymore. The FT02 looks like a great case. Basically a upgraded RV02, but I prefer it since it doesn't have plastic on it. Like it due to it basically being a lower version of the FT02, but the plastic turns me off.

My main concern with the PC-P50 is the space alloted in it. While I do like Lian LI cases the first one I had does have similar dimensions, and I found it crampt. I was limited with the higher end air coolers I could put in as well. Anyone have any thoughts on this.

First I have never seen a case worth $200 or more. Of the three you listed the P50 and the RV02 both look like great choices. The FT02-B is just to much.

First I have never seen a case worth $200 or more. Of the three you listed the P50 and the RV02 both look like great choices. The FT02-B is just to much.

I agree. I am probably order the RV02 when I'm done with finals early next week. FT02 only attracted me for a few reasons, not enough to make me pay for it though.

My main concern with the PC-P50 is the space alloted in it. While I do like Lian LI cases the first one I had does have similar dimensions, and I found it crampt.
It's mid-tower and those have never been really spacious.

PC-A70/71 E-ATX full tower is for space:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112243
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112244
Long graphics cards look almost short in them:
http://www.pc-experience.de/Bilder-Reviews/Lian44/lian.32.jpg
(footprint of case is same as that of fair mid tower insides RV02)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back