New LGA 1155 BUILD

MFDOOM1

Limp Gawd
Alright to make things easy for all of us here is what I am looking to do with my build:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

I'll be doing high resolution gaming, even surround, photoshop, sketchup and autoCAD

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

my budget 1200.00

3) Where do you live?

live in hot Arizona! Currently have my current cpu under the h50, wondering the h70 will help.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

Cpu, RAM, and motherboard, and budget allows ssd ( really want an intel 510 120g)

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

evga sli gtx 460's for now, 1tb hard for movies, files, etc, 500g hitachi sata 3 current o/s drive,fractal define xl, dvd burner, pny 9500 gt ( runs dells) and lastly my xfx 750w psu

6) Will you be overclocking?

Yes

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?

I have a benq 241VW and two dell 2007fp, want to go to dell 3011 when budget permits

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

asap will buy piece by piece

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.

Would love raid, want also triple sli support, usb 3.0 and sata 6, esata, Bluetooth optional choice.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Have win 7 home 64 bit

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

asap will buy piece by piece

Big red flag here: What exactly do you mean piece by piece?

Oh and the H70 won't help out that much since your ambient temperature is still high.

Prelim build for now:
$520 - Intel Core i7 2600K + Asus P8P67 WS REVOLUTION Intel P67 / NVIDIA NF200 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
$164 - 4 x G.Skill Ripjaw Series F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
---
Total: $684 plus tax and shipping

In case you're wondering about my recommendations:
- That Asus mobo happens to be the cheapest mobo I could find that had the right layout for a three dual-slot video card setup that triple SLI will end up being. In addition, it's a workstation class mobo so it should, theoritically, be more stable other P67 motherboards.
- Zero reason whatsoever (besides synthetic benchmark e-peen) to get RAM higher clocked than DDR3 1600.

Initially I was thinking the gigabyte UD7 would be a sensible board for you but having looked again it seems it wouldn't support TRI-SLI with double width cards in your case. Looks like the ASUS p8p67 WS revoloution would be a good fit. It's pricey but any board with the NF200 (which is needed for TRI-SLI) will be.

1x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131714&Tpk=p8p67 ws revoloution $260

RAM wise I'd just fill up with 16GB of DDR3 1333. Now that pretty much all overclocking is by mutliplier there is no need for overclocking ram to overclock your processor.

2x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231308 $160

CPU you may as well get the 2600K

1x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9115070&cm_re=i7-2600k-_-19-115-070-_-Product $315

total $735 which leaves plenty in the budget for a SSD. I don't follow the SSD market though so i'll leave someone else to make reccomendations on that.

Nice to see that danny came to the same conclusion as me motherboard wise and that he found a combo to bring the MB/CPU price down a little (though when I follow the link to danny's combo I see a price of $554.98 not $520).

Ram wise I think my pick is better than danny's it's both cheaper and has better timings.

Last edited:
3) Where do you live?
live in hot Arizona! Currently have my current cpu under the h50, wondering the h70 will help.

Oh and the H70 won't help out that much since your ambient temperature is still high.

As a geologist I fully support enjoying the outdoors. That being said, I usually recommend leaving the tower inside a comfortable, air conditioned room. ;)

thanks guys, I did look at the gigabyte ud7, I did it love it as first because of the single pci-x1 on top but in order to really use it I need to watercool the board, ya its an option in the future but not in the game plan right now. I do love the options on the asus p8p67 reminds me the x58 version, I loved that board but never had the cash for it. Now with a new job that has changed. As for the memory danny bui that you have recommended isnt that 1066 not 1333? I really would love to use 1600mhz ram not because of e-peen just feel like its a good choice between high end and low end I know its not necessary for overclocking but just feels right lol.
Here is my choices on the build:

Asus p8p67- 260

memory is either going to be between these choices... only reason why I choose these is because I have had a good experience with corsair ram, in fact I still have corsair ram that has lasted me five years and still going strong. anyways here are choices.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145324 corsair xms 8g ddr 1600 - 200 for two sets

or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145313 corsair dominator 8g 1600mhz- 240 for two sets

and cpu is the 2600k- 315

total cost: 775~815

With intel 510 ssd 120g- 315.00

total cost: 1090~1130

let me know what you guys think?

As for the memory danny bui that you have recommended isnt that 1066 not 1333? I really would love to use 1600mhz ram not because of e-peen just feel like its a good choice between high end and low end I know its not necessary for overclocking but just feels right lol.

Yeah that is DDR3 1066 RAM. My eyes must be playing tricks on me again. In any case, from an empirical standpoint, your reasoning for DDR3 1600 RAM still doesn't make sense: How exactly is it a good choice between high and low end when it's been shown that there's barely a difference between DDR3 2200 and DDR3 1333 RAM?

As for manufacturers go, I totally understand your desire to stick with Corsair and therefore pay the extra $36 premium. But neither of those Corsair RAM that you listed are the right choices. If you're gonna go with Corsair, then go with this RAM set:
$100 - Corsair Vengeance 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM

The main reason why the above RAM is a far better choice than the RAM you chose is because the Vengeance RAM is rated at 1.5V, well below the max RAM voltage for Core i series CPUs, which is 1.65V. The Corsair RAM you listed are all rated at 1.65V. The lower the RAM voltage, the lesser the heat on the CPU and therefore a higher chance of a higher OC..

Nice build. Has come a long way since your first post on the matter.

I didnt realize that the low voltage helped so much after some research, albeit they are not the most visual pleasing but Im sure I could change the heat spreaders some how... as for the cost its about the same in relation with the xms. So here is the new build, Im pretty sure its a concrete choice but let me know.

Asus p8p67- 260
2600k-315
Corsair Vengeance 16G 800mhz- 200
Intel 510- 120g- 315

total cost:1090.00

what do you think, and since I still have some money left over my budget any suggestions?

I didnt realize that the low voltage helped so much after some research, albeit they are not the most visual pleasing but Im sure I could change the heat spreaders some how... as for the cost its about the same in relation with the xms. So here is the new build, Im pretty sure its a concrete choice but let me know.

Asus p8p67- 260
2600k-315
Corsair Vengeance 16G 800mhz- 200
Intel 510- 120g- 315

total cost:1090.00

what do you think, and since I still have some money left over my budget any suggestions?
Pretty much the most cost-effective thing you can do with that left-over money is to get a larger SSD. And you might want to add "WS" at the end of the motherboard name since the "p8p67" name is used in several other Asus motherboards.
You should have gotten the Agility for 100 bucks, the 250gb one.
No that would have been a very bad idea:
1) That Agility SSD's real world performance is far slower than its stated specs due to the SF-1200 controller.
2) It's far slower and of lower quality than Intel or Crucial SSDs
3) As a result of a NAND change on the part of OCZ, some of their SSDs are even slower than the standard SF-1200 SSDs. That includes the Agility 2 line
4) OCZ's not-so-good track record with SSDs.

ya sorry just realize that lol on the p8p67WS, as for the ssd you recommended banzai, dont get me wrong its nice ssd, but I want the sata 3 spec really bad, 40g extra is nice but I love the 510 its so fast! what other kind of ssd's is are sata 3 and comparable to the 510? can go up to 400 in a sense.

Understandable. Completely forget that point. I have been eyeballing it since I am still on Sata II.

Back