Netgear WNDR3700 VPN

freakyhair

Limp Gawd
I was just seeing if anyone has had luck using the Netgear WNDR3700 while using a VPN. I ask because I purchased this router, and have loved the speeds both wired and wireless, except on my work computer when using VPN. The connection to my main office is VERY slow, and disconnects a lot. When I connect my work computer directly through my cable modem, the VPN works great. I have tried using DMZ, and it did not help. While I understand a lot of this, I am certainly NOT a networking expert.

I asked about opening ports, and our IT person said that I might need to choose a new router, one that can support the following (For reference, we use Watchguard Mobile VPN):
Authentication Algorithm: MD5-HMAC
Encryption Algorithm: DES-CBC

He recommended these models: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...er-w4PT-Switch-(BEFVP41)&c=Wired Routers&sku=

OR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156028

So I guess does anyone have any hints to just use the WNDR3700?

If not, can I purchase one of the other two routers, use that as the main router with my work computer and the WNDR3700 plugged into it?

Thanks!

allowing VPN passthrough is not a big deal.

I didn't realize it would be a big deal, and the WDNR3700 seems to be highly recommended, and for the most part has worked well for me....hoping we find a work-around.

In your web admin, do you see any checkboxes/options to allow PPTP/L2P/IPSec VPN passthrough?
Is there a checkbox for UPnP?

Of these, I only see the UPnP. It is turned on. The 'UPnP Portmap Table' is empty, if that means anything though.

I didn't realize it would be a big deal, and the WDNR3700 seems to be highly recommended, and for the most part has worked well for me....hoping we find a work-around.

Doing a quick Google shows some people have issues, and with others it works fine. Hmmm....found your post over at netgears forums too.

What make/model "modem" is the Netgear connected to?

I'm assuming that there is not a good answer to the problem using just the WNDR3700 (i've been searching more, still did not find anything comparable to my situation.)

So would my next best bet be to use a router that is specified to work with the security protocals, and use that as my primary router, and connect the WNDR3700 to the primary (to keep my wireless.) Or is there a problem with that?

Would installing DD-WRT on your router give you the capability to do this?
Just a suggestion

Considering a lot of people have bricked their wndr3700 in attempting to flash it to dd-wrt....unless you don't mind turning it into a paperweight and tossing away 150 bucks if it doesn't work...I'd approach that option with caution and do a lot of reading up over on dd-wrt.com. It doesn't appear to be fully supported yet, and may require some special hoops to perform the flash, and according to the many posts I just read...the acceptance of making a 150 dollar paperweight if it goes wrong and bricks like it did for many.

I don't have an answer as to why your VPN isn't working with it. The wndr3700 is advertised as having VPN passthough, and based on Googling your subject, it's working fine for many people with more standard VPN clients. But perhaps there's something "odd" about the Watchguard VPN client...which makes me wonder if other make/model routers create issues with the Watchguard VPN too.

Just to double check with you, does your Netgear have the latest firmware?

Back