Network Loggin

Phantom

n00b
I work for a doctor and I am working on training to be the medical bill er we use an EMR (electronic medical records) system. It all runs to a data base on the server. Now the small problem that I am having is I cannot seem to get the Log in screen to come up with the "log on to" Box. I have it currently set to come up with the 9x style log in. How can I get the Log on to, to come up so I can get on?

If I go to run and type in //servername/ it will come up with the log in and let me get in to the server shared files for that account. The internet although will not connect.

Also is there any program that will let me logon the the server without using the win logon. The reason for that is it is the laptop that I am using is my personal and I will be using it off and on for the next month or so until we get every thing set up and make sure that for the new systems we will be setting up will run seamless on it (you do not want the Doc to use a slow comp and get grumpy when viewing your echos)

The laptop that I am using is an Emachines M6811 The one that he will be getting is the gateway version with the 4000+ and 1g ram.

All I am going to say is this:

Hire a professional since it doesn't sound like the network is setup correctly. No offense, but it doesn't sound like you've got enough "experience" to be messing with the network.

I do not see the need to hire a professional so come in and get on one computer and add the "log on to" box I thought the setting to turn it on is under administrative tools and then local security policies so I can set it to allow me to log on to the networks shared user profile that all of the computers use. I do not have that in admin tools. I'm not sure if I am looking in the wrong place or if there is another option that needs to be turned on in windows.

BTW the network works for the 10 computers currently running on it and the people that set it up are 650mi away.

Thanks for your help.

I am running Win XP Home, the server is Win server2003 for small businesses. It is set up as a domain enviroment named KONI and the server is LAXI they are running from the same machine so when I get in to the shared files on the network showing the full path I believe it should look like this //KONI/LAXI/.

Phantom said:
I am running Win XP Home, the server is Win server2003 for small businesses. It is set up as a domain enviroment named KONI and the server is LAXI they are running from the same machine so when I get in to the shared files on the network showing the full path I believe it should look like this //KONI/LAXI/.

This is the reason why I say hire a professional. You don't have the necessary experience, knowledge or skills to be messing with the network. Especially for a business.

FYI - You can't join a machine running XP Home to a domain environment. The machine needs to be XP Pro. You efforts are futile until the workstation is running XP Pro.

Back