Need Some Help, New Build Having Problems

Finneal

n00b
All,

Well, I got my last couple parts in yesterday from Monarch and was able to build my new PC last night. It consists of:

DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra-D Mobo
2 x 1GB OCZ Platinum RAM
AMD Opteron 170 Retail CPU
BFG 7800GTOC Video Card
Enermax 500W Liberty PSU
SB X-Fi Xtrememusic Sound Card
NEC 3550A DVD Burner
WD Raptor 74 GB HDD
Dell 20.1" LCD Monitor

So in put everything in my Lian Li last night and everything seemed to work just fine. I installed Windows and then installed the latest NF4 chipset drivers. After that I did Windows Updates until all the recommended ones were done. Then I installed the latest sound driver and after restart, the computer blue screened. After reboot it seemed to come up OK, but there was hesitation when it played the opening Windows jingle. After another reboot, the hesitation was gone and everything appeared to be working OK. So I installed the latest video driver and rebooted. Now my computer comes up OK, but as soon as I start to do anything (My Computer, IE, etc.) the screen will go blank for a few secs. and then come back for a few secs, then go blank again, etc, etc. During this ordeal, the computer runs very sluggish and I can't really do anything without making the screen go blank.

I had to give up last night because it was getting late, but I was hoping to get some [H]ard advice to give me some more things to try. Monarch was supposed to put the latest mobo BIOS on as part of their combo testing, but I'm going to make sure the BIOS is up-to-date first. Second, I plan removing the Sound Card and seeing if that clears anything up. I have read lots of posts with people having problems using the X-Fis and NF4 chipsets.

Does anyone else have any other ideas?

Your help is sincerely appreciated,

Charles III

update the BIOS yourself. Uninstall the sound drivers, try another one.

1. Uninstall audio drivers. If the problem goes away try to get newer drivers if available. If the problem does not go away then I would try different memory sticks.

2. Check that you have the latest mobo drivers.

I have 3 systems in my house with XFi card and NF4 mobo's, I have no issues.

Back