New Direct X is Available

already there... ;)

dxdiag-win7-1.png

Just a heads up, but you don't need to update DirectX. Games are compiled using the various releases, and use specific DLLs for the release (ie, the d3dx9_xx.dll, d3dx10_xx.dll files). Regardless of what you have installed, games will only use the specific version they are compiled for, and for passing the Microsoft certification, are required to install the DirectX version they require when they do their thing.

So what happens when you install 5 games and each game has a 'specific' dll version but are now overwritten by the last you game install. Are the other games going to suffer? Are there multiple versions of the same dll? Isn't the forced DX installs games perform essentially the redistributable itself?

Just wondering.....

So what happens when you install 5 games and each game has a 'specific' dll version but are now overwritten by the last you game install. Are the other games going to suffer? Are there multiple versions of the same dll? Isn't the forced DX installs games perform essentially the redistributable itself?

Just wondering.....

Side by side takes care of multiple versions of .dlls.

Just wondering.....

Each monthly release is based on a new d3dx9_xx.dll, so games installing DirectX over and over and just reinstalling the same DLLs. There is only one version of the DLL for the specific month's release, and developers can either install every DLL that DirectX has ever had, or just install the specific month's point release and install the version that they need. In the end, games will only ever run with the DirectX release that the game was compiled with, which is why each new month has a new _xx version number.

As for the redist, yes the install for games is essentially the redistributable, but instead of installing everything under the sun, it allows developers to only install the components that they need from the specific month's DX release that they are using, minimizing the overall footprint and count of unnecessary DLLs in your system folder.

Shit, I learn something new every day. Thanks for the info all.

So let's say I do a fresh install of Win7. I then run the redist to freshen things up. From that point on, I allow the games to handle any DX specifics. Would that be the optimal strategy?

Shit, I learn something new every day. Thanks for the info all.

So let's say I do a fresh install of Win7. I then run the redist to freshen things up. From that point on, I allow the games to handle any DX specifics. Would that be the optimal strategy?

In all likelihood, the Windows 7 install will already have everything you need (just whatever components/versions Windows 7 itself needs --- I haven't actually checked what it installs), then games should deal with themselves. I know for most Steam games, the first check while running is always for proper DLL installs.

So DirectX 11 is not new?

I believe DX12 is newer. :rolleyes:

He was referring to the runtimes, which get updated every so often. Usually Microsoft releases updates quarterly but it's been several months since the last update - hence the notification.

So DirectX 11 is not new?

I get the same information about DirectX 11 that you posted in your screen shot. First time I have looked at it. I think it has been in W7 for a long time.

What video card are you running?

I believe DX12 is newer. :rolleyes:

He was referring to the runtimes, which get updated every so often. Usually Microsoft releases updates quarterly but it's been several months since the last update - hence the notification.

DX12? I don't believe that's been released yet.

Back