New mobo/cpu/gpu, won't boot with ext DVD drive

ekuest

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey all! I just upgraded my gaming rig with a new G3258, gigabyte Z97n itx, and a R9 280X. I popped them all in, attached my water coolers, and it booted right into windows no problem! I think since my old mobo was also Gigabyte (H55n) it could use some of the drivers or something. Anyway I still want to reinstall Windows for obvious reasons, but I can't figure out how. Normally I do it from my install CD in my external DVD drive, but when I plug it in the computer refuses to even POST. It turns on, and all the fans and pumps stay on, but there is no signal at all to the monitor. If i unplug the external drive then it boots again. The usb ports do work in windows although I am assuming USB3 might have issues since I have no installed the new drivers. This is all long before it gets to Windows though, so Windows drivers shouldn't be an issue. I can't even get into the BIOS to set it to boot from eternal drives because it wont POST. I tried setting it without the drive plugged in but it only lets me choose boot order from sources that are currently available, so the only boot option it gives me is my SSD.

Anyone have any suggestions? All I can think of are unplugging the SSD and seeing if it gives me the default boot options then but even then if it won't POST with the DVD drive plugged in then I would still be stuck. Or making a boot USB stick instead of trying to use a DVD but I don't have one on hand and I am guessing that will probably still give me the same problem of not being able to boot with a bootable device plugged into USB. Plus it would take forever to install Windows 7 on a USB2 port.

Have you tried plugging in the drive into ALL the different USB ports on your motherboard (both usb 2 and 3)? You should even try the ones you would normally use for keyboard and mouse!

The reason your motherboard works in Windows 7 is because it includes generic Intel drivers. But you should update the drives using the disc included with your board for bes performance. Also, the USB 3.0 drivers have to be installed.

Have you tried plugging in the drive into ALL the different USB ports on your motherboard (both usb 2 and 3)? You should even try the ones you would normally use for keyboard and mouse!

The reason your motherboard works in Windows 7 is because it includes generic Intel drivers. But you should update the drives using the disc included with your board for bes performance. Also, the USB 3.0 drivers have to be installed.

yeah i think i got everything working after a lot of work last night. i think my external cd drive was wonky, which is weird because i used it to reinstall windows on all 3 of my computers about 2 months ago and had zero problems. anyway i decided to go the usb drive route instead and of course my only usb was 2GB so i had to use a usb adapter with a mircoSD card and of course all my microSD cards had stuff on them and overheated when i tried to copy that stuff and anyway... about 4 hours later i have a solid bootable win7 microSD card and a new install of win7 on my gaming rig. oddly, during install when it rebooted the first time during install, it started installing windows from the beginning again instead of continuing the current install. i ended up having to unplug the usb key while it was rebooting the second time and it continued with the install like normal. man i dont know why i have so many problems with computers.

Back