New iPod Shuffle

That sucks that you have to use their headphones. And even if I loved their headphones my usage of the shuffle makes it far more convenient to use the dial.

Steve's gone for a few weeks and the designer's run amuck. I will never buy something I can't use my own headphones for. At least they kept the old shuffle around.

Hopefully they'll put out a dongle or something that lets you use your own headphones. What are you supposed to do if the ones that come with it break?

Its cool how small it is, and they could never make something that small without headphone controls.

I wish they would just make a dongle like CEpeep suggested. O, and if the ones that come with it break I am sure apple will sell the headphones on their own ;)

I really don't think they thought this over real well...

it looks like you could use your own headphones, you just won't be able to control the thing at all.
Which would be useless...

Apparently even Mac fanatics hate it:

Rating (257 Positives; 411 Negatives)

from MacRumors.com... ;)

The headphone thing will kill it, like FIRE!!! But there are headphones on the market now designed for the iPhone/iPod touch that have the bud inline to control things, so you're NOT totally locked into just those shitty white earbuds, there ARE other options, but not "headphones" so far with such a control bud inline, just IEMs like the etymotic hf2 or the newer hf5 and some other brands as well.

Yes, it's shitty just like the white earbuds themselves, and yes, it's a very bad idea, but it's Apple - they don't do what consumers want, they do what they want... and then the Cult follows. ;)

Yeah, that's pretty silly. I was just thinking the other day about getting a shuffle for the gym, I'll pick up one of the refurb old models.

Just to clear the air for people who haven't really read into it, Apple is coming out with an adapter that will allow any headphones to be used, aswell as many 3rd party manufactures designing Shuffle specific headphones.

I'm really not impressed with the overall design. Minimalism is interesting until it's absolute absence of everything, which is basically what the new shuffle is. The new shuffle is a boring, uninspired monolithic brick. Being tied to Apple buds is pretty suck too, obviously.

Liked the old one much, much better. It was colorful, fun and simple -- without being too simple.

I just don't understand Apple and their "buttons are evil" mentality. If you're able to cut out superfluous buttons when you can, that's great, but you should never go overboard with the idea.

we've taken the ease of pressing a few buttons that do what they're labeled to do, and incorporated them into a series of confusing morsecode like clicks in a single button.

seriously, an ipod without any buttons? When I first read about this this morning I thought it was a joke.
Also apple buds have never lasted longer than a month for me, and I've gone through probably 6 different ipods and now an iphone over the years, the buds always suck and crap out.

Oh and you can use 3rd party headphones, you just have to buy an adaptor with apple's minimum adaptor price of $30. Kinda negates the whole 'low-cost' part of the ipod shuffle.

Steve's gone for a few weeks and the designer's run amuck. I will never buy something I can't use my own headphones for. At least they kept the old shuffle around.

QFT, I think once the old shuffle disappears completely, Sandisk is going to sell ALOT more Sansa Clips......

Apparently even Mac fanatics hate it:

from MacRumors.com... ;)

The headphone thing will kill it, like FIRE!!! But there are headphones on the market now designed for the iPhone/iPod touch that have the bud inline to control things, so you're NOT totally locked into just those shitty white earbuds, there ARE other options, but not "headphones" so far with such a control bud inline, just IEMs like the etymotic hf2 or the newer hf5 and some other brands as well.

Yes, it's shitty just like the white earbuds themselves, and yes, it's a very bad idea, but it's Apple - they don't do what consumers want, they do what they want... and then the Cult follows. ;)

of course someone is liable to come up with an inline adapter... unfortunately, it'll probably be as big as the shuffle itself.... I think Apple really shot themselves in the foot with this one.... And i'm afraid for the world if the old shuffle was too big and complicated for people.....

http://www.target.com/Philips-iPhone-Microphone-Adapter/dp/B0015C5CSM

I'll bet you an iPod Shuffle that works just fine for the new model... with any headphones, same principle on the clicks... ;)

But it's very hard to find these in Target stores. I've gone to 7 different locations here in Vegas and they never have 'em, and I've even told the clerks if they get 'em in stock I'll pay 'em a finders fee for calling me. Haven't heard a peep in months of searching... go figure.

I agree - I want to use my $500 SHURE E5's and not some taiwanese .04 cent earbuds.

LOL I think you mean 4 cent. But maybe they are .04 cents there so cheap! It is weird they did this... Maybe... Wonder if there will be controller for other headphones.

This is just a case of trying to innovate where no more innovation was needed with current technology.

The 2G Shuffle is great, I see no reason to try and make it smaller at a loss of all buttons. Seriously, the 2G shuffle is TINY in person.

What does this really gain you? Seems like you just loose all controls except for on the cord just to save barely any size.

I wonder if any designs included controls on the unit? Be interesting if so. This surprised many of the community.

This thing is all about Voice Over, which allows more functionality in the unit than the previous. Having a remote embedded into the headphones is nothing new, it's been done for a long time. It just sucks that you can't go back a song, maybe a revision will fix that. But yeah Voice Over is the innovation that will allow for more complex menu structures and navigation without having to use a screen. Now I just wonder if it'll have all of the major languages available or will I have to get one if I have songs listed in a different language.

This looks like a case of trying to innovate when there was really no need to.
Maybe that is why they had a quiet release. Or was it not quiet? I had no idea something like this was coming.

Well, it may just be Apple trying to innovate, but it looks more like dry ideas and when something works you don't need to updated it every year. I think some people were saying that Apple will release an adapter for those wishing to use other earbuds as theirs suck bad.

LOL I think you mean 4 cent. But maybe they are .04 cents there so cheap! It is weird they did this... Maybe... Wonder if there will be controller for other headphones.
I did mean 4 cents. I was going to do $4 but thought that might be too generous.

Having a remote embedded into the headphones is nothing new, it's been done for a long time. It just sucks that you can't go back a song, maybe a revision will fix that.

If I remember the chart correctly, you can go back a song. You just have to hit that middle button three times in a row... :rolleyes:

But yeah Voice Over is the innovation that will allow for more complex menu structures and navigation without having to use a screen.

I'd rather have the screen. I saw the video demonstration and I'm being reminded of being on the phone, dealing with an automated system.

I feel less of a man if I wore that thing. Why does everything need to be so small these days? I wouldn't use that thing if someone gave it to me.

What happened to Apple's design team? At least the slightly smaller second gen Shuffle had the controls on the actual unit and not on the earbuds.

Im going to disagree and come out and say that I want one.

Im actually really excited about this thing, its one of the coolest ipods I've seen in a while.

I like the speech thing, the size is amazing, and I think the controls will be better on the headphone.

3rd party vendows already announced new dongles so you can use whatever headphones you like.... this is innovation. no one has done anyhting like this and it works

Im going to disagree and come out and say that I want one.

Im actually really excited about this thing, its one of the coolest ipods I've seen in a while.

I like the speech thing, the size is amazing, and I think the controls will be better on the headphone.

3rd party vendows already announced new dongles so you can use whatever headphones you like.... this is innovation. no one has done anyhting like this and it works

It's innovation for you to have to buy a dongle to use your own headphones? I call that "gimp." There is more than enough space on that player to put the controls on it. Since when did small ever become the "new hotness?"

Pretty soon, Apple's gonna make the Shuffle even smaller a la
pico.jpg

I agree on the headphones they just want you to buy there shit but it is also pretty cool how small it is

Joe, Engadget AND Gizmodo have already confirmed using any headphones works fine, you just have no control over it.

Regardless, there is going to be plenty of small adapters that will let you use any headphones and control it.

This isn't about headphones, it's about the remote control bud capability. Sure anybody can plug any headphones in but... how are you gonna change songs, adjust the volume (yes some headphones have inline volume, still not the point), eh?

Back