new case or sound dampening?

Asian Dub Foundation

Supreme [H]ardness
so i have sort of a problem.

with two opties (with its two coolers), and a GTX and stuff all stuffed into my super lan boy, the thing is getting so loud to the point that it is getting annoying (and the NF4 NB fan dosent help either).

my question is, should i just stuff some sound dampening foam in there, or buy a whole new silent case like a P180?

thx

To tell you the truth, I built a rig with sound dampening and stuff (Antec P150) and it didn't seem to help at all. If I were you I'd look at a fan controller, maybe get some slower moving fans on the heatsinks for the processors, and try to swap out the NF4 NB heatsink with something else. For the GTX you could look at the NV Silencers (which exhaust the hot air out of the case) or the Zalman VF-700CU (those things are pretty quiet even at 12v, to tell you the anything above like 23db bugs me, and I couldn't tell the difference between the VF-700CU at 12v or 5v)

What Hexus0 said.

Try to isolate the offending noise-sources and deal with them individually.

Visit the silentpcreview site for extensive articles on methods, techniques and materials for silencing your system.

Hope this helps!

foam, the same stuff that used to come with Maxtor and Western Digital HArd drives in cardboard boxes is good for sound deadening. Also, create an L shaped Back board behind your computer ouf of wool or 703 Material.

then add one 1" layer of foam batting behind the material. then glue behind the main fascia.

should look like this when done.
=======
---------- ||
-PC....| ||
---------| ||
---------| ||
where = is the sound deadened board wrapped in wool and 703 material.
you can use cardboard as the base, or a simple piece of plywood.

how good is dynamat exactly? Ive seen mention of it, but have yet to see a "review" from anyone in the forums.

dynamat is good. But i usually couple that with the rubber silencers that goes around the case fans and power supply. You can usually find them at frozencpu or directron.com.But yes dynamat is good. You can also use foam and if your a modder there are a thousand and one other stuff you can use. But the easy and cheap way is dynamat or akasa. Both are the same product but just named different.

Asian Dub Foundation said:
thx for all the help guys... i think ill go ahead and get some dynamat and some rubber fan mounts

Dont forget the rubber psu mount.

Flowable silicone. Thicker is better. It's the same stuff they make the gaskets out of, but way cheaper and works WAY better.
Just apply a bit around the edges where surfaces meet. Cuts down the metal to metal vibration DRAMATICALLY.
And cut out every grille you can find. Replace them with wire grilles if you must. Flat grilles are NOISY and cut airflow.

AreEss said:
Flowable silicone. Thicker is better. It's the same stuff they make the gaskets out of, but way cheaper and works WAY better.
Just apply a bit around the edges where surfaces meet. Cuts down the metal to metal vibration DRAMATICALLY.
And cut out every grille you can find. Replace them with wire grilles if you must. Flat grilles are NOISY and cut airflow.

Yup familiar with this stuff. But if your a frequent upgrader and exchange parts regularly than this stuff gets messy.

why don't you join us at SPCR? ;)

I've heard that dynamat isn't too effective

what you can do

-get fan controller as mentioned above

-vinyl tiles to "deaden" the panels, dollar store has plenty there's plenty in the bay area :)

or buy the p150 :)

the super lan boy has a case window, while cool looking, doesn't help much noise wise

noesis said:
Yup familiar with this stuff. But if your a frequent upgrader and exchange parts regularly than this stuff gets messy.

I haven't had that problem too badly as of yet, so long as you're mindful that it peels off. Sometimes I put it directly on parts too, cut down on that problem.

AreEss said:
I haven't had that problem too badly as of yet, so long as you're mindful that it peels off. Sometimes I put it directly on parts too, cut down on that problem.

Im not disagreeing with you. All im saying is that for me. Dynamat and other stuff is more expedient since im always upgrading and tweaking my computers.

Back