Need some help with cold boot problem

SoulCreatr

Limp Gawd
So I built my current rig (in my sig) in the first week the x99 came out. Everything was great on the system until the last week or so when it has begun to have problems on cold boot.

When I first turn the system on all the lights come on and the fans spin but I will not get any video output. The LED light above the GPU stays on during this time indicating that there is an issue with the GPU. I have 2 monitors connected AOC 29" by HDMI and an HP 20" connected by DVI. No other LEDs are on, and I have run the memory test which comes back ok. The keyboard and mouse will both light up and the HDD can be heard spinning up like it is loading into windows. If I press the power button it will take a few seconds to turn off like it would if I was in Windows instead of instant off.

After I see this occur I can hit the reset switch or turn it off and try again. Eventually something sorts itself out and I will get video and everything works 100% as it should. I have no other symptoms and I have had this problem while overclocked and at stock clocks. The GPU is not new and I used it in my previous build for about 7 months, I have tested it again in my old system and it works. During all this the diagnostic LED readout on the motherboard just says AA which it says even when it's working correctly. Once I get the system to boot correctly I can reset it or turn the power off and back on without issue. However, after it has been off for a few hours it will have the cold boot issue again.

My hunch is that it is the PSU, but I wanted some other input before I go pull it for an RMA. Maybe a setting in Windows 8.1 that I am not familiar with? Any other ideas?

I've had this happen in the past due to motherboard problems as well as power supply problems.

Hopefully in your case it is not the motherboard since you have an ASUS board.

The first thing I would try is to disconnect everything possible to see if it makes a difference.

Looks like the only things you could really disconnect are the NAS and BDR.

Also disconnect all USB devices besides the mouse and keyboard.

If you still have issues, then disconnect the keyboard and mouse as well. Flakey usb devices can cause issues like this as well. I had the same type of thing happen about 10 years ago when the controller on my keyboard went bad.

I will give that a try after it has been off for a few hours. I hope it is not the motherboard either and that is my only fear with this all. The issue seems to be worse now that it is getting colder outside and inside...not sure if that is related or just a coincidence.

Will post back tomorrow with an update.

Unplugged the HDD and BDR, along with USB keyboard and mouse and still the same issue. Although it only took about 2 attempts to get it to work instead of the 4 or so normally, but it was a little warmer today (still not sure if this is relevant).

Other than replacement, is there a way to troubleshoot between MB and PSU? Something is just not allowing enough juice to get to the GPU even though the fans on it spin when the computer is turned on. I also tried moving the GPU power cord PSU plug-ins around on the PSU since it is modular but after leaving it off for several hours while I went to work today, it took the same 2x tries to get it to boot with video.

Back