Need to pick a motherboard.

skudmunky

[H]ard|Gawd
Alright, here's the deal. I've picked out ram (OCZ 2x512 DDR2 800), PSU, CPU (E4300) and everything else I need for a system but I can't decide which motherboard to get.

I was all set on the Gigabyte DS3, but I've heard there may be ram voltage problems. The OCZ ram works at 2.1 volts, would I be able to boot the boards with the stock 1.8 volts and then set the voltage manually, or will it not boot at all. Also, with all the different revisions going around, what are my chances of getting a Rev 2?

The Asus P5B-E also looks like a good choice, but it's a good ~$20 more expensive, and I'm trying to stay as cheap as possible. Also, on a purely silly note, brown PCB = bleagh.

The Asus P5N-SLI looks nice, but people are reporting vdroop problems, and I'm planning to overclock a lot. Would this be a problem?

Also, of all these boards, AFAIK only the P5N-SLI (since the Rev 3.3 DS3 isn't out yet) supports 1333FSB and the new Quad cores, and I'd like the option to drop a quad core in here in a year or 2, if amd hasn't kicked up the pace yet.

I want to order within the next 2 days so I can take advantage of the rebates on the ram and PSU I've selected.

thanks in advance.

I've picked out ram

You should choose the RAM to suit the MB. MB features should be driving your choice more than RAM brand.

I was all set on the Gigabyte DS3, but I've heard there may be ram voltage problems. The OCZ ram works at 2.1 volts, would I be able to boot the boards with the stock 1.8 volts and then set the voltage manually, or will it not boot at all.

My DQ6 worked fine at 1.8V and I was able to modify the RAM timing and voltage to recommended settings a couple of days later. You shouldn't have a problem.

true, but the OCZ ram has nice timings for the price, especially with the $13 MIR. I'm now torn between the P5N-SLI and the DS3, I guess its really a matter of preference?

true, but the OCZ ram has nice timings for the price, especially with the $13 MIR. I'm now torn between the P5N-SLI and the DS3, I guess its really a matter of preference?

Don't get the P5N-SLI... I've heard bad things about it.

Either go for the P5B-e, Deluxe, or the Gigabyte board.

i agree with the other poster, you should pick your MB first and then pick the RAM.

OCZ and rebates is a common thing..I wouldn't be too hung up on it. also there's a report out there that says RAM prices should be dropping in the coming month(s) due to excess inventory.

Back