New LG W2600HP 26" S-IPS

No, no. I like this forum in general. I have got something really helpful from here. But nevertheless - tons of trash. The public is the public.
I just accept it as it is.

Let's throw it on LG and theirt inability to deliver testing monitors to various reviewers and/or magazines ;)

Hello everyone

I'm about to buy that S-IPS model....anyone with that particular model?

Hi everyone,

I registered here since I bought the S-IPS W2600HP so let's test it. What do you guys want to know?

So far from what I've noticed:

-not much backlight bleeding - visable only on full screen black
-like promised good contrast and sharp text
-5ms response time similar to my Samsung 970P
-not lound

Now I can only compare it to:
-Samsung 970P PVA which has some contrast issues
-Samsung 920T at work
-LG 24inch TN (246W I believe) at my friend

Now there's only 1 thing that bothers me on both the new LG and the old 970P. It's best described as a tearing effect that some folks have in video games but I have it on desktop if I for instance grab a picture and drag it from left to right. (up and down works ok).

Full screen picture won't work you have to make it smaller and then drag it left/right.
Any idea?
(I have geforce 7600GT)

Can you experience any banding?

What about video and games performance? Maybe you could make a little video or post some pictures. Would appreciate that.

hi Vitez,

Would you please post a photo showing the backlight bleed so that we get an idea of how bad it is? Also, is this monitor too bright? Can you lower the brightness settings for comfortable reading - internet surfing? What about color uniformity? Any chance that you have calibrated the monitor?

Thanks a lot.

As soon as I find time you'll get pics and video all in dark.

You mean color banding or fog banding? I've noticed none I watched movie The Mist so...there's plenty of fog there.

Brightness is fine at nigh I set it to 50 and it's all good. Contrast is great as well. Backlight bleeding hardly noticable and only on black background!

I mean really if there was something that would bother me I would admit it or return the LCD. Every time I work on my PC the LG amazes me.

The only thing not clear to me is what's best described as picture tearing effect if you drag a small picutre from left to right but it's the same on my samsung so I guess it's not a LG's thing. I'll post video and pics during weekend to seem what I mean!

edit: no I havent calibrated anything I'm no expert for LCD's so keep that in mind...

You mean color banding or fog banding?
Colour Banding.When a gradient will not appear with a smooth transition between the colour and luminance values, but instead more like bands, stripes.
If you can hook it up to a pc and display a gradient we will be able to see if there is banding or tithering.

Brightness is fine at nigh I set it to 50 and it's all good.
If you reduce brightness to zero, is it black or still bright?
This is important for people who want to use this display for photo editing work and calibrate it properly.
And how about viewing angles? Can you post some pictures?
The only thing not clear to me is what's best described as picture tearing effect if you drag a small picutre from left to right .
that sounds rather like a graphics card driver issue.

-Ok I get it. So do you have a color gradient pic?? I haven't googled anything.

-yes brightness to 0 and you can still work it's bright enough, far from dark.
At night I set brightness somewhere between 30 and 40 rather than 50.

-Viewing angles are fine I'm used to that I had S-PVA Samsung 970p before and still using it.

-I promise hi res pics tomorrow.

-yeah might be driver issue but there are not many 2D options there - only 3D stuff. You guys don't have this problem?

And yes I run LG via DVI although HDMI is possible (you don't get the converter with it) on my MSI geforce 7600GT

I think of W2600HP as a very good LCD but not a pro LCD. And sure I'm interested in more advanced test although I already have it and I'm not going to return it.
The reson I say that is because I bought it without checking it out first since there is no plate to see it...
I think a pro 26 inch LCD would cost 2000 Euros +

thanks for the link and yes I can see the banding

like I said it's good stuff but not a pro stuff ;)

I got the LG W2600H-FP, the TN panel from FutureShop for CAN $599.

DVI using a 8800GT, running a couple of games, Futuremark 3DMark and photoshop. I'm quite happy with the display, it's bright, with excellent color reproduction (looking at my digital pics). No dead pixels. Playing BioShock is amazing at that size! I get the IMAX feeling!! :)

So, to my eyes, this 25.5" TN screen is good enough. You can't beat the price for the size. I wonder how much better would the IPS panel be... Is it really worth the $200-300 more you are paying for?

Vitez, what exactly is the monitor status in the 9th photo from top?

The one with the redish right corner.

I was interested for purchasing this monitor and i was lucky i could see it in a shop.

Too bad that the had connected it through a VGA splitter along with other monitors...

Though, i spent a few minutes playing with the monitors OSD and playing some 720p videos that they had in the connected machine...I couldn't find any display flaws actually...

felix_w it's full screen black, I have an app actually for death pixel checking where I can set full screen color of my choice.

the monitor really looks better live than on these pics

You can all find the same blue beach scene picture here:

http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper_beta/details/152/tulum.html

I posted this for the reason that everyone can understand how a wide gamut monitor can really saturate colors. On a standard gamut monitor the blue/green looks less intense.

Vitez, you can probably change brightness and contrast controls to get smoother gradients/less banding out of the monitor.

It's too bad the S-IPS version is not available in North America. I would think LG can keep the cost pretty low and be competitive with the DS-26x from Doublesight, and definitely undercut the Planar 26".

C'mon LG, we don't ALL shop at Best buy only ;)

Regards,

10e

Well, that doesn't look that bad, does it?
For professional work this is considered far from ideal:
LG_W2600HP_Blue_Eye_Pro.png
Just look at the other monitor grpahs. Even the S-PVA 275T, or the CRT..

For professional work this is considered far from ideal:
LG_W2600HP_Blue_Eye_Pro.png
Just look at the other monitor grpahs. Even the S-PVA 275T, or the CRT..

Sorry, my bad, I didn't read it properly, I thought that the Samsung 275T result is for LG :-[

These results for the LG are sub-par.

Generally the Samsung result is fairly typical of an above average quality LCD panel, and the CRT results are also quite good, so there must be something funny with the LG's internal calibration.

I have seen monitors with horrible color calibration out of the box look excellent with calibration (ie. from Lacie's Blue Eye) and have very low delta E94 results, so this is pretty disappointing.

Considering that other monitors with the same or similar panel can achieve average Delta E of under 1 without much difficulty with this package, it looks like the LG needs a lot of further cusomization or adjustments to get it down further.

Regards,

10e

Damn this was a useless thread. 10 pages and only a couple of pictures and way too many comments regarding the useless TN version.

I think it looks ok for a 26" S-ips for about 900$ (converted from danish currency to US)
It's by far the fastest 26" s.ips around. prad.de measured max 16ms input lag: http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2008/review-lg-w2600hp-part14.html#Responsiveness

Was there really only one owner of this screen in the thread ?
I would like some more comments about the experienced 2D tearing

You guys need to stop linking to the TN version that absolutely no-one cares about. :p

Is it actually confirmed that the W2600H-PF has a TN panel?
I just bought one online and the seller insists that's the model number and he said in the
manual that came with the panel it say's it's a s-ips panel...

Looks like it must be using a LED backlighting, otherwise it would be impossible to achieve 103% NTSC color gamut...

I got this monitor a few days ago, and I have to say I really like it.

The price here in Greece was slashed from 920 euros to 499 so pretty much everyone in the market for a new large monitor bought one...

Build quality is excellent, it looks great, and once calibrated the images are wonderful.

However I have one issue with it - and that is the backlight bleeding issue.

From looking at Vitez's photos and the photo from prad.de's review I can say that at least LG's backlight bleed is consistent - I too have 2 faint white clouds on the left side and one on the lower right side (there's also a barely noticeable cloud on the upper right corner but it only shows up on the camera).

Now I'm pretty much used to backlight bleed - my older LG 2010B SIPS TFT also exhibited this but it never bothered me since even in dark movies and games it wasnt distracting.

However I am concerned with the backlight bleed on the w2600hp as I believe it causes a slight (but noticeable) color shift across the monitor.

Specifically if you examine Vitez's photos and mine above you can see that the backlight bleeding 'clouds' on the left part of the screen are white and the ones on the right are more yellow/reddish looking.

This causes the leftmost part of the screen to exhibit a slightly blue-ish tint and the right part to exhibit a yellowish tint.

My camera can't really capture slight tint changes, but it is there.

I work with Photoshop a lot and thats how I initially noticed it. Most people can't spot this, but now that I know its there it annoys me, since once the eye adapts I can spot this 'color shift' even in general use (i.e. while browsing etc.)

I called LG about this and they said it doesn't sound normal so they will be contacting me to arrange a pickup so that they can check the monitor.

What do you guys think? Am I being overly nit-picky? Should I risk sending the monitor back and getting a new one that has a different problem (i.e. dead pixels)?

My friend, if I am not mistaken, these tints you describe are inherited characteristics in S-IPS panels, and are visible only in totally black backgrounds. I have an AS-IPS NEC 20WGX2 and it has the same problem, but I don't notice it when browsing, for example. Maybe it's the size of the monitor that widens the angles at which you see the corners and it makes the problem more visible.

BTW, ekanes upgrade to firmware stin LG? Thessaloniki i Athina eisai?

The white 'clouds' is fairly standard backlight bleeding, this doesn't bother me.

But if you look closely, the backlight bleed on the left side is white and on the right side its yellowish.

This in turn causes a color shift across the screen, meaning that colors on the left side of the screen have a slight blueish tint and colors on the right side of the screen have a yellow tint, and this is very bothersome.

I have contacted LG about this and am awaiting their decision, either way I will request a new monitor...

<greek>

eimai Athina, den exw paei akoma gia anavathmisi alla ap oti mou eipan ap tin LG erxontai spiti sou me kourier pairnoun tin othoni tin anavathmizoun kai meta stin fernoun, ola tsampa. Apla egw tha zitisw antikatastasi othonis mias kai afto einai problima panel, kai oxi firmware...

</greek>

Hey cool! More Greeks :)

<Somewhat Greek> :)

Yia sas.

Afti asprila fainetai etsi ama eisai pio makria apo to screen? Mpori na einai afto to "white glow" pou exw thee se alla H-IPS monitors mai afto to LG panel (26").

Kalo pou anevenoune to firmware tsampa horis provlima.

All the best, nice to see you here.

Guys as I said the white glow is normal, I had that in older my 20,1" SIPS monitor.

But the 'gradient' issue I hadn't encountered before... and once you spot it, you always see it :(

When displaying gray colors across the screen its especially annoying...

P.S. Yia sou file 10e! :)

I went by a friend's place today and I checked out his 26" Samsung 2693HM monitor.

It had a horrible backlight gradient from top to bottom, the difference was noticeable everywhere, even in text when browsing, the top half of the screen is much darker than the lower half.

It kinda made me feel about my screen's 'gradient' problem. Now I'm not so sure I wanna return it - I wouldn't want to get one with a dead pixel or an even worse gradient issue...

Either way, LG called me to let me know that the latest firmware is available and that they will be picking up my monitor next week in order to flash it and then return it to me... :)

hello, is this the fastest non TN monitor aviable? i was searching for one monitor for gaming with a good image quality and on prade.de review was written it has less than 1 frame of input lag, can anybody tell me something about this? thanks 4 help

AFAIK, yes. I have yet to see faster non-TN screen when input lag is concerned. Is this monitor (IPS version, not TN one) still available though?

Does anyone know the difference between the
W2600HP-BN and the W2600HP-BF?
They seem to both have S-IPS and same specs.

I'm also curious what your experiences are with this monitor since it's already a few months ago since somebody wrote an experience.

I know that prad.de wrote that gaming wouldn't be an issue on this S-IPS panel, but what are your experiences now after a few months using it?

Back