New GeForce 6800 Ultra

EmbraceThePenguin

Limp Gawd
Ok, so I finished some work installing 2 Linux servers for a partner in Calif for their bus. and instead of paying me "Money", they bought me a new eVga GeForce 6800 Ultra 256 and a Antec Truecontrol 550w power supply.

I got them installed and did some initial tests on it (Ran various benchmarks on it and was impressed). Also played HL2 and Doom3 and all I have to say is FREAKEN 'A'. Its pretty and fast.

However, on older games, like HL mod Day of Defeat, UT2004, and FS2004, the FPS indicates the same numbers I got on my GeForce 5900 Ultra 256. I was a little dissapointed in this.

Are the new fangled cards only optimized for NEW generation games and the older games basically run the same as any other older cards?

Just curious, cause I expected more than 40 FPS out of FS2004 with no clouds and the same settings I got 40 FPS out of with my 5900. Also, UT2004 will hit about 70 to 80. On my 5900, I would get that too. Day of Defeat is very dissapointing; on my 5900 I would get solid 100 fps, on my 6800 Ultra, I get 70 to 80 FPS.

For the reacord, I ran driver cleaner, updated my BIOS, Chipset Drivers, Lastest NVidia for their web site, not the beta drivers or some other "Person's" version of the driver. I have done eveything except reinstall Windows.

I must say, even though I didn't actually PAY for the card, I dont think I would buy one at $515. Just doesnt seem worth it to me.

Anyone else seeing this or is it just me.

Thanks!!!

Joe

Well, I have it set to the same as when I had my 5900 installed. 4x AA and 4x AF and vsync is always dissabled. In the games, the resolution is 1280x1024. All the settings are the same as I didnt reinstall Windows and/or the games.

Thanks for the reply.

Joe

That’s odd. Do you have the latest drivers? You should defiantly see a jump even at those settings.

Yeah, I have the latest from the NVidia site as of yesterday (66.93).

I thought it was odd too, but I see a GREAT improvement in newer games.

Very strange indeed.

Joe

you probably won't see an improvement in old games probably because your old graphics card was not the bottleneck in those games... a 5900 is way more than adequate for ut2004 and half life 1. a 6800 ultra is overkill for these games, and should be able to pump out 8x AA and 16x AF no worries. your CPU is most likely the bottleneck.

newer games play better on the 6800 ultra because they need a lot of GPU power in addition to the CPU.

</2cents>

Back