need some advice

diarh34

Weaksauce
So I have some nice hd595 headphones I've had for a year or so.I love them so much but I feel like I could get some better sound out of them.I'm thinking I should invest in a headphone amp but I dont really know much about what to look for.What do you guys suggest I get?

If it makes a difference,I use em with my alienware laptop now with onboard sound.Before that was my old Audigy 2 zs

Would like to see something in a decent price range since I just dropped so much on my laptop :p

Senn 485, 555, 595 and all of their headsets do not benefit from amplification. Waste of $$ in this case. You should get a better sound card, headphone or a receiver instead.

Senn 485, 555, 595 and all of their headsets do not benefit from amplification. Waste of $$ in this case. You should get a better sound card, headphone or a receiver instead.
How can you say such a thing. Of course the 595s will benefit from better amping. My 595's sounded much better with my portaphile max then my old receiver. Even my 5 ohm 48's benefit from better amping. DAP Vs receiver. No question.

I dunno I was looking at the price of amps,like the ones people are getting off ebay in the mint cans.Dont really wanna go over 100 bucks

Amps...you can go from CMoys at $20-30...up to however much you want to throw at improving the circuit. Portables necessarily are more limited than even cheap desktop amps (well, battery power makes some things easier...but it's limited). It's nothing against the quality of a CMoy circuit...it's just optimized to be cheap, and there are lots of things that can be improved on a larger budget.

I haven't tested them, but the HF buyer's guide sticky does note that 595s are "amp recommended." I think the 555 depends on whether you have the high impedance version or not.

So, does it need to be portable?

Random cheat...take 'em with you to a store with receivers etc. Test it on those to see if you notice an improvement. Be careful...things like volume etc can easily color the results.

I dont guess it has to be portable,what kind of stores sell receivers that would be good for what I'm looking for?

Sorry if these are stupid questions,But I wanna learn more about this stuff cause I've never really messed with audio much.But I appreciate the outcomes (good sound) so I'm trying to learn heh

Bubba, did you not see that I recommended the Total Bithead?

You are right though. Time has eroded my memory a bit. The 595s DO come alive with amping. It is the cans below them which don't. I had a maxxed I forget the specific amp and a modded ps audio superdac II that sounded really good with the 595s.

Funny thing is they sounded really good out of a PSP of all things. lol

OP, that Total Bithead is no slouch, portable, tough and sounds good. You can try that or the ebay sold Zero dac/amp for about $150. Either will improve things significantly.

Back